Escaped snake kills two children in New Brunswick - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #61
Shadera
Here's a fun new story.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/16/world/...ons/index.html

They don't give details, but if keeping in tubs = not being suitably cared for and in distress, most of us are screwed.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #62
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post

So far this is what they seem yo be saying. Apparently Jean-Claude killed the children with
CO, broke a hole in his ceiling and ducts the
claimed the snake he illegally owns escaped the
cage and killed the children.
This statement is the sum of an argument that I had on fb. They swore up and down that the whole family almost died from CO then when I debunked that they posted that blog claiming it was a murder investigation.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #63
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Here's a fun new story.

They don't give details, but if keeping in tubs = not being suitably cared for and in distress, most of us are screwed.
Thanks so much for the link as I have been wanting to read up on this.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #64
Belfry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Here's a fun new story.

Some of the articles gave more details, stating "The snakes were in distress because of the cramped conditions and lack of water," with the 40 ball pythons being held in just 5 tubs.

There's quite a few news sites covering this. All of the articles I've seen have something in common; They correlate it to this African rock python tragedy, with most failing to mention that the confiscated snakes are ball pythons. That, and the commenters' ignorance... But a good number of the articles have done nothing short of fostering that with sensationalism.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #65
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
A guy I now on another forum will be on fox news this Saturday.

http://www.jerrythesnakeman.com/
figured I'd share the update on this that Jerry posted over on the Amazon Alliance where he's an active member:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiankeeper
Our interview was cancelled due to a higher rated story. Here is the email that was sent 3 hours before we were to meet with the car being sent for us.

Re: Geraldo at Large Interview Info

Hide Details

From

Boothby, Jacqueline

To (I edited out the email -AApril)

Good Morning Jerry,
I'm so sorry, but I'm going to have to cancel our interview today. There's a lot of breaking news which we have to cover instead.

I'm so sorry, but I hope we can reschedule for another time.al
Best,
Jacqueline

I would like to thank Geraldo at Large people for wasting my time and money to do them a favor. And on a second note, it is not professional to send an email 3 hours before you are suppose to be picked up to cancell. A phone call should nave been made as to make sure we knew that the show was cancelled and were not waiting like idiots for the car to arrive. Then I had to make calls to find out what was going on, to hear they sent an email. Sorry, but I don't check my emails every hour all day long.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #66
bcr229
An Arrest Made in the Case

Jean-Claude Savoie arrested in python deaths of Barthe brothers in Campbellton
By Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon, CBC News Posted: Feb 05, 2015

The owner of Reptile Ocean pet store has been arrested in Quebec in connection with the python strangling of two brothers in Campbellton, N.B., in 2013.

The arrest, made Thursday by New Brunswick RCMP, was confirmed by Cpl. Chantal Farrah. No charges have been laid, she said, adding the investigation is continuing.

Typically, the longest someone can be held in custody before being charged or released is 24 hours.

RCMP have not released the name of the individual arrested.

Lawyer Leslie Matchim confirmed the man arrested in the Montreal area is his client, Jean-Claude Savoie, the owner of the pet store.

"I've been authorized to confirm that it was in fact Jean-Claude Savoie who was arrested today," said Matchim, after his client called him.

"Quite honestly, I can't say [the arrest] came as a surprise. Certainly for me, the surprise came when the RCMP, quite some time ago, seemed to be recoiling from their official position with me that no charges would be forthcoming.

"After they sort of recanted that position and announced that in fact the investigation was ongoing, then … I can't say that I’m surprised that we're at the point we're at today."

Savoie is being held in police custody, said Matchim. "All things considered, he seems to be doing all right," he said.

Connor Barthe, 6, and his brother Noah, 4, were killed on Aug. 5, 2013, by an African rock python that escaped from its cage in the pet store located in the same building where the boys were sleeping.

Reptile Ocean was an unlicensed zoo and pet store, New Brunswick Department of Natural Resources officials have said.

Savoie was the subject of a criminal investigation, and the RCMP turned the file over to Crown prosecutors in July.

At that time, Savoie's lawyer said he had been told by police "quite formally and officially" that his client would not be charged criminally.

But New Brunswick RCMP said the investigation has been ongoing since the Barthe boys died.

"Now, the investigation has furthered and has brought us to the point where an arrest was made today, so this person is now in police custody, but the investigation is ongoing," Farrah said.

"If at some point charges are laid, then more information will be available to you," she added.

Savoie's lawyer said it's too early to speculate whether his client will be charged, or what those charges might be.

But the RCMP would not be involved in any investigation pertaining to the legality of the zoo, said Matchim. That would fall under provincial jurisdiction, he said.

"The Department of Natural Resources did oversee an investigation in that respect, and they have decided not to proceed with charges," said Matchim, adding there would be a six-month limitation period on any such charges.

"So I don’t think there's any doubt as to what is being investigated today," he said.

If Savoie is charged in the deaths of the boys, he would be required to return to New Brunswick to face those charges, said Matchim.

A report from a task force, struck by the New Brunswick Department of Natural Resources to review the province’s exotic animal laws and regulations and recommend changes to prevent future tragedies, is expected in March.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #67
JColt
My apologies if this has been posted but a search doesnt show anything other than this thread.

Jean-Claude Savoie found not guilty in python deaths of 2 boys

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ions-1.3842113

Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #68
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
My apologies if this has been posted but a search doesnt show anything other than this thread.

Jean-Claude Savoie found not guilty in python deaths of 2 boys

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ions-1.3842113
Thanks for the update Joe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!