Links to other websites in discussion forums - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
lilgreenbee
Question Links to other websites in discussion forums

I'm wondering if it's ok to post links to other websites/forums/facebook/news in the discussion forums, NOT the BOI? I would not be saying "Joe Blow is a thief" but rather "according to Joe Blow's website, this trait is genetic" or something along those lines.

Also, do images have to be by attachment in the discussion forums like they do in the BOI, or can they be linked from another website? If they must be by attachment, am I allowed to use images that aren't mine if I acknowledge copyright of photographer?

I did search through the feedback forum and I couldn't find what I was looking for, and I'm afraid I'm not that savvy to begin with. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenbee View Post
I'm wondering if it's ok to post links to other websites/forums/facebook/news in the discussion forums, NOT the BOI? I would not be saying "Joe Blow is a thief" but rather "according to Joe Blow's website, this trait is genetic" or something along those lines.

Also, do images have to be by attachment in the discussion forums like they do in the BOI, or can they be linked from another website? If they must be by attachment, am I allowed to use images that aren't mine if I acknowledge copyright of photographer?

I did search through the feedback forum and I couldn't find what I was looking for, and I'm afraid I'm not that savvy to begin with. Thanks.
Links to other sites are OK. But not of the nature "Hey, come and visit my page!"

Of course, sites do go away or change their structure making the links inoperative, so sometimes having an actual conversation or text where you want it viewed will be the only way to insure that it will remain where you want it to be. If the text in the referring link is central to your discussion, bear in mind that if the link fails, so does your entire thread, because it no longer will make any sense to anyone reading it.

Attachments are preferred simply because photo hosting sites will often go under or terminate the capability of the images hosted there from being viewed on other sites. Sometimes the users themselves will abandon the account or delete the images. I frequent other sites in unrelated topics and it is pretty frustrating to be trying to read something of interest that references what used to be embedded images, but are no longer visible. So in effect, those threads are now useless because the text references images that are gone.

Copyright laws allow a loophole for the use of other's images and/or text when for review or discussion. I believe the term is "fair use", but be warned it can be a complex legal swamp to wade into trying to figure it out. Generally speaking, if someone takes exception to their photograph or text being used elsewhere, it might be removed upon request.

IMHO.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
lilgreenbee
Thanks for explaining all that to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!