hwo to get liscence/permit for venomous in NJ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
venomhiss
hwo to get liscence/permit for venomous in NJ?

i have heard of needing a permit in my state to own hots, whats the procedure to get that? id imagine taking of classes, but where do i sign up for it? how much does it cost? thanks

Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
DAND
I would guess your local DNR would have all the information you would need.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
venomhiss
DNR? whats that if i may ask, im a total newb to this, and still not sure if id want a hot but, perhaps if classes are involved or i start with something not too hot after i get a permit (if i do) id perhaps feel more comfortable

Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomhiss View Post
DNR? whats that if i may ask, im a total newb to this, and still not sure if id want a hot but, perhaps if classes are involved or i start with something not too hot after i get a permit (if i do) id perhaps feel more comfortable
DNR = Department of Natural Resources

Old 08-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
DAND
Try here :

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/

Old 08-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
If you know nothing about keeping venomous reptiles, then perhaps you should be researching the topic thoroughly before jumping in and getting a permit. You need to apprentice for a number of years under an educated and responsible keeper.

"and still not sure if id want a hot but, perhaps if classes are involved or i start with something not too hot after i get a permit (if i do) id perhaps feel more comfortable"

you need to do quite a bit of research.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
If you know nothing about keeping venomous reptiles, then perhaps you should be researching the topic thoroughly before jumping in and getting a permit. You need to apprentice for a number of years under an educated and responsible keeper.

"and still not sure if id want a hot but, perhaps if classes are involved or i start with something not too hot after i get a permit (if i do) id perhaps feel more comfortable"

you need to do quite a bit of research.
If not Darwinism will prevail.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
venomhiss
you know, i could take this all the wrong way and think you all have a chip on your shoulder towards me, but i know your just trying to prevent me from being another reason people try to outlaw ownership of such animals with a stupid manuver.

however, your telling me i need to do research, when im coming here to ask questions as ive tried to do research and have come up with nothing so i came here to ask. noticed how i asked if there were classes i could take? i didnt just ask how to get the permit and want a snake, i asked how to go about doing this if i decide i want too. i hear its not cheap and as youve all confirmed does require classes or appretince.

in this day and age of the goverment wanting to come and possibly tell me i cant keep my retics and burms, i wouldnt even joke about the prospect of me being a "darwinism award" winner. not that i take offense im just sayin, careful what you wish for

Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomhiss View Post
you know, i could take this all the wrong way and think you all have a chip on your shoulder towards me, but i know your just trying to prevent me from being another reason people try to outlaw ownership of such animals with a stupid manuver.

however, your telling me i need to do research, when im coming here to ask questions as ive tried to do research and have come up with nothing so i came here to ask. noticed how i asked if there were classes i could take? i didnt just ask how to get the permit and want a snake, i asked how to go about doing this if i decide i want too. i hear its not cheap and as youve all confirmed does require classes or appretince.

in this day and age of the goverment wanting to come and possibly tell me i cant keep my retics and burms, i wouldnt even joke about the prospect of me being a "darwinism award" winner. not that i take offense im just sayin, careful what you wish for
It's not about wishing for anything, least of all someone getting hurt even if the person in question should be required by law to wear a helmet at all times or if he is just an overenthusiastic underachiever. Either way, in this day and age when said person cannot find simple information on the internet said person should not own venomous snakes, play with matches or (please for the rest of society) reproduce.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
reticguy76
those responses seemed pretty harsh. ill tell ya, my first 3 snakes ever in my life were 3 17 foot or bigger retics, my next was a timber rattlesnake. all of them were going to be given up (or possibly just released knowing my old "friends"), so i offered to take them. it was the best experience i could have asked for. that was quite a long time ago. lookin back, it wasnt the smartest thing for a young kid to do, but i did it. i see absolutely nothing wrong with obtaining any snake that is legally able to be kept. however, i cant stress enough to do as much research as you can (its just like anything else, you can read about it until you are blue in the face, but experience is where you learn the best and quickest), and buy cbb babies from reputable breeders/people. whether its a hot or a large constrictor species, getting cbb babies will generally produce easier handling babies, generally disease free, and you get to grow with your snake as it does. learn the very subtle ways of them. just do your research as best you can, be prepared with whatever you decide, provide it with ideal and optimal housing and feeding conditions, and most of all, use your God given natural common sense.
good luck with whatever you decide to do or get

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!