Black Throat Monitor questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Dana C
Question Black Throat Monitor questions

I currently have three Tegus but want to expand my collection to include a Black Throat.
I just spent the last two hours trying to find out some specific information. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of specific information out there without specifically writing to the authors of papers written about the species.
My questions include'
What is the size difference between males and females?
How long do they grow? (age)
Sexual dimorphism if any?
General ability to become tame?

There is a lot of information about range, diet in captivity, enclosure size, (6' to having their own room) and ultimate size potential. What is missing is average size in captivity, growth rate and all the above.
Can anyone out there help with this. Any information you can share will be very helpful and much appreciated.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
xThankless
Ask and you shall recieve.

http://www.proexotics.com/care_ionides.html

If that doesnt cover it all I will answer your other questions.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Dana C
Thank You

Thanks Zach for replying. I read the Pro Exotics sheet and found a couple of other good ones which lean strongly to the biology as well as husbandry of Ionides

Here is something which wasn't covered. I traded a Tegu for what the seller thought was a female BT. I noticed that when he/she was first put into her set up, that I thought I saw a hemi penis as it marked its new home. I saw it again when I gave him or her it's first bath. It marked the bathroom, and me.
I think I read somewhere that females have hemiclitoral apendidges. Do they or do I have a male. It is ok either way.

Also, he wasn't sold to me as "tame". According to the seller he is about a year or a year and half old and is currently about 32". However, I noticed that he really responded to my voice talking to him softly. After getting tail whipped a couple of times, he as never tried it again except for a couple half hearted muted whips. He comes to my hand and puts his head into or under my hand to be stroked. He closes his eyes and seems to really enjoy it.
In the bathroom, (I got him on Tuesday by the way), he didn't fight being picked up at all and seemed to enjoy his bath. After the bath he explored and climbed on me and marked me as well. He explored some more and climbed onto my leg, (I sit on the floor), up my shirt onto my shoulder pancaked and promptly fell asleep. I can hardly believe how much he trusts me and seems to want my company. Is this normal? Don't get me wrong, I am totally smitten by him or her and blown away by the temperament.

Is it a male based upon what I told you?

Thanks Again,
Dana

Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
hadenglock
Quote:
Originally Posted by xThankless View Post
Ask and you shall recieve.

http://www.proexotics.com/care_ionides.html

If that doesnt cover it all I will answer your other questions.
seriously Proexotics is going to give the best info on monitors if you havent found that out already, haha

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Edwardo
Hi,

Males will get bigger, and just have a more massive overall look to them.
Larger head, forearms, tailbase etc, etc.

Tame is just a loose term, more so for the seller to make a sale.

Sounds like not keeping him hot enough, they need a 130deg to 150deg basking spot in there encloser, which covers snout to tailbase lenth.

Get him good and hot, like he should be, and see If he acts the same towards you. Bob

Old 04-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Dana C
I have his basking area right at 140f now and the cool end around 80f. He still is a pretty nice guy.
I have noticed when he is allowed to roam in his room, that he is much more feisty. Yesterday in fact he was really whippy and generally had an attitude. He went on a crusade to mark his territory and didn't leave much ground, (rug), unmarked. He still "check in" with me a couple of times, crawled over my legs and ran his face along the side of me hand and tasted me a lot. He was fine after that.
I think and please correct me if I am wrong, that when he is first out in a large room the openness perhaps stresses him out somewhat after coming out of his enclosure. In a smaller room, like the bathroom, he is fine.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Edwardo
140deg down to 80deg, is a good, usuable, daytime temperature gradiant.
Mine thermoregulates all day long, its what they do.

Whippy and having an attitude is a good thing, it shows there more so on the healthy side.

Maybe it stresses him a tiny bit when you let him out, he might also sense a little bit of freedom, and is just being cautious, leery and on edge, about different surroundings.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Chris Wilkinson
My two cents

My questions include'
What is the size difference between males and females?
males tend to be larger in all around body. The tend to be more open where females are more shy

How long do they grow? (age)
I have a 1 year old: let run down a few facts
July 2011, 3.5 months old @18" long, 30 gal tank, $3.75 a day to feed starting
Aug 2011, 24.5" long, 55 gal Tank, $4.35 a day to feed
Nov 2011, 28.75" long, 75 gal WIDE tank, $4.75 a day to feed
Jan 2012, 32.50" long, 75 gal WIDE tank (TOO SMALL), $ 5.25 a day to feed
Mar 2012, 38.75" long, same tank, $5.25 a day to feed.

He's growth rate will be the same, he should start to slow down by 2.5 years
He will be moved to a 12'longx4'widex4'tall, $1,200.00 to build. I need to build two

Food bill ran me $1,556.00 +/- 1st year
My vet bills totaled $575.00 for 2011
Daily care 1.45 hours a day for various maintenance
My electric bill and gas went up by $25.25monthly

Sexual dimorphism if any? not my area

General ability to become tame?

Interesting statement. They are generally very tolerant to the one whom feeds them. Mine will come to me and taste me and will even rub his head on my hand I can pick him up and he will not stress over it. I had him take pinkies right out of my hand a number of times and within a min turn and bite me or tail whip me. I have moved away from the force handling it was not working with mine so I took James W advice here on this forum. My goal now is to work towards a mutual friendship where he trust I will not hurt him and he will not hurt me. That being said all Monitors have instinctive triggers and that's what you need to indentify or find out and you will.

Good luck in your adventure. The info you need is here the application is on you.

1. V. Albigularus Ionidesi (Black Throat) "Sebastian" Farmed Rased in Africa
1. V. Salvator Macomaculatus (Southeast Asian Water Monitor) NEW BABY 2012 "Neo" Farmed Rased in Sumatra
1. Sulcate Tortuous (125lbs) "BIG DADDY" Recue

Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Dana C
Kinabo started a shed a couple of weeks ago and became a terror. He hissed, whipped and generally was in a really crappy mood. I have been bathing him daily which is helping a lot.
Yesterday after his bath and a late lunch, he did his usual explore the bathroom while I talked to him. He would cock his head to the right or left so I absolutely know he was listening to me. I sit on the floor with him with my back to the tub. He eventually walked up my legs onto my chest nuzzled my beard a little like he likes to do, layed down on my chest and snoozed.
What is funny, as in I don't understand it, is that something that I do one minute that earns me a tail whip, is perfectly fine 2 minutes later. A chin scratch a lower back rub etc. have all gotten me whipped one time or another. Five minutes after the whip, the same chin stroke, lower back rub etc. earns me a closed eye, perfectly relaxed, "I love it" kind of reaction.

It is fascinating observing captive behavior of these wonderful lizards and how they bond to a human.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!