Starting over: Righting the wrongs in Reptile mag article about PTS's?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
guitrldy
Righting the wrongs in Reptile mag article??

Ok, which one of us is going to write into Reptiles magazine to correct all the misinformation and missing information in that article!?!

"Eggs"... WTF?!?!?!?!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
hhmoore
Since you know what your concerns are - why don't you do it?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
wcreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitrldy
Ok, which one of us is going to write into Reptiles magazine to correct all the misinformation and missing information in that article!?!

"Eggs"... WTF?!?!?!?!
I think I'm missing something here, I read most of the articles but I don't know which article "that article!" might reference. A month, year and title would be most helpful for those of us not privy to your previous discussion about this article.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
hhmoore
There was a previous discussion? lol.
I still think she should write them herself since she clearly had major concerns about both the failure to include certain information & the accuracy of the information included.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
johelian
I think you guys need to lighten up, its just an opener for people to discuss the article - Im guessing its about monkey tailed skinks, a species that seem to be the most commonly discussed in this board, and so anyone that has anything to say would already know which article was being referred to.

Living in UK, I dont get the magazine and so cant discuss it further. Im guessing though that it mentions that monkey tailes are an egg-laying species..? Ive had more than one person confuse that in the past, I must say.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
hhmoore
Monkey tailed skinks may well be the most commonly discussed SKINK (though I don't know that for certain) - but there are others, and this is NOT strictly a skink forum, in case you hadn't noticed. If she was striving for "discussion" about the article, a simpler way to approach it would have been to identify the article in question, and either make a statement or ask a question. As it is, all she said was "which one of us is going to write into Reptiles magazine to correct all the misinformation and missing information in that article". I still cast my vote for her, since she is still the only one that really knows what her issue with the article is. (even if she had followed that statement up with some legitimate commentary on the so-called misinformation, she might have gotten some discussion out of it)

Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
LeviathanNI
Have to agree with Mr Moore here.. I have the magazine, and had no idea what article it wsa that she was talking about, and since that was the case, I also supported her righting the wrongs.

Just to go on a wee tangent here.. what mags do you guys reckon is the best of a bad lot? For example, I finf most of them to be reasonably accurate, and always on the edge with trying to keep the newbie informed, but also interesting the not so new.. some are better than others, what would be your favourite/recommended?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
guitrldy
Starting over: Righting the wrongs in Reptile mag article about PTS's??

I thought I'd start this one over and shut down that other thread.

The Dec 07 Reptiles magazine article just came out with a horrid article about Prehensile Tailed Skinks. The author didn't even do the simplest of google searches to find the recent information regarding the two subspecies Corucia zebrata zebrata and Cz alfredschmidti.

Also, a caption under a picture stated that a female PTS was guarding it's "EGGS"... a statement that is about as wrong as it gets.

The whole article was so bad and out-dated it makes me feel that from now on I should read their articles as entertainment, not as fact.

Unfortunate.

I'm certainly willing to write a letter, and I probably will. I just thought we might come together as a group and hit on some key items.

Thoughts (from PTS owner/breeders)?
Lisa

Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
guitrldy
Let's just shut this thread down...

... I've started another one with more info.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
guitrldy
bump.................................

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!