Eastern Indigo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Ace of Snakes
Eastern Indigo

I have some exciting news to tell you that I have kepted on the down low for some time. Shhhh lol
We applied for a Eastern Indigo permit and they gave it to us. We were able to get it since I will be doing more and more teaching at Annette's school though out the year. I will not be breeding it and she will only be a pet to teach the youth. I have to say that as a kid, I remember going to the zoo and holding a 7 foot indigo and was blown away by it. Well, my childhood dream of owning one has come true. I know I know, it is not a ball, boa, hognose or gtp but it tickles my pickle. There are only a few people with permits to have them in the State of Florida and I am one of them. Did I have to jump though hoops.....DAMN I did. Pictures, long applications going back and forth, signatures, having everything notified etc but we did it. Very happy....FREAKING HAPPY!!!!

"Irrational fear and prejudice can often be cured by one pleasant experience"

Here she is. Oh and we need a name for her. Looking for Florida related names. Right now I like Oseola but it is not written in stone.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
~Just Curious~
Wow, that must have been tough! But it looks like it was all worth it - CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Your girl is beautiful too!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Johnny
Congrats! Tough to obtain in the State of Florida. It's sad to see the population of Easterns dwindle due to development/habitat fragmentation. I just wish the State of Florida were more lenient and allow people to work with this wonderful species in a captive population. Beautiful looking Eastern with perfect belly scales. Do you mind if I ask who's stock it is?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Ace of Snakes
I picked this girl up from Kenny Salito out in Cali. Awesome guy to deal with.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Johnny
Thanks! I'm if not mistaken, she was a product of Takata X Bruce animal. Trying to keep track of the genetic lines of Easterns is getting tougher Should get a male with her especially for teaching/display purposes. Nothing like a big A## male Drymarchon to show to the kids. When I go to ECCM's place (AlanB), it's a like a kid in the candy store with his huge collection of adult Drymarchons.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Ace of Snakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Thanks! I'm if not mistaken, she was a product of Takata X Bruce animal. Trying to keep track of the genetic lines of Easterns is getting tougher Should get a male with her especially for teaching/display purposes. Nothing like a big A## male Drymarchon to show to the kids. When I go to ECCM's place (AlanB), it's a like a kid in the candy store with his huge collection of adult Drymarchons.
The father was obtained by me from Steve Takata of Berkley, CA as a juvenile in 2007 and the mother by Robert Bruce of Palmdale, CA in 2008.

YOUR GOOD!!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Ace of Snakes
I would love to get a male but we can not breed them in Florida so I don't believe they will allow me to get one. I am happy with this girl to say the least. I know Kenny hatched this one out. I would need to ask where he got his stock from to know the parents.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
lovin2act
Congrats!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Johnny
Counterintuitive isn't it? A threatened species with continued habitat loss but prohibited from breeding in captivity. I better shut up

Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Johnny
With the current state of captive Eastern Indigos it's been real tough to find unrelated lines as no legal specimens from WC origins have been introduced into captive lines for probably two decades now because of all the legal restrictions. What's worse is that Drymarchon take very poorly to inbreeding/line breeding and lots of specimens were line bred for red throats in the 90's early 2000's. Literally, you can start seeing genetic aberrations in the scales from just one sibling breeding. The good thing about your baby there is that Bruce and Takata (to my understanding) aren't the best of buddies so the parents of this baby are prolly unrelated. That's prolly why she looks so clean Anyway, feed her a variety of food sources (quail/chicks/rodents) and supplement her diet so she doesn't grow up looking all dumpy like Easterns who are fed exclusively on pure fatty rodent diets.