Very, very bad news... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
screamdreams
Very, very bad news...

Well, here we go...another Ohio incident. Sadly, this guy died from this bite. Of course now, "they" want to ban everything...the time is near folks, trust me. First I'd like to say we should keep the family & friends of this gentlemen in all of our prayers. Second, I've never heard of a "poisonous snake" let alone one that "attacked". I hate to bring anyone down here but this is starting to get really bad, before we know it, the hobby will perish because people just can't let things go...it is my right as an american tax payer to keep these animals. I don't need somebody telling me "it's dangerous, and a very bad idea" and I'm not talking about hot stuff, I'm talking about Colubrids, BP's, Geckos...you know how they are, they'll ban 'em all!!

Dangerous:
Drinking
Smoking
Second-hand Smoke
Drinking and Driving
Dogs
Cats
Horses
Sharks
Lightning
Pools
Trampolines
Going to School
School Buses (no seat belts)
Air Bags
Guns
Razors
Drugs
Strangers
Steps
Stairs
Various Occupations
Sitting to close to your monitor
Rhino Vipers
Leopard Geckos
Ball Pythons
Cornsnakes
Eating fast
Sodas
Doritos
Cheez-Its
Doughnuts
Cheeseburgers
Idiots in charge of our rights...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...805exotic.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...0805snake.html

Old 08-07-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
Missymonkey
Don't forget to add Republicans to your dangerous list. (Or should I say politicians in general?)

Old 08-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
Ken Harbart
At the risk of turning this into a political debate, I'd take a Republican over a Democrat any day of the week. However, it essentially boils down to the GOP being the lesser of two evils.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
screamdreams
Another Ohio incident...

Looks like an Alligator was found in someone's backyard today in Dayton, Ohio!! I'll post more info as it comes in.

Old 08-07-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
Darin Chappell
Ohio really shouldn't be so surprised about all of the exotic reptiles showing up all over the place. With rats like George Voinavich (sp?), Jerry Springer, and Jim Trafficant around . . .the herps were bound to show up sooner or later!

Old 08-10-2003, 09:54 AM   #6
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
I've never heard of a "poisonous snake" let alone one that "attacked".
Although venomous is the word mostly used to describe snakes that can inject venom, the word poison is not incorrect in this context. All venom is poisonous; however not all poisons are venom. Purists like to use venom and venomous, yet I have heard noted herpetologists use the word poison to describe venom. This a dictionary description of venom:
Quote:
1 : poisonous matter normally secreted by some animals (as snakes, scorpions, or bees) and transmitted to prey or an enemy chiefly by biting or stinging; broadly : material that is poisonous
It came from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

As to snakes attacking someone, even a defensive bite is in essence an attack, but I imagine you meant otherwise. If you mean an attack whereby the snake actually goes after someone, well there are documented cases of this happening quite frequently. Many species of snakes are quite aggressive. King Cobras have been documented to actually chase and attack people, and a few species of snakes in Australia are known for their aggressive attacks wherein they actually are the aggressors.

Your point however, about the bad press, is well taken.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!