Vivaria/Christian Smith bad guy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
GaiasPriestess
Thumbs down Vivaria/Christian Smith bad guy

I was really interested in this pair of ball pythons that Christian Smith had in the kingsnake classifieds. So I wrote him and email asking about them, and he wrote me back a couple days later. I then wrote him a second email with more questions, and he didn't write back for a week. When he did write back, he said that they had been sold. It just makes me mad, because I know that if I had someone interested in one of my snakes, I wouldn't go sell it to someone else unless they definitely couldn't get it... and I told him I was most likely going to get them!! Sorry, he just rubbed me the wrong way. Just a heads up.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
gila7150
I understand that you're dissapointed but I'm not sure this makes him a bad guy. Keep in mind that a lot of people have been out of town for the holidays this past week and may not have been able to immediately answer an email. If you were still thinking about it and someone else was ready to send money you can't really blame the guy. I guess it would have been nice for him to get back to you and tell you he had someone who was ready to buy if you hadn't made a decision yet but I don't feel like he was obligated to do this.

Sorry you missed out on some snakes you were interested in but sometimes you have to act fast when you see something you're really interested in. There are just as many buyers who would have told him they were interested and then bought from someone else without letting him know.
Chris Raden

Old 01-01-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
ms_terese
Heather,

I can understand your frustration, but keep in mind that someone may have sent money to pay for the snakes between your first and second email. Also, there is a possibility that there was a delay in his receipt of your emails. I doubt that would account for a week's time, but it could have delayed it enough that he had another buyer before receiving it.

On another note, I've had people tell me that they're "definitely" buying something, and they've sent a deposit, and so on and on and on for a month and never seen anything come through. Many sellers have gotten burned out on buyers that continually lead them on and don't follow up, and have taken a "first $$ in my hand takes the animal" stance. While many sellers will try their best to work with someone interested in their animals, it's understandable how some sellers have decided to not extend that courtesy.

I'll agree that making someone wait more than 24 hours for a reply is generally bad business, but I don't think that is justification for writing him off for all time.

I hope you give Vivaria/Christian Smith another chance before deciding he's a bad guy.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:43 PM   #4
DarksideBoas
not sure

Not too sure why you put his name on here and gave him a thumbs down....you emailed him, and he replied, then you emailed him with more questions and in that time he sold them...you didnt give him a deposit to hold them did you?? if you ask me, its unfortunate that you were the one to be able to purchase them (sounds like you were all set to get them), but if you didnt lay any cash down, i dont see how you could be upset...let alone post his name in a negative light....doesnt seem like he tried to mess with you or screw you around....so why the negative thread??

Old 01-01-2003, 11:49 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Heather,

You probably feel bad about the whole deal but I don't think you can blame him for having sold the pythons. You said you had exchanged e-mails a couple of times and told him you "most likely were going to get them". That was not a definite yes, and if someone else sent the money in the meantime I don't see why you think he wronged you. There are several posts by herp dealers in this site that have clearly stated that unless the snake is paid for it is still for sale.

Best regards.

Old 01-02-2003, 12:30 AM   #6
GaiasPriestess
I'm just very frustrated, and I've never ordered a snake on the internet. I was going to ask him how to put down a deposit as soon as he emailed me back, because his site contains no info on that. I just think it was a really bad situation. Notice that in my original post I did not post any opinions (except in my title, but I thought that's what you are supposed to do), and I also did not say I would never do business with him. Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone looking to buy from him since no one has posted about him yet.

Old 01-02-2003, 12:42 AM   #7
dwedeking
Heather,

Welcome to the BOI. Normally a "bad guy" label is reserved for those that have stolen, misrepresented etc on a level greater than what happened here.

This time of year communication can be hard because people are away from their computers (traveling) and schedules are hectic. It bites that things didn't work out for you but sometimes that's just the way things work. I've sold animals online in a number of hours, so sometimes you'll miss those golden opportunities if you don't commit. It's best to miss an opportunity or two though instead of being burned by jumping too quickly.

Old 01-02-2003, 01:53 AM   #8
jusmebabe
I'm sure although this is the most ridicules post in a long 2 days 2 people come to mind who would defend it somehow someway. "Most likely going to get them" means nothing in business.
Your post says it all. Calling someone a bad guy for selling snakes that were never promised to you. That's a joke in itself.. He took a week to get back to you? So what.. Move on if he response time is not what you like. label a person bad because you are mad is pitiful at best. He's probably glad he didn't deal with you
as you more than likely to be a big headache.. "Give people a heads up?" About what? That buyers can cry about idiotic things and call them bad at a whim because they didn't get the reptiles they want... Maybe you should spend some time reading real bad guy posts here and see how idiotic your post sounds..

Old 01-02-2003, 05:53 AM   #9
DarksideBoas
the point

I'm sure she gets the point there joel...

Old 01-02-2003, 09:50 AM   #10
GaiasPriestess
Joel, it sounds to me like someone else here had a bad day and decided to take it out on the forum. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't respond to any more of my posts if you're going to be so negative. I appreciate contructive criticism... that was FAR from constructive. Have a great life trying to make yourself feel more superior than everyone around you. Good day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!