shipping fears - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
sschind
shipping fears

I know that there have been many shipping topics here, but I have never seen one address my particular problem. I have a few animals to sell, but I just can't bring myself to cross over that shipping line. I have received many animals in good condition, but I have always been afraid to ship my own. Primarily because I am not sure if I will do it right. I really don't know what I am looking for here, perhaps someone to tell me to grow up and get over it already, but has anyone else had to overcome those fears. Obviously my sale will improve if I can offer shipping.

I would like to converse (probably best via private email as not to waste space here) with anyone with suggestions (although those suggestions would probably help others as well) Rules of thumb for packing, box sizes, inner packs (deli cups etc) heat packs and cool packs, best carriers (Airborne fed ex or ups would probably be my choices) drop off procedures, labeling (I don't like the idea of having to lie about what's in my package)

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Steve Schindler

Old 01-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
WebSlave
In case anyone is interested, one of the new forums I opened up recently is specifically for posting issues in relation to shipping.

Shipping Forum

You are all welcome to use that if you wish.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Steve,

There was an excellent thread on shipping in this same forum. Scroll down and you will find it. If you want to know specifics you can e-mail me privately.

Best regards,

Daniel

Old 01-21-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
I'll offer my shipping procedures and practices, maybe it will give you a few ideas.

First off, establish an account with the carrier you intend to use, I wouldn't use drop off locations.
I'd go with either Airborne or FedEx, I use Airborne myself, but the choice is yours. The difference being Airborne does, according to their own terms and conditions allow some reptile shipments. It's only chelonians and amphibians, but they do allow them. This may make it somewhat easier to deal with them as a company.
The point being, with an account, they pick up at your door. With this situation you won't have any problems with labeling. I mark all my packages on the airbill with live harmless reptiles and the latin name for the species. I have yet to encounter any problems.
In my opinion a contributing factor is that the drivers are on a schedule and really do not care what you are shipping, and once it's in the system there's no problems. At drop off counters though, you are much more likely to be denied shipping services for reptiles.

For the packaging, I make my own shipping boxes. I do this primarily because of one of Airborne's nuances about the method they calculate shipping. They use one of two methods, whichever is in their best interest, either actual weight or dimensional weight. They take the cubic inches of the box and divide by I believe 190 to get the dimensional weight. If this is higher than the actual weight, that is what they charge.
This means you can ship a standard reptile shipping box containing a feather or 5 or 6 pounds of rocks for the same money.
I make my boxes as small as possible while ensuring the safety of the animal, because with shipping herps, you will nearly always get billed the dimensional weight.

I use discarded boxes of the appropriate size, and line them with styrofoam blue board, an insulation material found at most building supply places. I use either the 3/4" or the 1" thickness for the best insulation.

For small herps, hatchling snakes etc, I place them in deli cups. It's important to remember to tape the lid down. These lids can and will come off and you don't want the animal escaping during shipping. For adult snakes or larger lizards, I use bags.
I place the container in the box and fill around it very well with either newspaper or styrofoam peanuts. The idea is to allow as little movement of the container as possible. With animals in bags, don't pach it so tightly as to make the animal uncomfortable, but with deli cups, I pack it fairly tightly to avoid as much bouncing as possible.

When necessary I use heat packs I get from RLD Enterprises .
They sell both 35 and 60 hour packs.
I like to wrap the packs in a single layer of newspaper and tape them down to the inside of the package to avoid them coming in direct contact with the animal.
As for cool packs, I'd like to get some ideas of what others use as well. I've only used the reusable freezer packs like you would use in a cooler to take lunch to work.
I do the vast majority of my shipping in the fall though, and cool packs are usually not a concern.

Shipping is a nerve wracking process for anyone who cares both about the animals and the satisfaction of the person buying them. I know I track the packages much more often than the person receiving them, and it's always in the back of my mind until they let me know they arrived safely.
I suppose this may be different if I shipped a dozen boxes a week, but I do not.
To date, using the procedures I have outlined, I have never lost an animal during shipping or ever had a complaint about the condition in which an animal arrived. It may be more work fo rme than other methods of packing and shipping, but I know I've done my best to ensure safe delivery.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
Pennebaker
I can empathize here. It was steps for me...

1st step--buying over the internet--I was petrified to buy reptiles over the internet for years--broke that barrier by seeing animals from a specific breeder and knowing that I just had to have one...

2nd step--selling over the internet (not face to face)

3rd step-- shipping--first just shipping during climate weather--working into winter shipping. This is a scary time of year to ship. Although I've done a million tests, and ship all the time--I am nervous about each package this time of year.

But, hey, it works!

Dana

Old 01-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #7
dwedeking
Quote:
I suppose this may be different if I shipped a dozen boxes a week, but I do not.
Nope, still watch the tracking until they are at the door

I have to agree the first step and probably most important is setting up an account with a shipper. You can get letters of exception from those that don't regularly accept animals you just have to jump through some hoops. But the ease of mind is worth the initial hassle. Also once your driver knows what your packing (and receiving) they will get special care (usually) at least for the first leg of the trip. This requires communicating with the driver and establishing some type of relationship.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
sschind
To everyone who has helped so far, thanks for the advice and support. I appologize for being so lazy and not searching first. I suppose there are a few people with good advice who simply ignored me because they get tired of answering the same questions. I will check out the links provided and the shipping forum, and I just may take some of you up on your offer to help via email.

you have all been very helpful.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!