Heosemys Spinosa (spiny turtle) care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Duramaxdually
Heosemys Spinosa (spiny turtle) care

i have a small group of spinosa and am wondering about their feeding habits, how often they eat, as well as what you have luck with them eating?
I have them on mainly fruit diet bc they dont have any interest in much else.
Currently feeding on mango, watermelons, papaya, bannanas, strawberries and the occasnioal pinkies and worms. I was wondering if there was any important part of diet i am leaving out. I have had no luck with any kind of greens.

Interested in hearing from you guys about your expienrences with these guys and any other advice.

I keep the 2 adults i have outside in south louisiana in a very shady area under an oak tree in 10x10 pens seperated. They each have their own small stream/waterfall.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
jburns9
Hey! I work with a group of about 5 spinosa. We have ours on a similar diet and add pieces of mazuri and tomatoes plus supplements. My group usually get active at dusk or after a good misting and then come out to feed.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Duramaxdually
Thanks does your group stay inside year round? Or are they outside part of the year?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
jburns9
They are inside year round. We have a greenhouse we use to keep a variety of species and about 30 individuals. We keep it relatively humid in there and 70ish degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
Duramaxdually
Thanks. I have started building my last pen outsise for them. They each have their stream leading to a small pond with a pump to keep water clean. Hoping to see morr of theae guys become available in the future to add to the group. What kind of plants do u keep in their enclosures?

Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
jburns9
We have several small plants just from Lowe's or Home Depot that our supervisor planted so I'm not sure exactly what they are. We also recently added a banana tree we are hoping to grow tall and shade much of their spot. We have lots of dead leaves for them to crawl around in too and they love that!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!