Leopard Gecko Morph Identification Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Kyndalbowman
Leopard Gecko Morph Identification Help

Hey guys, I really need help identifying the morphs of two of my leopard geckos ! I've had them both for awhile now, and I know the morphs of my others, but these two just don't seem to match up to any pictures I've found online. The first two photos are of my male and the last two are of the female. *Not the blizzard in the last photo, the one near the top of my leg* Thanks in advance for any help you have !!
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
snowgyre
The male is a high yellow/normal, and the female is a jungle with nice bold markings.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Kyndalbowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
The male is a high yellow/normal, and the female is a jungle with nice bold markings.
Thanks for your help !! I've noticed with the female that she seems to be turning more of a yellow on her back(yet is keeping the dark markings) and is getting some tangerine color at the base of her tail. Is that normal for her morph ?? I tried to find an updated picture but don't have any on my computer at the moment :/

Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
snowgyre
Bold markings is not necessarily a morph that is direct heritable. Albino, snow, leucism, etc. are all examples of traits that can be easily and identifiably passed from generation to generation. High yellow, tangerine, and bold markings are all examples of line bred traits, which may or may not be passed on to the next generation. In the case of bold markings, animals with bold spots were bred with other animals with bold spots, increasing the boldness of markings in offspring over multiple generations. Creating the current bold jungles of today took dozens of leopard gecko generations and at least a decade of human effort.

As for the color change, the animal appeared cold in your original photos. If leopard geckos are kept too cold, their colors darken. Now that you (probably) have her in warmer conditions, she will become brighter. It is fairly normal for leopard geckos to have at least some orange at the base of the tail.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Kyndalbowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Bold markings is not necessarily a morph that is direct heritable. Albino, snow, leucism, etc. are all examples of traits that can be easily and identifiably passed from generation to generation. High yellow, tangerine, and bold markings are all examples of line bred traits, which may or may not be passed on to the next generation. In the case of bold markings, animals with bold spots were bred with other animals with bold spots, increasing the boldness of markings in offspring over multiple generations. Creating the current bold jungles of today took dozens of leopard gecko generations and at least a decade of human effort.

As for the color change, the animal appeared cold in your original photos. If leopard geckos are kept too cold, their colors darken. Now that you (probably) have her in warmer conditions, she will become brighter. It is fairly normal for leopard geckos to have at least some orange at the base of the tail.
Yes, I had just received her in the original photo so there's no doubt that she probably was pretty cool. Thanks so much for all of your help, I appreciate it !!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!