Leo Addiction is out of hand - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #11
techgirl
wendy i salute you for what you are doing. too often people realize what they have missed when it's too late. the time we spend with our children is important and fleeting. i always say that i may consider breeding my leos later because i want to spend the time with my daughter. it's one of the reasons why i still work graveyard. i get to spend days with her and only need to work 4 days instead of 6. i know it's hard to cut back but in the end it's all worth it. kids are everything when they're yours.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #12
WebSlave
Wendy, believe me when I tell you I know exactly what you are talking about.

I don't have children, but I see my own business burning out the lives of both myself and my wife. We decided a few years ago to really cut back on the leopard geckos and don't really make any effort at all to breed them any longer. Most are old and my wife is content with having them around for pets, but even then it is still a chore that needs tending to. I think if she could find good homes to them, she would certainly let them go. But heck, many of them are like part of the family now, and I know it would really be tough for her to let go of them.

But the leopard geckos are but a drop in the bucket compared to the corn snakes we work with. I am expecting between 6,000 to 8,000 babies this year, and THAT is no joke. But I think this year will be the end of doing that kind of volume, by a WIDE margin. The workload and stress during hatching season is immense. Whenever I read in the papers about someone dying from a heart attack, I can't help by wonder how in the world I have dodged that bullet for so long. And I know darn right well that my wife is under the same amount of stress too.

So after doing this sort of thing for going on 30 years and coming up on my 56th birthday this summer, I too am getting that wakeup call that life can't be lived if you don't have the time to live it. And I may not have all that much time left to do so. I see people all around me my age who lose their health, and then lose all hope of doing the things they hoped they could do some day in the future, when things "got better". There are so many things my wife has given up from her own life to help me pursue my dreams, and I can't stand to watch that any longer...... There have been so many days we wanted to do something or go somewhere, but the workload couldn't wait or be put off. And our thinking we will have more time tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year, just doesn't happen.

I guess I have known this for a long time, but reading your post certainly did drive that point home to me. Life will just pass you by if you let work eat it away.

So as I said, I know exactly what you are going through, and you are not alone.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
The NY Gecko
im srry to hear that yout cutting back wendy. i do hope that you continue to be on the forums on a regular basis though. youve given me alot of advice as well as helped me with my photo problem. kids and family must come first and im glad that you youve chosen the way you have.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
groovygeckos
LOL Wow Rich! I had maybe 80 babies last year, and can hardly imagine how some care for 800, much less 8000 animals.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #15
Jeremy Letkey
Wendy, I hope that you can find a happy medium and still enjoy the animals. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
Golden Gate Geckos
Wendy, bless your heart. I know that I could never keep those numbers of geckos and their offspring if I had small kids at home. Even for myself, caring for 250+ geckos (single-handedly) is overwhelming and cuts into the time with my husband when he comes home from work. It is very easy at times to get in over our heads when we are as passionate about our love for these beautiful, gentle creatures.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
g&mgeckos
Wendy I am sorry you have came to this decision. But your family must come first. It is something I know you won't regret later. They grow so fast. And has they get older you can let your addiction grow a little more. Good Luck and let us know if you need help with anything.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
dragonflame
That's a lot of animals! I only have 7 and I'm going to cut back! It's really responsible of you to come to that conclusion. It's good to have your priorities in the right order, it really makes everything better. I'm sure you will find good homes for all your geckos, good luck!

Old 02-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
dragonflyreptiles
Thanks everyone for the support this is beginning to be a emotional up and down for me.

We have figured out what she is unhappy about. We had all of the leos up stairs, bed rooms, living room just all over because of flood damage to the room I used in the basement. Well it has taken Rodney 3 years to get it back to usable and everything is moved back downstairs.

Rodney was off yesterday so I asked her if she wanted to go with me or stay with daddy and she had a fit that I not go down either. Weird thing is she loves to go when we wash clothes.

My thought then was if that was her issue they could be moved back up but Ive spent a lot of time building real racks and getting them set up better.

Rodney is loud about the fact that they wer down there, its now fixed againa nd he does not want them all over the house again.

Its just been a hard few days and I feel that I have worked so hard and I finally this year was able to get some stock that I could only look at before. I have great plans for this season.

But then the issue of the breeding season and Codys summer break, do I really want to take that much time from him to hunt for eggs everyday.

Im just a little down and heartbroken and cannot even decide on the 1st one that I should put on the let go list.

But it will all work out in the end Im sure.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #20
Lucille
((((Wendy))))))

Whatever you decide will be right for you. Many here could offer experiences of their own and give valued insight and assistance to you by saying how they travelled this road; yet the final response is just to tell you that you have friends here, friends who trust that your plans will be for the best whatever you decide.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!