Bearded Newbie Seeks Assistance And Guidance Part II - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
jffleck
Exclamation Bearded Newbie Seeks Assistance And Guidance Part II

Let me ask my question again.....just in case folks missed it........

I've done my home and footwork and are in the position to purchase a beardie.

Is there someone willing to recommend a reputable breeder any where in the continental U.S. that will ship overnight that will certify or provide health certificate from vet that the little wonder is Adenovirus and parasite free, PLEASE?

Kind of running into a brick wall here in assessing breeders to transact business with.

Thanks in advance and thanks for having this site available for those who are starting down this path.

Regards,

Jon

Old 12-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Cat_72
Jon, I truly admire all of the wonderful research that you have apparently done! If only all Beardie owners (all new pet owners, really) did as much research, there would be so many fewer animals ending up unwanted, sickly, and in rescues. Kudos to you!

That said, I honestly don't know if it would be possible to get anyone to state that the baby you are buying is truly AV free. The testing just isn't (I'm struggling for the right word here)....concrete enough, at this point IMO.

The best you can do, I think, is to find a breeder that can certify that their breeders have been tested, and have tested clean. That may not be 100% foolproof, but at least you know that you have the best chance possible of getting a clean, healthy baby....and the breeder is caring and conscientious enough to do the testing.

ALL good breeders ship overnight, and should do regular fecals on their breeding stock to make sure they are free of parasites.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello Jon,

I completely agree. While the fecal testing is not 100%, there are a few breeders right now that have gone through several testing rounds with their dragons & all of those results have come back negative.
Testing, & making the effort is a huge step in helping to change the standards of the reptile industry for the bearded dragon.
It is certainly better than not making an effort at all. I think if a cooperative effort takes place, that things will gradually change.

Tracie

Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
dragonss
www.dachiu.com
try this web site for a beardie i bought mine from them and there great people and my dragons fat and healthy and had him 4 months

Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
96dak
problem is that he wants to buy one that is AV free. the Dachiu's state on their website that they do not test for it in the hatchlings they sell. its no skin off my back as they will most likely be the source of my next dragon.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #6
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96dak
problem is that he wants to buy one that is AV free. the Dachiu's state on their website that they do not test for it in the hatchlings they sell. its no skin off my back as they will most likely be the source of my next dragon.
Correction....they do not test ANYTHING, breeders nor babies.

Quote:
**Our breeders and currently available dragons have not been tested for adenovirus.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
dragonss
hek i don't even know what adenovirus is.... Or how to test it.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Oh where to start. Adenovirus is a broad term, really. I can't describe it in a sentence other than it is a virus that is not curable, can be carried in the genes, & causes multiple symptoms due to immune system suppression.
There are alot of Adeno threads here on the boards you should go take a look at them.
I don't want to turn this into another Adeno thread though, sorry! There have been plenty of them.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!