Help! Gravid burmese! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
dragonfire
Help! Gravid burmese!

I primarely do reptile rescue. I've bought and sold some snakes over the years, but never bred them. Now I've taken in a 12' female burmese and she appears gravid to me. She came with a male, and they had been cooled and put together for about a month, they've been seperated for 3-5 weeks and she's much thicker in the lower region than he is.
Can someone please help me with what to do? In what to do, I'm asking for advice on substrate, whether or not I should buy an incubator or just let her do it herslef, etc.

I currently have her on newspaper, in an 80-85 degree enclosure.

I was just bombarded with the "don't let the eggs hatch" spiel on another board because of the high rate of mistreatment and abandonment of burms, and yes I've already considered all this, and still plan to hatch them, I will not freeze them, nor will I make omletes from them, they are living beings and deserve a chance, all I can do is attempt to locate them the best homes possible.

If anyone has any constructive advice, please reply.

Thanks!
Allison

Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
2003redneck
Burms Wanted

I love snakes and I curently have a burm. I want very badly to mate my burm. I know there are tons of people out there who feel as avidly about snakes as me if not more. I feel you should let the eggs hatch and then give them away to individuals who want a pet and understand that they have the potential to get aprox. 15-18 ft. if conditions are right. and there are many like myself who would lave an aditional pet and snakes espetialy berm are expensive. they sell for about 99.00 for babbies in the local pet store here.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Seamus Haley
My first instinct was to start asking piercing questions in a sarcastic tone... Inquiring about why you chose to take in an animal who's specific care and condition you are unfamiliar with... And this IS a valid concern still, but you seem determined to learn, so...

http://www.pythons.net/indonesia/burmese/

The above link is off a website which, while not *the* greatest, tends to be a pretty easy read and very close to accurate most of the time... Everything in the breeding section of the above link appears to be in order, although the part about taming snakes down through handling is a bit questionable.

Essentially what I did here was check sources in hard print at my home, as I have never bred burms myself (Only rarely kept 'em in fact... you can keep 40,000 Candoia sp. in the same space as one burm) and then located a web source that closely matched what I had here in a couple books... Basic suggestions being... Warm up the tank and buy three or four Hovabators (Or make something larger yourself), Burms drop large clutches of LARGE eggs.

And as much as I love Fauna, here's a link to Clark's forums- http://www.bobclark.com/bcforums/ There tends to be a higher accumulation of big boid breeders over there who might answer your questions much more specifically and from personal experience.

Out of curiosity... The forums where you were attacked for implying that you would hatch out the neonates, would they happen to be located on Kingsnake? I'm just curious as to how far the Kraplanites have spread over there...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!