Snake is more interested in my hand when feeding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
buddy.reilly
Snake is more interested in my hand when feeding?

I've began to feed my milksnake with tongs to make it seem as if the mouse is alive. However now my snake completely slithers past the mouse and looks much more interested in striking my hand. I know it sounds silly but I was wearing a goalkeeper glove at the time because I was scared he might miss the mouse and bite me. Would the smell of the goalkeeper glove appeal to him more than the mouse???

Old 04-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Helenthereef
It might be that your hand is moving more than the mouse, thereby attracting his interest. I have a snake who does this, but reacts to the food if I drop it suddenly so that it moves more quickly than my hand, so my feeding method for him is to waggle the food in front of his nose and then drop it and go away. He seems to find it pretty well then.

What is a goalkeeper's glove made of? Is it absorbent? Are you handling the mouse with it before you offer it?

Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
buddy.reilly
Um it is made from latex and is absorbant but I didn't handle the mouse in the glove before I began to feed so I don't feel like the glove smelt of the mouse. It is most probably what you said about my hand moving more than the mouse was. I did drop the mouse but only because my snake was slithering towards my hand looking like it wanted to bite haha. However he did eat the mouse once dropped. Thanks I'll give this a go

Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Just one note of caution about what type of floor you are feeding him on - if it's a bare plastic tub or paper, fine, but if he's in woodshavings, or something else small and loose, bits might stick to a dropped mouse and eventually cause him some digestive problems.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
buddy.reilly
I'll make sure I'll do that. Thanks for your help

Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
maddyem
If you don't want to use the glove, I find that a pair of feeding tongs are super helpful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!