Michael Rehker ( BAD GUY ) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:21 PM   #1
rwells69
Thumbs down Michael Rehker ( BAD GUY )

I recently posted a paragragh on how well of a trade went with Micheal Rehker.
I must pot again.
The trade went as planned.
I was happy until the python he sent me died unexpectantly.
I was told this was a very tame white lipped python.
This snake bit over and over. ( Far from Tame ).
This was no big concern as I actually prefer them a little on the aggressive side for breeding.

I contacted Micheal about the snakes death, and he was very sorry this happed.
THATS ALL.
No concern about reimbursement or just pay shipping cost.

Please before questioning, I have had over 25 years experience in reptile care.
I know these are a touchy species with need for moderate to high humidity
My humidity and temperatures where perfect.

Micheal is a very nice guy, however, I will not and would not recommend doing business with him.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
joels417
Cause of death?

- Joel Smith

Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Wilomn
Do you have a necropsy report? How long did you have the snake before it died? A few more facts would be appreciated here.
Did the snake eat? Was it showing any signs of anything debilitating? Need a little more info please.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
rwells69
I did not get a necroscopy report.
I had the snake for 4 days.
When first removed, he was a bit cool, but nothing to be concerned with.
I put him in my hospital area away from my collection.
Temp. low side 77deg. high side 90deg. basking area 120 deg.
humidity 72%
Every 4 hours 30 seconds of misting.
Shop remains at 60 % humidity.

The enclosure was covered to prevent stress as I do with all new arrivals.

I usually wait about a week before attempting to feed, so I never got a chance to feed.
I did notice its belly had a very light tinge of blue and the way it kept biting me over and over, caught my curiousity.

Such a beautiful little guy with great coloring.

Rick

Old 12-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
Wilomn
What kind of guarentee did he give you with the snake? If it's just live arrival you may be out of luck. If you haven't frozen the snake it's time to get that necropsy done.

Sorry for your loss, they are sweet snakes.

Wes Pollock

Old 12-29-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
ChaosCat
I bought a male ball python from Michael and he's been fine since he got here. Maybe Michael got the white-lip from someone else and didn't know something was wrong with it?

Old 12-29-2003, 10:19 PM   #7
uf_g8or
Exclamation My side of the story...

Well, first off...Rick waited until 5 days after the snake already died to contact me. He had my phone number and email address and could have contacted me immediately but for some reason waited until 5 days past the snake's death.

As for the snake...I receieved it in a trade. I was told it was a LTC and was from Ben Siegel reptiles. The snake had been in captivity for apparently close to a year. And I NEVER once said the snake was tame. I told him more than once that the snake was aggressive and he said that was fine he liked his breeder snakes to be this way. I don't know of anyone who has ever had a tame WLP anyways. This is all the info I had on the snake and was exactly what I had told Rick before the trade even occurred.

I only guarantee live arrival since this is not my business and I do this as a hobby. Also, I do not know what type of conditions a person may have to keep an animal in anyways. Rick was completely satisfied with white lipped python and it arrived completely healthy, still warm and active. I even called Rick and talked to his wife to assure the snake had arrived safe and alive.

Now why Rick decides to post this claiming I am a bad guy, I don't know. I wish I had another snake to ship him or the money to refund him (it was a trade), but again this is a hobby and passion and not a business. I take extremely good care of my snakes and have NEVER had a complaint or an animal perish. I told him I was completely sorry for what had happened. He does not know the cause of death, nor do I so I don't feel it is my fault or responsibility.

And again, he claims the snake died after having him for 4 days, yet he waited until 5 days after death to contact me??? Then he comes on here to blast me for this. I personally don't know anyone who would guarantee his/her animal for more than 48 hours yet alone for 4 days (9 days total if you count the time until he contacted me).

I'm not going to sit here and bash Rick or get rude on this post. I assumed Rick and I made a fair trade that went well. What happened afterwards was a complete shock and I am sorry for that. I have no control over what happened to the snake once he received it.

Again, I have NEVER had an animal die that was shipped to someone who traded with me or bought from me, so take this complaint as you will. I know there are plenty of people on here who know the quality and health of my animals and will back me up 100%.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Michael Rehker

Old 12-29-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
Winter
WLP Background Info

First, let me say that I am sorry to hear about the loss of the animal. Additionally, let me say that I own a male White-lipped Python that was originally purchased from Ben Seigal Reptiles along with the deceased male before it was owned by private collectors.

I wanted to address the idea that there might have been something wrong with the male WLP before it was sent to Michael Rehker. I have purchased several animals from Ben Seigal over the past few years and to date, every single one has been healthy, all of which I still own.

Following the purchase of the WLP's from BSR, I received my pair from their next owner, John "Dusty" Self, and I believe that is where Mr. Rehker picked his male up, too. From my point of view, both of my animals (the female is originally from CFRB) arrived safely in a well-packed box looking robust and eager to explore. Since they have been here, both still seem to be in excellent health and I am very happy with the way the trade/sale went. In fact, I just checked on them and they both perked up in their enclosures when I walked into the room.

I can't speak for the health of the animals once they left the husbandry of Mr. Self, but I firmly believe that he stands behind his animals 100% and that the male WLP was healthy while in his care, like my pair continues to be.

Regards,

Lauren Rost

Old 01-07-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
Suncoast Herpetological
I am by no means an expert on this species but is a basking area of 120 degrees the norm for WLP's? I am not aware of any snake species that could even tolerate that temp let alone require it. Granted I work with colubrids at the moment but I have worked with boids before and have never heard of temps in that range ever being employed.

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #10
ldydrgn
I've never heard of a 120 basking area, either. They like daytime temps to be about 90 with a nighttime drop to about 70. They are prone to skin problems so a humid hide box is sometimes a better way to go about raising the humidity in an enclosure rather than giving them constantly wet substrate. They need a supply of fresh water as well.

The fact that a necropsy was not done immediately on the animal raises warning flags for me. Why was this not done?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!