Rat snake not feeding - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
annmikeal
mine are 09s, so basically still babies

I think putting him in a feeding thing sounds like a good idea. If he isnt losing any weight and everything is set up right, maybe he is just ready for brumation (some species just do it on their own)...

Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorgrim View Post
ahh thats another good idea!

Was yours a baby when you were doing this? this guy is a little big to put in a delicup now lol, hes 3 years old, BUT i do have extra feeding bins and some one suggested using a small pillowcase to keep him close to the food till he eats it?

I think this time im going to try that and use a small cup with a live fuzzy and a F/t fuzzy to see if he will take both :3

lemme know what you think!
Its hard to get this dude to break old habits :P

I've had luck with paper bags for larger snakes.

Also, if you have a scale, start tracking his weight. I wouldn't get worried until he loses over 20% of his weight (or so I've been told). I had a ball go off feed for months and finally figured out what she prefered. She ate three rats in two weeks and has gone off feed again for over a month. It can be very FUSTRATING!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Dorgrim
hey all! another update

So the snake still is being a little stinker :P he took down 4 live fuzzies just to make sure he had a meal in him and so i could get a good poo sample to make sure it wasnt something inside him causing the issues.

Well...now hes being stubborn again and wont take anythign! I placed him in a bag with his food and he never touched it, even though it was over night and right there for him to take (but it was f/t)

SO im at the point where i really wonder if forcing a f/t for him might let him realize that he can eat already dead prey?

Aside from that, he is a bit thinner at this point, but hes already a slender snake as is. I just dont know what to do! And i do worry about harming him with forcefeeding and feel like it is my last resort!

Right now i didnt have his weight by scale from when i got him, but as of now hes def just empty tummy and isnt lethargic. He still climbs and hangs out on his heat pad, then on the cool side and what not, cruising around, and has a great disposition.
(of course just no eating what so ever!)

the last time i gave him live mice (just to get the dude to eat!) he crawled in with them and hung out, with the blind fuzzies crawling on him while sat there and read a book.
Halp!

also its been 9 weeks now (feeding on 4 fuzzies about 3 weeks ago) ? and hes still looking pretty peppy, but i do worry lol

Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #14
BigTattoo
Before force feeding I would go back to what worked the one time. Throw some fuzzies in there at night and leave him alone. Maybe even add a F/T with some live and see if he'll eat them while he's in a feeding mode. It sounds like he's a pretty shy snake and handling to sack him, feeding tub et al. may just put him off feed. Better to go with what worked than to try to make him do it your way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Dorgrim
Hey all! So its been months sense i last posted but i wanted to update!
So around a month after I posted this I FINALLY got him eating f/t mice! Mixing dead mice with the live mice helped them seem fresher and get him to forget that they were dead.

After working with him hes also switched from only eating small live fuzzies to finally adult mice!! this was HUGE for me! I dont have to worry about feeding him lots of little live mice now and can just throw 2 already dead adults down the hatch! It took a while but i got him to eat for me and it took forever! almost 6 months :P BUT we did it! For those who are working to switch snakes over, dont give up! it takes work thanks everyone for your help!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
Focal
Congrats! He's gorgeous!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!