AC in rodent room question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Cat_72
AC in rodent room question

OK, so we installed a new AC unit in my rodent room yesterday (looks like summer is finally finding its way to Iowa!).

In reading the instructions and warnings and all of that stuff, it specifically says to NOT run it through any sort of extension cord, only directly plugged into a proper outlet.

Now, I was planning on plugging it in to a Ranco, wired up with proper heavy-duty cord, to keep the temps more accurately steady, which will be plugged in to the proper sort of outlet (duh). As it is, the fan runs constantly, and the compressor kicks on when and actually cools when it gets above a certain temp, but at night, the running of the fan makes it TOO cool in there, as it's still getting into the 50's at night.

Is this going to cause any problems with the AC unit (just a typical window/wall mounted unit) if I run it thru the Ranco, or is this just one of the reasons that men don't read these instructions?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
monkeywrench133
I can't see why it would. Rancos are designed for commercial use and can handle an awful lot more power than one window unit would draw. I also can't see how it would cause any problems for the unit itself.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Cat_72
Well, that's what I thought, but.....I guess I didn't know if the on/off of the entire unit as opposed to just the compressor would create issues with the unit itself. Then again, the warnings also say that if the power cord were to ever get damaged, you cannot have someone else reinstall just any new one, it has to be one directly from the manufacturer of the unit.....regardless if it is the proper rated cord or not.

I planned on giving it a +/-2 degree differential, thinking this would prevent a constant off/on cycle as well.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
snakeman101172
Typical A/C units will usually not last more than a year in a rodent room. Swamp coolers have a far longer life. I fyou are going to use A/C change the filter weekly. You will be amazed at what is in it. Also try to find an additional high micron filter to help prolong the life of the unit.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
KJUN
Actually, the AC's don't last very long because of the damage done to it from the ammonia in the air. You basically eat holes in the cold once the ammonia combined with the moisture there - and all of your coolant leaks out. On the window units, it is easier to replace them than fix them. I knew one guy that got his coils coated in some SS mixture, but the AC still only lasted about twice as long. Even a pin-sized gap in the coating is enough area for the leak to start. Back when we REALLY bred rodents, we went through 2 units a year - and we cleaned the filters AT LEAST once per week. You can't get rid of the ammonia in the air, though - not completely. The AC will go out on the hottest day of the year meaning your mice die in a couple of hours. It is best, if it gets hot in your area or you have a LOT of rodents in the room, to have two units. We ALWAYS do. One is set 2 degrees warmer than the otyher so it runs MUCH less often. It serves as a back-up for when the other beaks. Check them weekly to make sure they are both putting out cool air!

The problem with a Ranco is the short cycle already mentioned. THAT will burn up the AC relatively fast if you don't set the allowed temp fluctuation HIGH (2 degrees is likely not enough unless you have AWESOME insulation and no air flow). Try a Johnson INSTEAD. It has a function that prevents the AC from having a short cycle. I use them, and set a 5 minute delay. In other words, once the AC kicks off, it is NOT allowed to turn back on for 5 minutes. You can set the delay for 0-12 minutes, I think. 5 seems to be the "recommended" time.

KJ

Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Cat,

Are you sure you need the AC fan running constantly? The one we have has a thermostat so we set it at 78 and plugged in a 12-h cycle timer, it starts at 10 am and shuts off at 10 pm. The Ranco controls just the heater and is set at 75.

Regards,

Dan G.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
Cat_72
The constant running of the fan was what I was trying avoid, actually. I didn't realize when I purchased this one that it would run constantly, I assumed (heh) that since it was supposed to be thermostatically controlled, it would just turn off and on altogether, not run the fan constantly. I guess perhaps that was the difference between that and the pricier model that I couldn't figure out what the difference was...

I already have 2 Rancos on hand, I had just thought that setting it at a 2 degree +/- span would give several minutes between cycles...

How heavy-duty of a timer do you use, Dan? Do you think that would be a more effective idea than running it thru the Ranco?

I can see the point about the ammonia too....I've been keeping it open, with an exhaust fan in the window and another oscillating fan circulating the air until the last few days when it has gotten too warm for that. There really was hardly any smell at all then. Keeping it closed up all of the time now, I really notice an increase in odor....my other half is going to kill me when I tell him that I think we need to put a hole in the brand new siding for an exhaust fan too.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
How heavy-duty of a timer do you use, Dan? Do you think that would be a more effective idea than running it thru the Ranco?
How many amps does your AC unit have? I bought the timer in WalMart nothing fancy, just to fit the needs of the AC unit. The 12-h cycle you can change according to the season. During summer turning it on and off at 10 am seems enough, there might be a few summer nights though where it may be worth to let it run for 1-2 hours longer.

Best

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
KJUN
Yep, mice breeding is strange. You want perfect insulation and no air flow because it saves on the AC running time. You want LOTS of ventilation because it cuts down on the ammonia levels. You end up insulating and then ventilating.....and running the AC more because you are pumping out the cold air.....lol. It's a catch-22, and you end up fionding the balance you can live with. Down here, it is hot enough so that we have to use AC every month of the year. Of course, you only need it on the hottest days in the winter, but it'll still get hot enough to kill a room full of rodents if it is sealed up without an AC running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
How many amps does your AC unit have? I bought the timer in WalMart nothing fancy, just to fit the needs of the AC unit. The 12-h cycle you can change according to the season. During summer turning it on and off at 10 am seems enough, there might be a few summer nights though where it may be worth to let it run for 1-2 hours longer.
What's the real point of the timer? If it is cool enough in the room to not need the AC, then it won't kick on if plugged into a Ranco or Johnson. The more they run (during the day - whether they are cooling or it is just the fan), the sooner the go out...so an on/off thermostat is really worth it's price tag. I can't see any real advantage to the timer, but you obviously do. I'm missing it - can you explain, please?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
dsirkle
On any appliance that has a relatively high amperage draw you are cautioned not to use an extension cord because the wire in an extension cord is thin and adding length will create heat and may either damage the appliance or start a fire. You can make your own extension cord with materials from Home Depot or somewhere using heavy gauge wire and you will have no problems.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!