need some questions answered about mud/musk turtles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
sdrobert
Question need some questions answered about mud/musk turtles

Good evening folks. I just received a 40 gallon breader tank am setting it up for some future turtles but have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. I know this is long but want to make the right purchase the first time!

I am considering:
mud : mississippi, three striped, eastern, yellow
Musk: stinkpot/common

I am looking to get three hatchings or yearlings. I want something the children can watch grow over the years coming to my room. In my research I have concerns:

1. Is it safe to keep a couple to three of these guys in the same tank?
2. Is there more issues with males since the gender can't be determined for this young of turtles. should I worry about this?
3. How much more delicate are hatchlings compared to yearlings? i don't mean physically (i.e. handling), more in caring for - risk of drowning, etc
4. would you recommend one type and age over the others?
5. Is there anything else I need to consider?
6. i have found a list of places to purchase but have no idea over the reputation. The Trader Rating here doesn't really cover or give much detail on these places. Is there a way to determine who I should avoid?

my background:
I have kept sub-adult RES WC and chameleons., so I have worked with critters in the past but never mud/musk. I had a bad experience purchasing a chameleon at a trade show and am trying to avoid that for the turtle, the children, and myself.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
catherine carney
Just found this thread--sorry I missed it earlier!

I am a turtle newb (only a couple of years in the hobby), but I do have a common stinkpot. I bought her(?) as an adult, and she is currently sharing a 20 long with two yearling mississippi maps. They will be moving to a 40 breeder here at the end of the week. Ultimately the maps will need a larger tank in a couple of years, and then my stinkpot will have the 40 to herself.

I bought the maps from The Turtle Source (located in Florida, all captive bred animals as far as I can tell) and have been extremely happy with their service and customer support. They are running a 10% off sale right now and have a number of stinkpots for sale, ranging from started hatchlings to yearlings and adults. I'd recommend starting with a yearling or older just to make life easier on yourself.

If you are still looking for turtles, you also might want to consider giving them a call and ask you questions--I do know that they say that mud turtle hatchlings can be challenging because they are so small and thus are relatively delicate. Austin's Turtle Page has a great set of care sheets and FAQs that I've found extremely useful as well, so it might be worthwhile to check it out.

Hope this helps!

Catherine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
mud, musk, turtle