help with crested gecko eggs! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
stephaminopolis
Exclamation help with crested gecko eggs!

ok so heres my story. I got my cresteds maybe 4 months ago and started breeding them. I messed up once and didnt find the eggs until it was too late, and my other female kept laying infertile ones. She finally layed some fertile eggs and theyve been growing for over a month and look healthy. the issue is, i had to take the other female out of her tank last night so i could take her to the vet today because she didnt look so good, and the only tank I could put her in was the tank that I currently have the eggs in since my hatchrite purchase was lost in the mail and now im waiting for another one, so yes I have a full tank dedicated to two eggs...well i put her in there last night and she dug up the eggs during the night and flipped them. I did not mark them because stupid me figured it would be ok and last time I marked the egg, it collapsed where I had marked it. so my question is...how do fertile growing eggs look on top? or you know, the way they were layed. the eggs had a pocket on one side, and a group of veins and a little black spot on the other. i put the side up that had the black bump and veins...i know this post is a little jumbled but im trying to type it out as fast as I can and get it out here so i can get this all figured out.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Ed Clark
Stephanie,Hello. there is no way to look at an egg and tell the sides from the top. a small mark on them when you take them out of the laying box is important and can be very helpful.

Rotating an incubating crested gecko egg while incubating is almost always fatal.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
stephaminopolis
well....crap.

i hate messing things up. thank you for replying.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaminopolis
well....crap.

i hate messing things up. thank you for replying.
Don't worry, it happens to us all.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
droogievesch
What are you using as an incubation medium? In the future take whatever medium you are using and put it in a small container (sour cream, cool whip, tupperware, Glad, etc.). Also, lightly marking your eggs will not cause them to cave in (infertile ones will, but they're bad with or without the mark). It is vital you mark them right away.

I apologize if I came off as rude (I haven't slept for two nights and I cannot think of how to politely convey this information). We have all been there, so consider this a learning experience. I hope both females are doing well and you get more eggs soon.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Be sure to pick up another, smaller cage for vet transport in the future It can save you alot of hassle from mixing things up if you dont have the space.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Double LY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Be sure to pick up another, smaller cage for vet transport in the future It can save you alot of hassle from mixing things up if you dont have the space.
A "critter keeper" is the perfect size for transporting

Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Jazeira
Really don't understand why the eggs were in a tank in the first place...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!