Pleasent development - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
DThomas
Pleasent development

Back at the end of January, Laura F had sent an adult normal female to me for a breeder loan. The intention was to breed her to my albino male when he reached an appropriate size in a couple of months. At the begining of this month, Laura approached me with an offer to trade the female for some t-stats and I accepted. This girl is real nice looking normal, weighed 2100g, and was as calm as can be. My 7 year old daughter routinely takes her out by herself and holds her. I even took her to her school for show and tell about a month and a half ago. She did great with all of those little kids.

Anyways, my girlfriend was over today while I was running around the house taking care of things. She asks me if it's normal that there is a white clump in one of the snake cages. Keep in mind, she did not specify that it was in with one of the BP's. I have boas and bp's. She had asked if it could be urates and I told her it most likely was and made mental note that I had an enclosure to clean.

Shortly there after, we go to Lowes to pick up a new steel shelf system for my boa cages. (Re-organizing, Again...lol) When we return, we bring thebox in and when I set it on the floor, I look over at the rack the BP's are in and see the biggest white lump I have ever seen.

Now I know this is't urates, just way too big. I slide the tub out and I'll be darned if it isn't an egg. This comes as a bit of a shock as I have not breed her to anything since she arrived. I see that she is coiled tightly in the center of the tub and I gently lift her up with a hook. (No I did not feel like getting bit...lol) She was coiled up around atleast three more eggs that I could see. The one egg by itself was dimpled pretty bad so of course that put me into panic mode. I was in no way prepared to have eggs right now.

Luckly, I had already purchased my incubator from Casey. I had the funds and had the intention of breeding them sometime so figured might as well get it now. So I go over to the incubator and get it plugged in and the temp set. Yell at the girlfriend we have to go to wal-mart, Now!

When we get to the garden center, I ask the girl at the register where the perlite is. All I get is an extremely confused look and an "I don't know what that is." I tried to explain what it was and she had no clue. I eventually find it and get some shoe boxes also. Get all that home, mix up the perlite with warm water and get set to go get the eggs.

I slide the tub open and use my hook to lift the girl up. again, no I did not feel like getting tagged. Luckly she only hissed once and readily came off the eggs. To my surprise, she was sitting on 6 more! I take all 7 eggs, get them in the box, and get the whole thing into the incubator.

Of course, I need to get a hold of Laura and find out what she breed this girl to. I speak with her that night and find out she had been breed to a Nerd Line Lemon Pastel. Woohoo!!

I also spoke with Jay Owens and he was very helpful with some tips. I had done the research but this is my first clutch of eggs and wanted to make sure everything was done right. Jay pointed out a couple of things I hadn't thought of that will be very helpful.

This was my introduction to ball python eggs. I don't think I need anymore introductions like this...lol

Old 03-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
NathanLedet
Now that's a pretty nice surprise!

Just curious, will you be sending any of what's hatched to Laura F?

Old 03-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
DThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanLedet
Now that's a pretty nice surprise!

Just curious, will you be sending any of what's hatched to Laura F?
That's one of the first things I asked her. I offered and she declined. She doesn't want anymore snakes right now. She has her hands full wiith what she has.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
NathanLedet
well that's pretty awesome. I'm in the market for a female pastel...so if any are hatched, lemme know

Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
WOW! Talk about lucky!
Congrats! Nows the hard part......waiting!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Wolfy-hound
That's SO awesome!! Congrats!! Surprise!! Eggs. Well it is close to easter, maybe your girl was gonna hide them for you to find then? Not her fault the timing was a little off, snakes can't read calenders!
Theresa

Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
LadyOhh
Very nice, Dennis!!! Congratulations, and keep us updated. That is a great suprise!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
garweft
Wow, that's a nice suprise. I'm never that lucky. Here's to hoping they hatch out both pastel and female heavy.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
hhmoore
Good deal, DT. Have fun with the little buggers.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
iasc300
awesome that story was good- goodluck with the eggs- we want pics

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!