"Hot" Females - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
"Hot" Females

Ok, this should make a good thread, lets talk about "hot" females. I'll post some info against this later tonight, just wanted to get the thread started early. Oh, and remember, anything is possible when your dealing with mother nature.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Storm55
I have a female blizzard that was temp sexed as a male. She is a holy terror. She's my only gecko (and the only one I have ever seen) that will consistently bite each and every time she is handled. She will not allow any other geckos near her and seems to have issues with territory. She's a classic case of a hot female. Then again, blizzards have a reputation of sometimes being pretty nasty. Who knows? LOL
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Monte
I have limited anecdotal experience . . .

. . . with a couple of hot females I kept. In each instance - they breed, but not the first year.

I always wondered if it took them that long to reglulate/stabilize whatever hormonal changes were taking place in their bodies. I'm sure some bodies has done the research . . .

Good subject, Justyn . . .

Old 01-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
Jackie, that's just the way usually blizzards are, evil! While "hot" females are said to be more aggressive, this is mainly towards a male trying to mate with them.

Monte, that what a paper by Crews and his colleagues said, that it generally takes two years for a "hot" female to mature. It was Crew that coined the term "hot' female in 1989 saying these females we unable to reproduce and where very aggressive towards males. Several years later though he published that this was incorrect, and "hot" females take longer to mature. Now remember that Crews females were incubated at a hot temp that only produces female, 94-95 degrees. He did lower the temp to 92 degrees a week prior to hatching to prevent the embryo from dying in the eggs. I know Kelli says she has a couple "hot" females, I wonder if this was caused by temperature or if perhaps they are sterile for other reasons?

Old 01-25-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
E2MacPets

Old 01-25-2004, 01:20 AM   #6
Intense Herpetoculture
Ok Steve, just wondering, but what are the pics of the blizzard for? I'm lost here.

Old 01-25-2004, 01:22 AM   #7
E2MacPets
Hot female (sold to me as temp sexed male), fertile in her first year. Tamest gecko I own.

Old 01-25-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
herpspaz
does a hot female refer to any female that was temp sexed to be male, or does it more refer to when the female is both temp sexed to be male, and very aggressive towards other leopards?

-karin

Old 01-25-2004, 01:56 AM   #9
E2MacPets
That's exactly the topic of discussion. What are the characteristics of a "hot female" if it exists at all.

So far the opinion is that it is an aggressive female gecko that was incubated at high temps and is slow to reach sexual maturity or possibly infertile.

My hot female is tame with humans, which is uncharacteristic of blizzards if not hot females. She is however very resistant to breeding attempts from male geckos, but she was successfully bred and produced fertile eggs last year (within the first 14 months of her life).

Old 01-25-2004, 03:58 AM   #10
DaveCable
Here is my angle on the topic:

I have one girl that I suspect to be ‘hot’, but the more I read it seems like it just might be the genes of the blizzard line. She is a het bizzard sold to me as an unproven female. Her name is bitie, because she got ahold of my finger the first time I held her. She is very aggressive to females and males, but is normally very tame around people. Last year I got her to breed with a male het. blizzard, after many painful (for the male) dates. She laid 6-7 clutches, all of the eggs where infertile.
My understanding of the hot female rumor, is that they are very aggressive towards males and females, and that they cannot produce fertile eggs. I’d really like to hear all your options on the topic.

Here is a picture of Bitie:
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!