Bob Clark (Industry and community irresponsibility?) INQUIRY - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #31
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPaintball
Apologies
None necessary. Just stopping that ball before it gets a good head of steam. This subject is on top of proposed new regulation and tempers nationwide are running high. I have nothing against voicing opinions but lets not get to the point warnings are needed to do it.

I'm leaning with Bobby here. From my understanding the BOI is about business transactions and this thread will likely be moved elsewhere.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #32
Karma Kritters
That has got to be the worse venomous handling I have ever seen. I am truly appalled that people will now think that this kind of behaviour is the norm. With publicity like this we will loose all of our privileges to keep reptiles before we know it.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #33
ViperPaintball
Well I, for one, am appealing to them not to. This is a forum where folks, supposedly, come to find out about those they intend to spend money with. In the interest of "voting with one's dollars" a dollar spent with Bob, or anyone who endangers our hobby due to their own greed, irresponsibility, and desire for celebrity should be "voted" out.

If I had not heard of this, and I were here because I was looking to drop ten grand on a ball python, I would want to know whom I was sending that kind of money to if they were guilty of such recklessness.

If this is just about enforcement of rules then, by all means, move the thread. But isn't this thread a place to find out the values and ethics of the person you are considering doing business with? Do you not think that ethics are an important consideration? Do you feel his actions are ethical in any way?

As I've stated, let the moderators moderate. If you don't want to feed the thread don't post, but don't let your desire to enforce rules to the letter rob future customers of Mr Clark's from seeing what they are funding.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #34
richardduckworth
Quote:
Originally Posted by nora
Not always true. There have been a few documented cases where voided snakes (in which the surgery was "professionally" done) have regenerated their venom glands at some point in their life.

I cant remember where I saw the information but as soon as I find it I'll throw it up here.
that's propaganda. they've not proven that regeneration of the venom gland is possible, they've not proven that venom is necessary for digestion, they've not proven really anything that is used as anti-venomoid propaganda. that's another debate but no, there is no proof that regeneration is possible and i'm 100% positive about that. most of that nonsense came about to discredit raymond hoser more than to defend snakes from "mutilation". he's a polarizing figure who has had a ton of high profile people on his back over the years. he's also the "pioneer" of the surgery itself and offers tons of data to support his claims. like him or not, he's rather thorough.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #35
justinmorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPaintball
In his likely desire for more fame outside the high-end herp community, Bob Clark has, in my opinion, performed irresponsibly on at least two seperate occasions. While being presented as a "venomous snake expert" he and Jack Hanna have, in my opinion, helped to further the cause of those who feel that we, the public, have no business keeping venomous reptiles. If you believe that he is the expert he represented himself as, it seems apparent that even an "expert" cannot control such a dangerous animal. If you believe this, then how can a layman or amateur such as myself think they can do so.

This angers and frustrates me to no end, as I have made repeated trips to my state's capitol to defend the rights of herpers in my state, and present my case that we are responsible, educated, cautious, and posessing of great respect for these creatures. These sort of antics and half-assed behavior, combined with the misinformation that the Monocled cobra in the video is labelled as a "King Cobra" and that "one drop of venom will kill an elephant" only goes to show that these two are more interested in fame and sensationalism than responsibility to the community they represent. In the second video they even hand the hook to the TV host and let him hook the snake! Would YOU do that?

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...p/945157.phtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMpStPdQcJI

I feel that we, as a community, need to make a strong statement that this is unacceptable, and may just effect your business.

It was an act to get the crowd going. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think ANYONE who remotely deals with hots would consider giving a cobra, or any hot for that matter, that kind of freedom in a room FULL of people, unless it were a venomoid, and unless they knew what they were doing.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #36
LadyViper
Justin,

Honestly the viewers where not made up of only reptile people. Your comments sounds like your really trying to make light of this. Whats your point? Do you think this behavior from the "experts" should be allowed on TV, because you think everyone will believe it is fiction and nobody will pay serious attention?

This was live venomous snake handling (or atleast that was what was advertised) not some giant 20 ft boacobra city eating snake movie.....

It really does not matter what we know, it's the misinformation being spread from advertised "experts"...to the non-reptile uneducated public.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #37
KingBowser
I'd kinda like to know more about the comment made regarding Bob Clark's stock havng inbred problems and some kind of virus. I live about 20 minutes from Bob's facility and have visited once. I was very impressed by his inventory and he seems like a stand-up guy, though definitely a saleman. I've never bought a snake from him but I wouldn't think he'd be able to sell poor quality snakes for long. As far as the videos, I whole-heartedly agree that once again the public is completely misinformed about venmonous snakes and what keeping reptiles is all about.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #38
critical bill
This thread has no purpose being on the BOI.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #39
Classic Dum's
Quote:
I'd kinda like to know more about the comment made regarding Bob Clark's stock havng inbred problems and some kind of virus. I live about 20 minutes from Bob's facility and have visited once. I was very impressed by his inventory and he seems like a stand-up guy, though definitely a saleman. I've never bought a snake from him but I wouldn't think he'd be able to sell poor quality snakes for long. As far as the videos, I whole-heartedly agree that once again the public is completely misinformed about venmonous snakes and what keeping reptiles is all about.
reality when you handle the number of animals he does at some point your going to deal with mites, he probally had them once and from there the story has grown, everyone loves to bag on the guys on top just like this stupid ass thread, I mean seriously you got people or one person acting like Bob and hanna being a couple goofs is the end of the world yet yet the Feds are trying to end our world

This thread is a prime example of why this industry will NOT survive, the Feds trying to ad boas and pythons to the lacey act will END the industry as we know it but Bob and Hanna acting like a couple goofs of course is more important, theres simple to much of this kind of horse shit that goes on within this industry

Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #40
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Dum's
theres simple to much of this kind of horse shit that goes on within this industry
Watch the language please. You've already been warned about it in the past.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!