Retics be BANNED - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Riyeko
Retics be BANNED

This coming year I am going to get a couple snakes with mah tax monies that ive wanted for a while that I think are really awesome.

Anyway, one of the snakes on my wish list is a Lavendar Reticulated Python.
I want one with high yellows and high purples.

BUT... heres the kicker.
(my husband and I do our herping together, and he does a lot of the research while i "execute" that research (aka feeding, habitat, etc))..

My husband told me this evening that Retics are banned by USARK.
That I have to find someone in the state of Missouri that breeds or has one for sale.
Now I am going to look for one on craigs list when April rolls around next year, but I would most rather would want to buy one from here, since I can do a bit more research on someone here, than some weirdo (no offense to those who do craigs list, but ive met some interesting people from on there), on craigs list.

Any information, suggestions, or someone pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyeko View Post
My husband told me this evening that Retics are banned by USARK.
I'm hoping it's just a weird grammatical error, but surely you don't think USARK banned retics?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
BrianC
No.
Burms/Indian Pythons, And anacondas are banned from interstate trade by the Lacey act.
Retics can be bought and sold out of state.

But ya' know, google could have told you that.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
USARK is trying to help fight the bans and is trying to collect enough money to mount a federal lawsuit to overturn the Lacy Act ban.

You can read more here:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=297574
http://usark.org/action-alert/usark-...strictor-rule/

and yes, at this point, you can only buy the restricted species within your own state and cannot transport them across state lines (assuming it's legal to keep in your state/county/city).

as Brian said, Retics are still legal to get in the US across state lines

Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Burms/Indian Pythons, And anacondas are banned from interstate trade by the Lacey act.
Not quite that, either - Burms, afrocks (both sebae and natalensis), and yellow anacondas.
Indian pythons were already restricted, because they are on the USFW Endangered Species list (way back when, non natives were put on this list...then CITES happened).
Green anacondas were not affected.

Also, they weren't banned, technically - they were added to the injurious wildlife list, which prohibits importation and interstate transport.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyeko View Post
Anyway, one of the snakes on my wish list is a Lavendar Reticulated Python.
I want one with high yellows and high purples.
Confusing statement is confusing.

Do you want a purple? Or do you want a lavender? Two different phases of Clark albino strain. A lavender, is well, lavender. Not going to get a lavender with "high purples". Then it'd be a purple, instead of a lavender.

All forms of albinism in retics, except for the Ghost, are going to have a fair amount of yellow. If you want a yellow-HEAD albino, that'll be a little harder to find. If someone's reselling an albino, they most likely didn't ask for lineage, so you'd go in blind unless you got a sub-adult in the 6-8ft area, and could physically see for yourself the amount of yellow it has.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Riyeko
Okay first, all but this comment are completely confusing to me.

Sure I make mistakes constantly when it comes to political groups because I honestly dont give a crap.
Just as long as someone is out there fighting the good fight, I try and stay the hell out of stuff.

Anyway, so are Reticulated Pythons banned completely? Or no?
And yeah sure, I use google quite often, but right now searching for banned snakes via the Lacey act, or USARK, or individual state laws is like searching for a needle in a stack of needles. Its painful and time consuming (I honestly dont want to spend 20 minutes looking to see if one type/breed of snake is banned since all i get are results for news broadcasts and other things like blogs n whatnot that are completely irrelevant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Confusing statement is confusing.

Do you want a purple? Or do you want a lavender? Two different phases of Clark albino strain. A lavender, is well, lavender. Not going to get a lavender with "high purples". Then it'd be a purple, instead of a lavender.
Well, I didnt know there were certain types, im more of a cornsnake/boa person. My husband does research on ball pythons, so retics are on the back burner of both of our knowledge bases lol.

But I am looking for a retic that looks like this picture:
http://www.constrictors.com/images/A...rpleAlbino.jpg

Hes so pretty lol

Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Anyway, so are Reticulated Pythons banned completely? Or no?
I answered that question some time ago, via PM.

USARK cannot ban anything.
Retics did not get added to the Injurious Wildlife list (covered by Lacey).
There is no Federal restriction on the interstate transport of retics.
Whether there are local laws that might impact your right to receive and/or own a retic is a different matter, and one that we can't as easily answer for you.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
RoadHouse of Retics
Based off that picture you are looking for a purple.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
salottimc
Not to offend, but I'd have to suggest you do a lot more research on retics before taking the plunge. They are certainly no ball python or cornsnake. These snakes can be extremely pretty, but keep in mind they can get up to 20+ feet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!