JENNIFER HARRISON GOOD GAL!!! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #51
Pink Lady Exotics
I e-mailed him yet again last night asking that very question...we'll see if I get a response. I asked why he released private client medical info to a stranger, thus allowing it to be posted on public forums, which violated the confidentiality agreement. I also asked why he was so quick to respond to a total stranger in detail but yet continues to hide information and avoid contact with Dr. Gordon and myself. Dr. Gordon's only theory is that Dr. Jacobsen is trying to reserve everything so that he gets the sole credit for this research. Other than that, he can't think of a single viable reason for his withholding of information from us and non-response to e-mails and phone calls.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #52
Cat_72
Exactly, Jen. As well-known as the man is, I find it hard to understand why he would take the risk to release confidential information to someone not even remotely involved.

I realize that there can often be "ego" involved regarding colleagues....but the rest of it makes no sense.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #53
Pink Lady Exotics
This is an Australian forum discussing OPMV -- I have copied and pasted a few posts that are related to what I have been saying:

( http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/g...n-44092/page-3 )

Quote:
HerpDoc
Regular Member Join Date: Dec-06

Biopsies on live animals may be useful but hard to achieve. Best area is lung tissue and this is technically difficult in snakes and obviously would result in a fair amount of trauma. Other issues with biopsy are that the virus maybe atypical in its behaviour, ie living in other tissue and may be missed by biopsy. In the United States can be diagnosed anti-mortem with a haemagglutintaion inhibition test that looks for antibodies. This however is not an indication of active infection but only means expose to the virus has occurred and a rise in antibody titre is required for diagnosis of active infection. Snakes take about 8 weeks to seroconvert so if they are tested during this time they may be falsely identified as negative.
As far as transmission is concerned the main mode is considered to be airbone with contaminated utensils and cage furniture also playing a significant role so the key to prevention is HYGIENE. Cant stress this enough, this also includes good quarantine protocols and controlling ectoparasites.

The bolded sentence is exactly why the negative test result from Dr. Jacobsen needs to be thrown out and another test done on new samples from the two snakes that were sick longer and survived. The females used were only sick for 3 weeks therefore most likely had no antibody development, thus the negative result.

Quote:
adbacus
Regular Member Join Date: Jul-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by xycom
Have any cases been found in wild specimens?
Would a good herp vet be able to organise tests on suspected animals?

1. Depending on who you talk to, the theorists out there believe that the disease originiated in Australia. I prefer to believe in conventional thinking that it was an introduced disease. I have not seen any papers or documents out there that suggest that it has managed to get out in the wild. There have been no studies I know of out there to suggest that it is out there. However, there has been a huge decline in the presence of herps and Australian Native Flora and fauna within the last 30 odd years.

2. Definitive tests on animals at this point in time involve in killing the animal. The only reliable method I have been told of diagnosis is through tissue histology. I have suggested to a few people that modified ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbed Assay) or PCR (polymerase Chain Reaction) tests may be beneficial and would not necessarily kill the animal. The issue with this is that the tests require specific keyed DNA for the causative agents which cause IBD and OPMV. The dna viral strands themselves require to be isolated. At this point, the actual identification of key strands themselves are not 100% and more research needs to be done.

I am still waiting for anyone who might be able to give more information on the use of Colombovac and it's efficacy and viability as it is an APMV (Avian Paramyxovirus) Vaccine.

This is a quote from another related website, where we got much of our info from:

( http://www.smuggled.com/OPMV17.htm )

Quote:
A hemagglutination-inhibition (HI) assay has been developed to measure antibody produced against OPMV (Jacobson et al., 1981), however in experiments, some snakes produced no antibodies some weeks after infection and others actually died before any antibodies appeared. Hence a negative HI assay cannot be taken to exclude the possibility an OPMV infection. It appears that in some snakes OPMV antibodies form about 8 weeks after infection.
This is the article about the successful use of Colombovac in stopping OPMV -- I e-mailed John months ago when we first started suspecting this virus, and he confirmed that his collection is still doing well and that he has not had an outbreak since:

( http://sidewinder78.tripod.com/TheSi...anch/id31.html )

Quote:
VIRUS INFECTION IN MY SNAKE COLLECTION
John Bakker

In October 1988 I bought a number of young snakes from a breeder at a snake show. Those were the only snakes I bought that day, other than that I inspected snakes for several people who wanted to buy them. I also sexed a few snakes by means of probing. After I got home I housed the young snakes separately in small boxes. All went well the first few months. The snakes ate well and grew rapidly, but early February 1989 I found a snake (Elaphe Helena) dead that I have had for a number of years.
In a period of about twelve hours this snake lost a lot of weight en was severely dehydrated. In the next two days four more snakes died. According to the autopsy report all the snakes died of pneumonia (a lot of mucus in the lungs). All the snakes were treated as a precautionary measure, but after a few days I found six snakes dead and six more the day after that. All the snakes that died were good eaters, were healthy but all died within a twelve hour period. They all lost a lot of weight all were dehydrated. All the snakes showed a peculiar behavior before they died. They appeared to be very edgy and aggressive and moved very fast within their enclosures. I took a snake to an animal hospital in Utrecht where Marja Kik examined it and a PARAMIXOS virus was found in the snakes brain. This virus is similar to the virus found in pigeons and chickens. I was advised to keep all my snakes in separate enclosures and to disinfect all materials, used for treatment, and myself with FORMALINE 4% after every visit to my snake room. Now all I could do was wait. According to the hospital there was no known treatment or medicine. Professor Zwart was in the U.S.A at this time attending a congress about this virus, so I could not consult with him about a possible treatment. In the next two weeks a large number of snakes died so I decided to consult Walter Getreuer of SERPO-ZOO in Delft. I then decided to inject the remainder of my snakes with COLOMBOVAC, 0.2 cc for each snake despite its size and weight. This medicine has been used by my father in the pigeon sport as a preventive treatment for young pigeons for many years. The price of one injection at that time was about HFL 1,35. After a week all my snakes looked and behaved normal and not a single snake died. In total I had lost 40 snakes to this virus. By September 1989 all my snakes were in perfect condition. To this day I still dont know who was responsible for bringing infected snakes to the show. I later heard that a few other snake keepers were hit by this virus. Snakes most perceptive to this virus are Lampropeltis, Boa, Python, Vipera, Crotalus and Asian Elaphe species. This virus hardly ever infects North American Elaphe species. I have no scientific proof that my treatment cured the snakes, but you dont have much choice when all your snakes are dying on you. Youll try anything to save your snakes and in my case it seemed to have worked. In the years after this period I have been approached by a number of snake keepers with the same problem (also through SERPO-ZOO). I advised them all to treat their snakes with COLOMBOVAC and I have had nothing but positive response. Even now in 2001 I have been asked to advise on a number of cases. Because new cases keep popping up in the literature (especially in the USA) about this virus in rattlesnake species, keeping this treatment in mind may be a good thing.

John Bakker

Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #54
romad119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
Dr. Gordon's only theory is that Dr. Jacobsen is trying to reserve everything so that he gets the sole credit for this research.
My train of thought led me there too.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #55
Pink Lady Exotics
I also wanted to repeat this YET AGAIN because some people just cannot seem to comprehend it, and are now apparently spreading these lies to the vet working on my research:

I HAVE NOT SOLD, TRADED, ADOPTED OUT, OR GIVEN AWAY A SINGLE ANIMAL SINCE SEPTEMBER 2007, BEFORE THE INFECTED CARRIER FROM WYATT EVER ARRIVED IN MY COLLECTION. NOTHING HAS LEFT MY POSESSION.

ALL 5 BABIES FROM THE MOJAVE CLUTCH ARE STILL HERE, THEY HAD ONLY BEEN RESERVED, NOT FULLY PURCHASED. I HAVE SINCE CANCELLED THESE RESERVATIONS.

I HAVE NOT RECIEVED A SINGLE DONATED ANIMAL FROM ANYONE WHATSOEVER, AND THEREFORE HAVE NOT SOLD, TRADED, ADOPTED OUT, OR GIVEN AWAY ANY DONATED ANIMALS.

In regard to what Dr. Jacobsen mentioned about not having evidence that my animals have OPMV -- by their symptoms and necropsy results compared to his own exact research and description of the virus, we sure do. He only has tissue samples in front of him that he did an unreliable test on -- he didn't witness the stages of disease they went through nor the treatments we tried and failed with. He also mentioned that he has no evidence that they have the other "new" virus he discussed either, so that one isn't any more positive.

The last time he spoke directly to me was many months ago -- back when this all first began and before he had ever recieved a single dead body or sample from us. He did mention there were other things that could have caused the lesions, but that was only a small fraction of what was discovered in the necropsies and histopathy, and he was only responding to what I had told him based on all I had found out by that time. Back then, he didn't advise using the vaccine -- because he had never heard of it or its successful uses in Europe, and didn't fully understand the whole picture of what was happening. Since he recieved the samples and began work on my case, he has not contacted me or spoken to me whatsoever. I was recieving all of my information from Dr. Gordon, which is where I got the information that the babies would be unaffected and that my adults could still be used for breeding. I had trusted that he was in communication with Dr. Jacobsen as he was the one sending the bodies/samples/paperwork to him. Until recently, I hadn't known that Dr. Jacobsen was not responding and withholding information.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #56
April Homich
I've been following this whole thing for a while, and just wanted to add my $0.02.

Out of the vets listed, Dr. Jacobson seems to be, far above and beyond, the most qualified in the area of reptile diseases and research. That being said, if there is ANY possibility of this being something new, you cannot rely on research done on a different disease (OPMV) to determine the course that this will take. You won't know how long it remains infectious in the environment, if and how long snakes can be carriers, mode of transmission, etc. Also, why would you think he would be withholding information on a known disease, if that's what this is? It's possible that he doesn't want to get brought into this whole internet discussion, or maybe he disagrees with the actions and recommendations of your current vet and wants to distance himself from the situation. Either way, people have brought up reasonable options. Just keep your collection (nothing coming in or leaving) and reevaluate in a few years.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #57
shrap
Quote:
I also wanted to repeat this YET AGAIN because some people just cannot seem to comprehend it, and are now apparently spreading these lies to the vet working on my research:

Hey Jen,

I just wanted to give you some support and say how truly sorry I am that you are still having to deal with this where your animals are concerned. As before, my heart truly goes out to you. I know this has to be very hard.

As far as the idiot humans who cant seem to stay out of your business, may they all go play in heavy traffic. Or at least go play russian roulette with a semi automatic. Bunch of ass clowns hiding behind their keyboards sticking their noses where it dont belong. Cowards I say. Dont let them get you down, Jen. They aint worth your time.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #58
dprince
Jen, I don't know you but I wanted to tell you that I am so sorry for your troubles with your collection. I wanted to say THANK YOU for your honesty and willingness to share about such a hard, delicate subject. It is a breath of fresh air in this often secretive hobby/business. May this year be much better for you.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #59
BalloonzForU
Quote:
I HAVE NOT SOLD, TRADED, ADOPTED OUT, OR GIVEN AWAY A SINGLE ANIMAL SINCE SEPTEMBER 2007, BEFORE THE INFECTED CARRIER FROM WYATT EVER ARRIVED IN MY COLLECTION. NOTHING HAS LEFT MY POSESSION.
Nope.... NOT NOW!!! You had three sold and your only reason for not completeing the sale is because you got called out on it.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #60
shrap
Speaking of ass clowns.......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!