Bob Clark (Industry and community irresponsibility?) INQUIRY - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 AM   #71
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
As for Jack, I have always wondered if he even knows anything at all about animals at all, he does not seem to in all the shows I have seen him in.
Bobby,

Jack's an actor with a passion for animals. A combo that made him who he is. His lines are rehearsed. He wears makeup. He is advised about the animals he is presenting and talks about them from what he is told. A good deal of it is also improvising when questions come up that he is not prepared for. He is an actor.

Tell me you don't think there really is an Indian Jones hunting for artifacts out there with a cowboy hat and a bull whip.

Jesus H Christ.

Someone please tell me....am I on faunaclassifieds or in a mental institution under heavy medication?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 AM   #72
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Dum's
ok now I see for an extremly high price you guys are buying the sense of importance and self worth your not getting at home, you guys have to buy it hahahaha.................

its like that commercial on TV at the drive through about being fat at the fastfood place,

For $100 id like to buy some self esteem, I want to feel important, I want someone to respect me, id like to feel power over others and get even with ther world for beating me up as a child and making me feel small and most of all I want to feel big and torment others

LMAO thanks for the laughs, what a circus, good night
Apparently you are having a hard time comprehending Rich's previous warnings to you.

"That's enough, Jason. Stay on topic or move along, please."

Seems pretty straightforward to me. The antagonism stops here.

Any further degrading of moderators for enforcing the very basic rules of this forum will earn you a long vacation from here. As of now, you have three days.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 AM   #73
KelliH
It's all about the
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #74
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Rules for posting on the BOI:
Yeah and HELLO....the thread is titled as an INQUIRY.

The thread title doesn't say "Any INFO on Bob Clark?"

It questions his lack of responsibility to the community and the industry in an inquiry. Nothing in the thread title says anything about wanting "INFO" pertaining to him as in his business dealings with others being good or bad.

My opinion is that the chick was out to blast him and she got away with it on the BOI. Not the first time I've seen that happen.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #75
varnyard
Yea, OK Chuck, he looked like he had all kind of passion for that cobra. Actor for the money, sure, passion for animals, well that seems to be pushing it a bit, JMHO.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #76
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
It's all about the
I think you hit the nail right on the head!!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #77
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Dum's
LMAO thanks for the laughs, what a circus, good night
Have a nice vacation!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #78
richardduckworth
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical bill
Bobby,

Jack's an actor with a passion for animals. A combo that made him who he is. His lines are rehearsed. He wears makeup. He is advised about the animals he is presenting and talks about them from what he is told. A good deal of it is also improvising when questions come up that he is not prepared for. He is an actor.

Tell me you don't think there really is an Indian Jones hunting for artifacts out there with a cowboy hat and a bull whip.

Jesus H Christ.

Someone please tell me....am I on faunaclassifieds or in a mental institution under heavy medication?
he's sold to the public as a zoo owner/animal expert. what does that mean? it means he's able to say anything, fact or not, and people who don't know better (95% of the population when it comes to reptiles) will believe it and will be almost impossible to convince otherwise. that's a dangerous ability to abuse. in this maligned hobby, people of influence simply can't lie about "facts" on tv and can't portray these animals as "out of control" or "vicious" because it takes the hobby down another notch.

baseball will always be here. when they show a guy getting pegged in the head to be funny, it doesn't create anti-baseball legislation.

when they show a snake going out of control and biting an owner, that can spark a WHOLE state to ban these animals.

i'm sure you know the difference. i've always thought jack hannah was goofy and entertaining, but still, he crossed the line.

bottom line is that these "experts" didn't look to know what they were doing. if the #1 herpetologist on earth and one of the main on-air personalities are that challenged with venomous snakes, then the rest of us don't stand a chance, do we? that's the perception.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #79
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Um, so....I remember getting into this hobby as a kid. After learning about Bob Clark and the advancements he had made in herpetoculture and selective breeding accomplishments, he became infallible in my eyes. I have never bought from him, but a friend of mine told me about mites in 2 seperate Clark shipments he received. With so many animals, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but still stayed away.
And that's why I say that a quarantine in the same facilities/business/house where other reptiles are housed is as ridiculous as trying to kill viruses with a fly swap. Most if not all the "big breeders" have recent imports as well as "unique" animals purchased from other breeders at their places. At one point of another anyone can be fighting some mites if they haven't it means you haven't introduced animals in your collection or haven't been in this hobby for too long.

Questioning the ethics of Bob Clark because of this incident is going a little too far IMHO. It was not a good choice (and I stated before) but stating he is an unethical individual because of that is stretching it. From the video it's very clear that Bob and Hanna were synthesizing different stations. Trying to hang Bob Clark for this is undeserved. I never purchased a snake from him but I still think he is one of the best around. Unfortunate choice of events? Yes! Was he dragged into something he didn't know it will turn that way? Possibly. Unethical? Not from my point of view.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #80
MikeCurtin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
And that's why I say that a quarantine in the same facilities/business/house where other reptiles are housed is as ridiculous as trying to kill viruses with a fly swap. Most if not all the "big breeders" have recent imports as well as "unique" animals purchased from other breeders at their places. At one point of another anyone can be fighting some mites if they haven't it means you haven't introduced animals in your collection or haven't been in this hobby for too long.

Questioning the ethics of Bob Clark because of this incident is going a little too far IMHO. It was not a good choice (and I stated before) but stating he is an unethical individual because of that is stretching it. From the video it's very clear that Bob and Hanna were synthesizing different stations. Trying to hang Bob Clark for this is undeserved. I never purchased a snake from him but I still think he is one of the best around. Unfortunate choice of events? Yes! Was he dragged into something he didn't know it will turn that way? Possibly. Unethical? Not from my point of view.

Thanks
Unethical, maybe not, but irresponsible, yes. Bob didn't look as enthused about the whole thing as Jack did, but he should have been more careful about working with Jack (as has been stated, Jack don't know JACK! When it comes to some of the animals he presents), and he should have been honest about dealing with hot species (even venemoid ones). I was away from the hobby for a few years until about '04, but when did Bob Clark become a venomous snake expert? He was portrayed as an expert, but showed all the skills of a boy holding a corn snake, as was mentioned earlier.

As far as him being one of the best around, I would have to say that that statement may very soon read "was the best around". When I got started collecting over 15 years ago, it was mainly w/ the bigger species. I used the WWBCD method. I'd hate for anyone considering trying their hand at hots asking what Bob Clark would do in any situation.

My $.02

Mike Curtin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!