Disease Control in Captive Snake Collections - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Phobos
Disease Control in Captive Snake Collections

I am writing this because of the hoop-la and finger-pointing started on a different forum regarding infectious diseases introduced into private collection. Determining a source of infection in private reptile collections is very difficult at best. It's not like you slept with one woman (or man) you met the night before and woke up the next morning peeing molten lava. Then it’s easy to locate the infectious vector.

If private keepers actually set up quarantine for their newly acquired specimen and had the animal tested for different communicable diseases it would be possible to point the finger towards the individuals or company you purchased the animal from, however, very few private keepers actually undertake these precautionary measures. I am actually surprised that this sort of catastrophe problem is not more widespread considering the lack of hygiene in many of the facilities or collections that I visit.

I suggest that instead of focusing on finger-pointing you focus your attention on prevention and basic hygiene practices. Remember, that the source of the infection and YOU are ultimately responsible for the problem because no precautions were taken.

I suggest you download, read, and practice the protocols in the following two PDF’s. You'll find that it's much more productive than pointing fingers at each other.

One last thing, if you have a Vet, talk to them about this topic.

Al Coritz

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/bio...e_protocol.pdf

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/BRM/res...101Feb2005.pdf

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
Thank you for the links and the great analogy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!