Something to ponder..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you use this hypothetical stuff?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 37 66.07%
Not sure or maybe, explain below. 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
DragonCharm
Something to ponder.....

Now, I am not going to say which way I fall on this issue until other people have comment, don't want to bias anyone.....it just happened to come to mind when reading over the venomoid related flamefest in the BOI. What if you could make your hot snake 100% no doubt safe with a painless needle full of a new med? Now this hypothetical drug cause no pain, has no side effects, no damage, and makes it 100% impossible to regenerate venom glands. Would you use it on your hots?

PS- Again, just an interesting thought to kick around.....not saying I would encourage it if it was possible.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Junkyard
Maybe you should turn that into a poll, just yes or no without arguing.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Maybe you should turn that into a poll, just yes or no without arguing.
I'm hoping this can be a reasonable discussion, we're all adults right?

Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
Junkyard
After reading that Venomoid thread on the BOI, I would highly doubt it.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
hhmoore
I vote a resounding NO. There are a number of reasons for my vote, but I think I will not justify my response at this point in time. Let it speak for itself.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
After reading that Venomoid thread on the BOI, I would highly doubt it.
Anyone starts flaming I am going to start hitting the report post button, hopefully that will cause most to reconsider saying something really harsh. I think most of us are without a mental disease that causes us to get crazy.....therefore should be able to post like reasonable people.

Come on folks, lets hear your thoughts.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
RhinoGab
My View

Absolutely not! Mother Nature gave these magnificent creatures their venom and delivery apparatus for a reason and I think it is a crying shame to change them (although your hypothetical drug would certainly be an improvement over venomoid surgery!).

Without getting into a huge discussion, I would say that those wishing to possess venomous reptiles be throughly trained with lots of experience and those not willing to devote the time should stick with non-venomous species. My 2 cents worth.

Clif

Old 08-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoGab
Absolutely not! Mother Nature gave these magnificent creatures their venom and delivery apparatus for a reason and I think it is a crying shame to change them (although your hypothetical drug would certainly be an improvement over venomoid surgery!).

Without getting into a huge discussion, I would say that those wishing to possess venomous reptiles be throughly trained with lots of experience and those not willing to devote the time should stick with non-venomous species. My 2 cents worth.

Clif
Great answer, this is the type of dialog I am looking for in this thread.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #9
psilocybe
NO! Though I agree that this would definitely be a major step up from the current method of "devenomizing" snakes, I still wouldn't do it or condone it. Some like it hot! okay enough fun with the smilies

Old 08-12-2005, 02:01 AM   #10
mikeydadog
I myself truly believe these animals were designed this way for a reason and it's above me to decide to change it, as easy as it would become hypothetically! just for the sake of someone wanting to handle it! After all the venom in these animals is what causes us to have to show the respect to them they deserve, is it not? Thanks for opening up this can of worms!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!