Pairing outcomes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Pythonbreeder99
Pairing outcomes?

I've got 4 corn snakes to work with this year, I just wanted to ask you guys what the pairing outcomes would be.
1.0 Hypo
0.1 Blizzard
0.1 Candy
0.1? Ghost (assuming for now its female)

Any help would be amazing.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Blazing_Tiger
After learning Snake Genetics today, i thought this would be a good test for me. But i just confused myself a bit. It would be nice if someone could show what the Genes of each cross would look like in the punnett square... Or maybe this wont be so hard?

Hypo x Blizzard = hh x bb... Would two recessive traits just create completely random results, some Hypo's and some Blizzard's?

(sorry if im intruding on your post Cody. I think it may be able to benefit both of us?)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Pythonbreeder99
If they are both recessive traits then when mixing them together you would only get normals which are double het hypo and blizzard. But I'm pretty sure hypo isnt recessive in corns.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Blazing_Tiger
Makes sense. And thank you. On the New England Reptiles site, in its recessive trait table it says that Hypo IS recessive in corns. I don't know who is right?

This information can be found at: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html

But lets say Hypo is dominant in corns. Then...

Hypo x Blizzard = HH x bb = All Hypo het. for blizzard.
They will all be Hypo het. for [Insert female morph here] i believe? Unless i'm missing something which i probably am because that doesn't sound right.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
RachelSnakes
Hypo is recessive in corns. But, if you breed two animals who are both homo. for hypo (the ghost female and the hypo male) then you will get a whole clutch of hypos 100% het anery (because the ghost parent is also homo for anery but the hypo doesn't have the anery gene

Breeding hypo x blizzard will give you all normals 100% het for anery b, albino, and hypo. And breeding the hypo x candy cane(a form of albino) will give you all normals 100% het for albino and hypo

Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Pythonbreeder99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing_Tiger View Post
Makes sense. And thank you. On the New England Reptiles site, in its recessive trait table it says that Hypo IS recessive in corns. I don't know who is right?

This information can be found at: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html

But lets say Hypo is dominant in corns. Then...

Hypo x Blizzard = HH x bb = All Hypo het. for blizzard.
They will all be Hypo het. for [Insert female morph here] i believe? Unless i'm missing something which i probably am because that doesn't sound right.
Nope, youve got it right! After some research you were right about them being recessive, as soon as I know wether its recessive dominant or co-dominant I can usually figure it out from there! Hypo x Blizzard = 100% triple het albino, hypo, and anery.
Hypo x Ghost = 100% Hypo het anery
Hypo x Candy = 100% double het hypo and albino.
Seem correct? Also I have an offer to get a male starburst on loan (I believe its a hypo anery albino motley) is that correct? If so, it would be a tripple recessive dominant correct?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Pythonbreeder99
Just one more question.
I know Hypo is short for Hypomelanistic meaning lack of black pigmentation (melanism). Knowing that, I am having doubts that this male Corn I was told was a hypo is actually hypo. What are the odds that it is in fact hypo?
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Pythonbreeder99
heres some belly pics
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonbreeder99 View Post
Also I have an offer to get a male starburst on loan (I believe its a hypo anery albino motley) is that correct? If so, it would be a tripple recessive dominant correct?
Hypo Anery Albino Motley would be a Coral Snow Motley. I've never heard of "Starburst" before, so you got me.

I'm not sure where you're getting the word "dominant" from...Perhaps you mean a triple homozygous recessive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonbreeder99 View Post
Just one more question.
I know Hypo is short for Hypomelanistic meaning lack of black pigmentation (melanism). Knowing that, I am having doubts that this male Corn I was told was a hypo is actually hypo. What are the odds that it is in fact hypo?
Hypomelanistic in Cornsnakes is a recessive mutation that reduces black pigment and brightens color. This does not mean the snake will have no black, just less black then normal. Follow the link for various examples of Hypo.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Pythonbreeder99
Thanks Stephanie, and I thought motley was dominant in corns.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!