John Moore (MooreSnakes) BAD GUY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
pch101
Thumbs down John Moore (MooreSnakes) BAD GUY

At the Tucson show, John Moore tried to trade us two normal 05 boas as 66% possible het for Sunglows for our tame female GTP, and then thretened to KILL me, not once but, three times when we declined on the offer for obvious reasons and attempted to explain why. Here is the whole rundown.

My buddy, Tom and I decided to get a table at the Tucson Reptile Show. As many here know, I mostly work with Rosy Boas right now. However, I have worked with boas in the past, and I am helping Tom with a couple BCI morph projects as well. Tom is really excited about Boas and some of the interesting morphs that are available, so I have been helping him out with some of the basic genetics and how they work.

Anyway, Tom has a really nice 03 female GTP that he brought to the show. The really cool thing about her is that she is actually totally tame. He was hoping to sell her to possibly help fund one of his boa morph acquisitions. It was not easy to keep him behind the table, as he was like a kid in a candy story. Upon return from one of his shopping trips he asked me if I could look at something with him that did not make any sense to him. I asked him what it was, and he told me that John Moore from "Mooresnakes" was offering him 0.2 66% possible het for Sunglow Boas in partial trade for his GTP. I told tom it sounded great (almost too great) since he already had a pair, and he could either add them to the group or sell them. I asked Tom what was so confusing about the offer, and he told me that they looked like normal boas. He then asked me, "if they are het for Sunglow wouldn't they have to be hypos?" I had spent a great deal of time explaining genetics to Tom in the past, and I was very happy to see that he understood what I had taught him. I told him that he was correct in that they did have to be hypo to be het, or even possible het, for Sunglow. I explained to him that they were probably just ugly hypos, and that I would not mind checking them out for him.

I know John only through another mutual friend, and I have personally never had a problem with him (mostly because I just steer clear of him), but I have heard about many very bad encounters that other unfortunate souls have had with him. I had heard that John has an impulse control problem that when combined with his very large size and lack of brains, had landed him in the prison at least once for nearly beating a police officer to death. I had heard all these stories about him, and the last thing I wanted to do is to get this guy angry. So we go over there and Tom asks him if he still has those Boas. John then pulled two totally normal boas off of the back table, and I am thinking in my head "this is just great (sarcasm)"... At this point I was saying silent prayers for my safety, and then Tom handed them to me and said five unthinkable words. He said, "what do you think James?" At that point time came to a complete stop. After gathering my composure, I said, "well I am a little confused; these do not look like hypos to me." John then replied that they were not hypos and that they were 66% possible het for hypo and albino, and that they were from Shane Kinney. He then told me that I did not know $h!t about boas and I better shut my mouth. So at this point, I am thinking in my head, "that went well (sarcasm), time to smooth things over fast!" I explained to him that there must be a misunderstanding between him and Shane as these are not hypo, and that hypomelanism in Boa Constrictors is a co-dominant trait, meaning that the hets are the hypos, and therefore cannot be het, or even possible het, for Sunglow. He then informed me if I said another word he would kill me. At this point I should I mention that John is a 300 pound skin-headed tattooed convicted felon whose equally large partner is standing there shaking his head in disapproval with very conspicuous revolver holstered at his waist?

Anyway, things were not going well for me at that point. I tried telling him that I was doing him a favor by telling him this before he sold them to someone. I tried to explain the genetics to him in a adult manor in spite of the verbal abuse he continued to dish out. He then pulled out the receipt that he had from Shane which stated 0.2 66% possible het albino (sunglow siblings). He then said, How do you explain that? If they have sunglow siblings they have to be possible het for Sunglow!" I Immediately realized what Shane meant, and also how John misunderstood it. I told him that it was an easy mistake to make, and that these babies would have to be the result of a hypo het for albino x normal het for albino breeding. He then demanded that I shut my mouth (again), and informed me that I knew nothing of Boa genetics. He grabbed his phone, called Shane, and handed it to Tom who was still in total shock. Shane confirmed exactly what I had said, in that the breeding that produced these babies was indeed a hypo het for albino x normal het for albino pairing. John still did not understand, then asked me to come back with him behind his table, so I went back (against my better judgment). He then leaned right into my face and said, "you just blew my deal, if I ever see you anywhere near my table or anywhere else, I will kill you before you know what even happened."

I then said this to him, "John, I am not trying to cause any problem with you. I am trying very hard to be a nice guy here, but it is getting me nowhere. I did not blow your deal. You blew any chance of a possible deal, by misrepresenting the animals and by the way you are acting now. What do you want me to do? Do you expect me to lie to my friend and tell him to trade his GTP for these boas? I am not going to do that." John then reiterated his threat to kill me for the third time. I then politely asked him one last time if he wanted me to sit down with him and explain the genetics (or lack of) with these animals. He said, "no". Realizing, at that point, that it was time to get the hell out of there, I said, "then we are done", and stepped back out to a safer area outside of his booth (the whole time questioning myself for ever entering the Lion's den in the first place. John then actually asked Tom if he would do the deal, and Tom said he would pass and we left.

I take death treats very serious, so I immediately informed the show promoter what had just gone down, and I will most likely be filing a police report today. I would welcome any suggestions on how to handle this?

Old 09-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Wilomn
Watch your back and the Runt's as well.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Junkyard
Wow, you are making friends fast James. First make sure your address is no where to be found. A police report may be helpful to some degree, but he may never answer the door when the go over. What did the show promoter do?

Old 09-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
pch101
Thanks Wes, I will.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
pch101
"Wow, you are making friends fast James."

Tell me about it!

"First make sure your address is no where to be found."

Anyone's address can be found (some may be more difficult than others, but if someone wants your address bad enough, they will get it.

"A police report may be helpful to some degree, but he may never answer the door when the go over."

They do not have to visit him for me to file a report. I just think it should be on record.

"What did the show promoter do?"

He was not surprised and he was upset. Beyond that I do not know...

Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
Junkyard
Yeah, I know anyone can be found, I just don't know if your address is readily available on your website. We had to report a death threat given to us. The police went to the guys place after we filed the report, but he never answered.

Some guys are bullys and it seems that is more of what he may be trying to accomplish, is to scare you off. Unfortunately for him this thread puts his personality into perspective if he just runs around and threatens to kill everyone who disagrees with him. Maybe we should send him to Iraq, I am sure he would help out the troops a whole lot.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Wilomn
This isn't his first time on the BOI. He does seem to be more violent than previously. Was the guy with the gun master or slave? DO you suppose either of them are village people wannabes?

Old 09-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Bill_Leverton
James, To live in fear of your life or the life of your family is B.S. He sounds like more bark then bite."Hot Heads" of which I am one say stuff out of anger and don't follow through. But if you really worried about it file the report and on your way back home buy a tranquilizer gun.Its the only way to stop a charging bear. personally like I said it sounds like more bark then bite. He most likely past those "hets" off and forgot all about you JMHO

Old 09-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Bill_Leverton
Tranq gun was in humor

Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
pch101
"He most likely past those "hets" off and forgot all about you JMHO"

He did pass them off, but I pretty good reason to believe that he has not forgotten about me. He just read this thread about 45 minutes ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!