Jerry Conway - Unethical Practices - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #101
Helenthereef
Actually I am one of the members of the Candoia website, (pacificisland boas) and I got to this site because someone had posted the link there. I followed it because I had a small email contact with Jerry last year, and I contributed because I had an experience that I thought may be relevant. Surely if no one can contribute any points that don't follow the main stream it isn't much of a discussion?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #102
GinoInDaBronx
'tis True

You are more than correct, Helen. You must understand that with the nature of this website we see some dubious persons. Thank you so much for qualifying that. And I wish you the absolute best in the new year.

Gino Beniquez (who wants to live vicariously through you in Fiji...)

Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #103
hurricanebama1
Throwing fuel on the fire

"i was planning on keeping the adult pair and a few babies .....but on tuesday i started to have my recurring kidney stone attacks....i may need an operation next week that will cost me $10,000....mind your own business....i dont need to explain anything to you.....he started this nonsense....now i need to defend myself to total strangers?....not gonna happen"

I actually called Jerry Conway about 2 weeks ago (before he listed anything on Kingsnake) because I am looking to purchase a couple of Solomons. When I talked to him he told me that he hated to get rid of the 2 snakes but he needed the money for WRIST SURGERY. hmmmmm I didnt buy them because to be honest, he was kind of pushy. He tried to get me to buy them without seeing them and pulled the old "there are alot of other people interested and if you buy them now, they are yours" car salesman routine. I am new here, but when I read that post of his about "Kidney problems" I had to post my interaction with him 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #104
Helenthereef
Thanks Gino

Hi Gino,

Thanks for the reply, my faith in democracy is restored! As I don't have anything else to contribute to this thread I shall go back to watching quietly, appreciating my luck in being able to get my Candoia naturally and not having to depend on suppliers and having the issues you guys face. Good luck!
Helen

Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #105
psilocybe
I had a deal with Jerry Conway a few years ago for a pair of his Isabel's...while I can't say the deal went "bad", I didn't quite get what we agreed upon.

I contacted Jerry in early January of 2005 about a pair of Isabel's from his latest birthing. He informed me that I was the first person to contact him, so I would be getting choice pick (though he would be the one doing the picking obviously). I had one request, and that was that the snakes were to be feeding on pinky mice. Baby Candoia are partial to frogs and small lizards in the wild, and appropriately sized food items were not easily available to me. Jerry assured me that it would be no problem.

He didn't want to ship in January because of the cold weather and the fact he doesn't like to use heat packs, so it was around late March or April before he shipped the snake. This was fine with me as I figured it would give him time to switch them over.

I got the snakes in April, and they looked great. I tried feeding them live pinkies a few days later to no avail. Long story short, after numerous attempts at feeding them rodents, it became clear these guys had absolutely no interest in anything mammalian. I contacted Conway, and he offered to sell me cricket frogs at $2 a piece, plus shipping (40 bucks). Fortunately, I found an add on KS from someone close to Conway who was selling them for 50 cents a piece.

I received the frogs, and after around a month, had 2 f/t pinky feeding Isabels.

I find it hard to believe that Conway, a self-described Candoia guru, couldn't succeed in switching a pair of boas in 3 months when I was able to do it in less than one using scenting. My guess is he never even tried. Had he told me he was unwilling to do this for me, I would have just requested some cricket frogs along with the snakes, instead of him trying to con me into buying some from him at an exorbitant price.

Regardless, Jerry had a pretty good reputation back then, and I didn't want to start a whole mess over it...but since he's apparently been doing some ethically questionable things as of late, I figured I'd share my experience with him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!