Andy - Exotic Reptile Jungles (INQUIRY) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
spawn
Andy - Exotic Reptile Jungles (INQUIRY)

I was wondering about anyone's experiences with Andy (British/Scottish sounding guy on the phone) at Exotic Reptile Jungles from exoticsrus.net. I know there was one other thread regarding the company itself, but it seemed old and dated, and I'm in the midst of communicating with a new fellow by the above name. I'm looking into buying frogs, so any help is appreciated.

Frank Soos

Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
shelldweller
Spawn,

I bought a pair of pipa pipas and a pair of malayan horn frogs. They arrived healthy. I'm looking into doing more business with them.

John

Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
lepidus
My experience with Ray Hunter from ERJ

I will attempt to give only the facts with as little assumption / speculation on my part as possible. I recently made an order with "cobraman" from ERJ and this was my order:
0.1 Sumatran spitter
1.1 snouted cobras
0.1 Forest cobra
1.0 EDB (animal control capture)

I received the animals as we planned and when unpacked, the animals were alive although the EDB and the snouted cobras were a little sluggish which I attributed to the shipping. The snakes were a little thin which doesn't surprise me as they are WC animals and I expected such. No big deal. The next day the EDB was dead. I called Ray Hunter and he was very apologetic and assured me that he would make things right with the next shipment if I were to make another order. Again, no big deal. I was ready to accept that also as he told me prior to ordering that it was an animal rescue. I let the snakes acclimate and let them alone for a few days before I attempted to feed / change substrate, etc. I was particularly pleased with the Sumatran as he was brighter yellow than what the pics portrayed. On about the 3rd or maybe the 4th day, I was transferring the Sumatran while cage cleaning and as I was tailing the animal, I looked at the vent and thought that it looked like it was male. Just to verify that I wasn't mistaken I probed the animal and it indeed probed male going back easily 7-9 scales. I called Ray and he said that although possible, it was unlikely that he made this mistake. Again he was apologetic and said that he would do whatever was needed to make things right. I probably should have checked all the animals at this point but did not because I thought that surely he couldn't have made the same mistake on my other animals. The next day I got around to cleaning the snouteds and while tailing them, again they both looked to be male. Just to be sure I again probed both animals and they both probed male. I called Ray again and at this point he was in disbelief and said to just send the whole shipment back. I told him that I was not a verified shipper and he said that he would check around to see if I could ship on their account. We corresponded both by phone and email to attempt to make these arrangements but could never find a way to ship them back. Bottom line is that I didn't get what I paid for. He said that with over 19 years of experience, he didn't see how he could make that mistake, especially on multiple animals. I am in total agreement with him on this as cobras are fairly easy to sex even with just visual assessment. So what can I conclude from this? Were the snakes checked at all for the proper sex because I seriously doubt that he would make such a simple mistake, especially with his experience. At this point the correspondence was not nearly as pleasant and he even suggested, not accused, that I may be trying to scam him. How am I trying to scam him when all I wanted to do was return the animals and receive a refund? I sent pictures of the tails of the animals in question and he agreed that they were obviously males but doubted that they were the animals that he sent in the first place. I have no way to prove that these were the animals he sent other than to send the animals back, which I have no way of doing since I am not a verified shipper. Bottom line is that I am stuck with an improper order and no way to return them. I have no complaints about the animals themselves, the animals are fine, especially taklng into account that they are WC. My only problem is that they are the wrong sex. I dropped the issue since I realistically can't prove to him that these are in fact the snakes he sent me without him seeing them firsthand. I will just take it as an expensive lesson learned. I hate to think that he would purposely send me the wrong sexed animal but that is what I have received. Again, the Sumatran is a beautiful animal, just the wrong sex. The snouted as well are nice animals, just the wrong sex. I cannot even begin to speculate on how this mistake could be made by such an experienced individual.

Monte Maderazo

Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
hhmoore
Monte - did Ray not offer you a shipping option that did not require you being a verified shipper?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
lepidus
No. There is no other legal way of getting the animals back to them that I am aware of.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
hhmoore
I asked because, after reading of this situation in a related thread, I PM'd Ray with another option. Perhaps he investigated & things have changed (I haven't communicated with that organization in the past year, since they verified they would ship venomous, and that they did not require shippers to be verified).

Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
lepidus
If you know of another legal way to ship please let me know. Otherwise, as I stated previously, I will take it as an expensive lesson learned. Thanks for your interest.

Monte

Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
yasin
You can ship Venomous Snakes with NW airlines without being verified. But call them and talk as they have their own requirements. It is actually cheaper than Delta.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
NBmononoke
Back to the original question

We have purchased many animals on many different occasions from ERJ. Andy has always been a good and decent man to work with and I have no complaints what so ever about his business ethics or the animals he sells.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
ssshane
I have done business with Andy, and would not hesitate to do it again. I had a problem getting it to eat at first, and Andy stayed in touch with during the entire process. The snake is now eating fine, and as healthy as ever.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!