S373 python Ban Hearing Set!!!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
hhmoore
Sure they do...but if our arguments don't hold water, how much good do you think they will do? If you want to send them a bunch of crap, go for it. I'm going to stick with my previous recommendation.
Of course, if they don't do much more than count papers, it doesn't matter what's on them.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
TropicalSerpent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Jeremy,
While I appreciate your enthusiasm for the cause, a number of your "facts" are just plain ol' incorrect. Realistic, accurate statements are better allies in this case...presenting a few half baked or sensationalized theories is enough to get one's entire message disregarded.
Yeah I know Some are a little "outthere" But you have to rerember itns not impossible for that to heppen man landed on the moon and people said it would never happen.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #23
Twizted Paths
There is no reason to lower ourselves to their level. If you allow them to provoke you into the same behavior and thought patterns that we are trying to fight then they win.

Just like we take their stupidest spokesperson and wave them around saying "Hey look at this idiot, doesn't know the difference between a boa and a ball!"
They will take our stupidest person and do the same.

Please don't any of us be that person

As for the pit bull comment ~

Kindly do NOT advocate the murder and banning of other people's pets, be they furred, feathered, scaled or finned in a misguided attempt to save your own.

I think the AKC had the breed specific laws over ruled as unconstitutional. Perhaps instead of encouraging the laws to be brought back you could be using that energy to see how that ruling could apply to our snakes.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
TropicalSerpent
Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
There is no reason to lower ourselves to their level. If you allow them to provoke you into the same behavior and thought patterns that we are trying to fight then they win.

Just like we take their stupidest spokesperson and wave them around saying "Hey look at this idiot, doesn't know the difference between a boa and a ball!"
They will take our stupidest person and do the same.

Please don't any of us be that person

As for the pit bull comment ~

Kindly do NOT advocate the murder and banning of other people's pets, be they furred, feathered, scaled or finned in a misguided attempt to save your own.

I think the AKC had the breed specific laws over ruled as unconstitutional. Perhaps instead of encouraging the laws to be brought back you could be using that energy to see how that ruling could apply to our snakes.

I hope they do Put laws on our snakes,Like We should be required to chip them because of Stupid owners who release them,And the pitbull comment was not trying to bsn them pu to make people realize snakes are not the only pet that are monsters here in the states,I own a rednose(breed of pit) So I have no intent of shooting it down.Its the fact Clear and Simple which you did not get the point If it was snakes or dogs IN the house on the bill I would say of these members of govn. would choose dogs over snakes,I want to make the point clear that dogs are capable of killing people just like snakes. So If i really wanted to save my own I guess I would save my pit too,know my pets.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
TropicalSerpent
SO let me define "Laws" I think IN Flordia ONLY that like it is now,BUmrs retics boas etc. should be microchiped so if they are released they are found.

But instead they are carrying out to ban them all when the problem is Fixed.

However People from other states may drop off snakes into the everglades with out chips.

SO Yeah If I would throw a law on snakes,It would be to chip them.
NOT TO BAN THEM.

I think in todays times snake owners are more responsible because for one the economy It takes money to raise big snakes and People who have burms and retics(Most of them) have had them for a long time and will not release them,2 their are allot more Herp Centers out there who can take in unwated snakes SO they donot have to be released,3 People are more aware and know more information about the large breed vs. 20 years ago.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
Twizted Paths
They talked about micro chipping everything here in Ohio, I fought that as well. I am against the embedding of foreign objects into my critters. I can, however, see situations where it would be the prudent thing to do.

Actually, I am just plain against the government trying to run every aspect of my life and running roughshod over the Constitution.

Micro-chipping, unless done by the breeders, only works on the law abiding owners. Law abiding owners generally aren't going to illegally dump their animals. More laws on the books aren't going to fix the problem. Education and enforcing of existing ones will help more.

Yes, this should be a Florida issue. Instead it is being decided for All the states. This sort of ignoring the tenth amendment is just all to common, which is why I encourage people to call their local reps as well as the usark list.

This bill/amendment isn't even based on logic let alone scientific fact. HSUS doesn't care about rational facts or logic, they care about turning their private agenda into public law by any means possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed as hell about this too but I believe our cause is best served but staying polite and professional. Let them look like the crazy extremists, we are just american citizens trying to peacefully enjoy our pets, hobby and/or profession.

I agree with your last paragraph, education and hobbyist lead resources are a great asset and more should be done to publicize and support the legitimate ones

Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalSerpent View Post
I hope they do Put laws on our snakes,Like We should be required to chip them because of Stupid owners who release them,And the pitbull comment was not trying to bsn them pu to make people realize snakes are not the only pet that are monsters here in the states,I own a rednose(breed of pit) So I have no intent of shooting it down.Its the fact Clear and Simple which you did not get the point If it was snakes or dogs IN the house on the bill I would say of these members of govn. would choose dogs over snakes,I want to make the point clear that dogs are capable of killing people just like snakes. So If i really wanted to save my own I guess I would save my pit too,know my pets.
Please - don't write letters or make phone calls....

Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #28
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Actually, I am just plain against the government trying to run every aspect of my life and running roughshod over the Constitution.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #29
ReptileJay
In all honesty, how do you expect any law this outrageous to ever succeed?
First off, I'm sure the government realizes there is an extremely substantial tax revenue being generated through the reptile industry, and that without boas ans pythons, that industry pretty much crumbles... The government LOVES (and needs) money... Moreso now than ever.
In addition to that, how is it even possible for an already financially starved government to enforce a law of this magnitude? There simply is not the manpower or financial backing to make this law viable even if it were to be passed.
I could go on and on about the lack of scientific basis surrounding this proposal, but perhaps another time...
While I'm not saying to ignore the matter (because that never does any good), but I would try not to allow the situation to cause you to stress out too much...

Does anyone really expect us ALL to simply STOP doing what we love to avoid a small fine? (Doubtful)

Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #30
Twizted Paths
Quote:
In all honesty, how do you expect any law this outrageous to ever succeed?
With the attitude you're displaying/encouraging yes, sadly I do.

Quote:
First off, I'm sure the government realizes there is an extremely substantial tax revenue being generated through the reptile industry, and that without boas ans pythons, that industry pretty much crumbles... The government LOVES (and needs) money... Moreso now than ever.
USARK already tried that argument and failed. Our industry falls below the minimum needed.

Quote:
In addition to that, how is it even possible for an already financially starved government to enforce a law of this magnitude? There simply is not the manpower or financial backing to make this law viable even if it were to be passed.
When has that ever stopped them before?

Pot heads, smoking bans, seat belt tickets, talk n drive tickets.......

Quote:
I could go on and on about the lack of scientific basis surrounding this proposal, but perhaps another time...
This is the goverment, science and reason have been systematically outlawed, underfunded, ignored and called un american for many years now. It's all about publicity. That's a seperate issue though.

Quote:
While I'm not saying to ignore the matter (because that never does any good), but I would try not to allow the situation to cause you to stress out too much...
No, no don't stress, just lay back chill, it'll be alright. The government will do what's best for us.

Quote:
Does anyone really expect us ALL to simply STOP doing what we love to avoid a small fine? (Doubtful)
Of course not, that won't generate enough funds to cover enforcement. For that you need mandatory permits, licenses, microchipping, vet exams (from an approved source), yearly and surprise inspections. And lots of little fines for minor infractions. and Court costs.
Plus anytime somebody needs to look good and grab some votes/funding all they have to do is bust one of us dangerous snake smugglers who were endangering the whole city with our horrible invasive monsters.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!