Bad Guy Avangel Reptiles- parasitic reptiles, and more - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #81
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi23 View Post
I believe she is saying that Fed-Ex didn't have a properly labeled box to know anything was alive in there.

I know you know the proper way to ship. Styrofoam lined box. The outside should be labeled "Eublepharis Macularius" "2 leopard geckos" "Live Harmless Reptile".
At least have Live Harmless Reptile. The species and number can be on a paper inside (on top) or written outside. I have always written it outside.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #82
jusmebabee
I've bought from small breeders and well known sellers.
I've never received a box (approx 45) with species name written on it.
They have all said the same simple thing "Live Harmless Reptiles".
I think adding anything else is a bit over kill.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #83
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi23 View Post
At least have Live Harmless Reptile.
This. I caught a FedEx counter worker tossing my incoming snake shipment from one hand to the other as she brought it from the back area for me to pick up at the hub. She thought "Perishable" meant something like perishable food, and she had no idea there was a live animal in the box.

Then I told her it was a baby snake and she shrieked, ran to the back, and someone else had to check me out.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #84
favrielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmebabee View Post
I've bought from small breeders and well known sellers.
I've never received a box (approx 45) with species name written on it.
They have all said the same simple thing "Live Harmless Reptiles".
I think adding anything else is a bit over kill.
Actually, Reptiles Express includes it as part of their required shipping guidelines. Ship Your Reptiles requires you to label the box as "Live Harmless Reptile" and have the species info on paperwork inside the top flap.

Either way, just labelling the box as "Perishable" without any of the additional labelling is not acceptable.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #85
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrielle View Post
Actually, Reptiles Express includes it as part of their required shipping guidelines. Ship Your Reptiles requires you to label the box as "Live Harmless Reptile" and have the species info on paperwork inside the top flap.

Either way, just labelling the box as "Perishable" without any of the additional labelling is not acceptable.
Exactly. That is the way I was taught and most breeders did it that way 7-8 years ago. I still label the same way now as I did back then. I receive some with just live harmless reptile, but I still receive many with the full info on it. But with the Lacey Act, it must have Live Harmless Reptile on the outside. I prefer to stick to the old way with all the info.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #86
Kristi23
When I say most breeders, I mean leopard gecko breeders since that's mostly who I deal with.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #87
coolbord9
This thread dragged on, I just want to make sure I have the gist of it:
Stressed/thin(er than advertised) geckos have a pinworm outbreak, and Chaz comes out too aggressive after reading 4 pages of accusations of stolen valor?

Old 04-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #88
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbord9 View Post
Stressed/thin(er than advertised) geckos have a pinworm outbreak, and Chaz comes out too aggressive after reading 4 pages of accusations of stolen valor?

Geckos with worms and very thin/unhealthy. Improper shipping. Those are the main things I've seen so far.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #89
nikki9093
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbord9 View Post
You make it sound comical. Its really not. Its not just the pinworm issue, or the skinny issue, its the fact that its not just one animal. Thats a fluke. Its two or more of these animals that are ill, underweight, and definitely NOT the color they are suppose to be. Even after a shed. Its a shipping issue and they way they arrived. Granted, after the animal leaves the breeder, the shipping company does what it likes to the boxes, but the security and welfare within that box is totally on the shipper and not the company he or she uses to ship. AND, It may drag out even longer. I have two vids to post still.

The skinny I have actually was only stressed for two days. His lack of body fat made it necessary to hand feed him slurry so regain some type of weight as soon as he could. He was not eating, but did when presented with the slurry. It helped him a lot. That was last week. As of today, well, yesterday, he and the wormy female have eaten some dubia, but nothing else. The other two bigger ones, well, the male has eaten, but only a couple dubia. The other bigger female, nothing. No fecal that was usable has come from the bigger leos as of yet. Its a waiting game for test results and poop.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #90
coolbord9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki9093 View Post
The skinny I have actually was only stressed for two days. His lack of body fat made it necessary to hand feed him slurry so regain some type of weight as soon as he could.
You started hand feeding this animal within 2 days of arrival?

How many of these geckos are wild caught? How many of the geckos that look bad are wild caught? I apologize if it was earlier in the thread I must have missed it.

I am sorry that you feel that I am laughing about the health/wellbeing of your geckos, this is certainly not the case. I also obviously don't condone knowingly selling animals that are not in perfect health. I am not trying to criticize you, I am trying to understand the situation to decide where my business does and does not go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
leopard gecko, parasites