Refunding shipping costs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
Sexy Scales
Refunding shipping costs?

Well, I am in need of opinions... I shipped an animal out via USPS and (shock) it was late. This basically means that I get refunded the $30 (huge box, which is the reason it didn't go via UPS). Since the buyer paid for the gecko and $35 for shipping, should she get the money back?? She hasn't asked and has been quite wonderful about everything, but I just don't know what's fair. I spend more than the $35 between insulated box, heat packs, and I threw in some extra insulating materials since it was going very north. Point of that, if I just cover my costs, I'd be refunding like $20 or so... Just don't know what to do on this one. Like I said, the buyer hasn't asked for any money back and actually told me to make sure I get my money back from USPS, but the whole conscience thing... What would you all do?

Thanks guys,
Erin

Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Neil Gubitz
Erin.... this is a very easy one to answer.... your customer paid for the shipping (in one way or another).... the money belongs to HER!.... There are times in this biz when you just have to bite the bullet and do the right thing.... even if it means you lose money.... but, you're not out anything???.... If the package arrived on time, you wouldn't have gotten that money back to begin with??.... Why should YOU benefit from that??
Rule of thumb.... when in doubt, side with the customer!.... You will be a HERO in their eyes!

....Neil

Old 01-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
Sexy Scales
Neil,
I wasn't really questioning if they should be refunded, just how much. My point was that I spend basically $15 on just packing the little sucker up. I decided that the cost of actual shipping ($30) would be fair... that way I'd only be out $10 on the whole thing and most people get boxes for $5 (I had a lot of extra stuff in there to keep the kid warm). Thanks for your $.02 though... you usually have pretty good business ideas And if you think it's wrong to keep the $5, feel free to let me know (as I'm sure you will).

Thanks

Erin

Old 01-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Neil Gubitz
Erin.... keep the $5 as a tip for being honest!.... The point is.... whatever you charged them for SHIPPING ONLY!!, is the amount you should return.... in other words, whatever amount of money was returned to you, should go to them.... no more, no less!.... Does that help??

....Neil

Old 01-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #5
Adam Block
Neil, not that I agree or disagree with you but here are my thoughts.

I have never asked for the money back when it wnet the other way. I've had more then a couple of shipments go bad and have helped the people get a credit to their account to keep. I've also had a few go the other way when I was the shipper and had the person call me and tell me the box got their late and to get a refund.

For this reason and because it's never come into play as to who would get the funds I've always had the shipper keep the refund.

I see your side to that but I would say, well I don't know. I see your point I juat haven't ever asked for the money or had anybody even willing to accept it from me.

I could see if the animal/s didn't get their alive but if they do I just looked at it like I got the animals shipped to me and that's what I paid for so why should I get a refund?

Adam Block

PS I wouldn't loose money, take what it cost you and send the rest to the other person.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:05 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I could see if the animal/s didn't get their alive but if they do I just looked at it like I got the animals shipped to me and that's what I paid for so why should I get a refund?
Much like it has always been said that people paid for live animals, they also pay to have them delivered where and when they should be.

If you tell a customer that a shipment will arrive on a certain date and it does not, you refund that shipping money because they did not get the shipping that they paid for, even if it was a carrier mistake.

I may not be taking days off work to get shipments in... You might not be either Adam... but many people do make signifigant arrangements prior to having an animal sent, often taking unpaid abscence days from their place of employment.

I know shipping items on time is a foreign concept to you (Mostly joking here) but others do try to make it a point to deliver when they are supposed to.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:38 PM   #7
gila7150
I agree with the others. The buyer should receive whatever amount is refunded to you. They were inconvenienced (even if it wasn't your fault) and they didn't get what they paid for (timely shipping.)
Like Neil said...if the buyer isn't expecting a refund they will probably think very highly of you when you suprise them. Happy customers keep coming back and bring friends...that alone is worth $30

Chris Raden

Old 01-09-2003, 11:20 PM   #8
Darin Chappell
$30 is cheap advertizing for being a great, honest, and trustworthy seller when this buyer spreads the word around about you!!

Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #9
dwedeking
Neil is right 100%.

Take care of your customers and in the long run they'll take care of you.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:10 AM   #10
Adam Block
Quote:
$30 is cheap advertizing for being a great, honest, and trustworthy seller when this buyer spreads the word around about you!!
Ha!! That one is a joke! I gave away 75 snakes this year and it was the worst advertising dollars I've ever spent. I don't mind, they were given to many first time buyers and I wasn't looking for anything in return.

I do agree, for the most part with you all. I'm only saying, it's happend to me maybe 6 times a snake didn't get here on time. Not once did I even think that was my money or that it was owed to me. I always made sure to let the shipper know so they could get their refund.

As I said, I agree with you all I just never saw it from this point.

Adam Block

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!