40 Dead Snakes Found In Greensboro Home, Man Charged - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
garweft
And getting your power turned off is a BS excuse. You can get it turned back on the same day in most cases, at worst you'll need to wait till the next day. Plus you can pick up a kerosene heater that will keep a room nice and warm till the power is turned back on.

When it comes right down to it I won't even say he's wrong or evil because his snakes died. I'm more upset with how he handled the whole situation after the fact. It makes all of us look like trash.

I've had snakes die unexpectedly over the years and I can promise you one thing, I didn't leave them in a cage rotting for someone else to clean up.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
I've had snakes die unexpectedly over the years and I can promise you one thing, I didn't leave them in a cage rotting for someone else to clean up.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_huggs View Post
I've lost power before, even for a whole weekend... not one of my reptiles died, they slowed down a bit, but were thriving the moment their lamps kicked back on. Also, the whole roommate story sounds like grade A balogna to me. I'm sorry, but if I had thousands of dollars worth of snake (oh how I wish!) There would be an absolute zero chance of me leaving the responsibility of keeping the power on to my flaky roomie....
Back up generators are pretty expensive, plus it's just human nature to procrastinate about getting the necessary stuff before the fun stuff. I wouldn't say it's implausable. Especially seeing as he was too lazy to even clean out the animals [regardless of how they passed], or anything else in the house after his time in the rental was over. It seems like his personality type for sure. I have yet to say that I'm totting that quote as accurate, I'm merely using it to point out that we don't know the situation, there are many possible ways the animals could have died that don't include cruely/neglect on the owner's part.

If you have more faith in an assumption you made based on the circumstances the ever-so-honest media presented than an anonymous, unverified comment in the comment box explaining what had happened [and imo, making more sense] then that's you're choice. I'm just taking it as a grain of salt and realizing that there are many possibilities to this story that don't involve animal cruelty.

Quote:
How quickly do you think loss of power could kill 40 snakes? Sure, the weaker ones could've last too long... kinda leads me to question this man's abilities before the "outage". I might have read wrong, b
It depends. BPs are pretty intolerant to cold, I recall seeing pictures of frozen pythons during the exceptionally cold winter in the everglades last year. If it was below freezing or slightly above, less than an hour. If it was high 40s to low 60s, much longer but likely within a few hours. 60+ and they probably would have been fine, and acted as you suggested earlier in your post.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
herp_huggs
he definitely should have cleaned it up too. That makes him awefully suspicious, no matter what killed those animals.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRainbow View Post
I'm merely using it to point out that we don't know the situation, there are many possible ways the animals could have died that don't include cruely/neglect on the owner's part.
I'm sorry I just don't agree with you here. I don't see a plausible scenario where you can lose 40+ snakes all around the same time and it not be neglect of some sort (accidental or otherwise)?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #26
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Clearly you have never had or come close to having frostbite.

Look at these:

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...euthanasia.pdf

http://www.iacuc.pitt.edu/sop/Euth-A...shReptiles.pdf

Mader, D.R. (1996). Euthanasia and necropsy. In: D.R. Mader (Editor), Reptile Medicine and Surgery, W.B. Saunders Company: Philadelphia, p. 277-281.

These are just a few of the sources of information I found in about 10 mins of searching!

Somehow, freezing as an acceptable method of euthanasia has persisted even though it is NOT humane. Probably because people hold on to the idea that "no one has shown me evidence it isn't humane."
If you had read the link more thoroughly, you'd have found that it actually validated what I said.

"but there is no evidence that whole body cooling reduces pain or is clinically
efficacious."

Which means there's also no evidence that there isn't, because that would validate that there was.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_huggs View Post
Not sure what happened, but here's the rest of my post:
I might have read wrong, but my understanding was that he had just moved out less than a week before the landlord inspected (finding many dead snakes in different ranges of decomp, including some that were only bones)... if I'm correct in reading that, his whole "my roommate turned off the electricity and all my precious snakes died" story is in the toilet....
Where was that stated?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #28
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
I'm sorry I just don't agree with you here. I don't see a plausible scenario where you can lose 40+ snakes all around the same time and it not be neglect of some sort (accidental or otherwise)?
An accident isn't necessarily neglect. The scenario I gave you was plausible.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #29
herp_huggs
It does seem kinda "cut and dry" so to speak, but I understand the twisted media idea... honestly though, without this guy's side of the story we'll never know, and I don't see him fessing up any time soon. I think we can all agree on a couple things:
This isn't gonna happen to our animals (I hope.... lol)
And this is a very tragic story. (with or without fault)

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #30
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRainbow View Post
If you had read the link more thoroughly, you'd have found that it actually validated what I said.

"but there is no evidence that whole body cooling reduces pain or is clinically
efficacious."

Which means there's also no evidence that there isn't, because that would validate that there was.
WHAT?

That's actually how the scientific method works! They failed to support that cooling is effective. Pretty much standard operating procedure for science. They set out to see if cooling is an effective method for euthanasia and it isn't!

Those who WANT to use freezing as a method will always find ways to justify it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!