Boa feeding frequency to add weight - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Lucille
Boa feeding frequency to add weight

I have a new Argentine boa around 6 1/2 feet that was given to me along with a ball python. It seems a bit thin. It took 2 soft furred rats last night; I am going to order rodents from Big Cheese because I think I will need more than my colony provides.
Have you ever come across a situation where you wanted to add weight to an adult boa, and if so, how frequently did you offer food?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
kmurphy
Lucille, I feed my adult Peruvians about every two weeks. A couple of jumbo rats at each feeding. I feed my 2 yr old Nics about every 10 days. With both I'd rather be few days late then early.

If it only "seems a bit thin" then I don't think I would do anything different. Personally I'd rather have a "bit thin" boa than a fat one.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Lucille, I feed my adult Peruvians about every two weeks. A couple of jumbo rats at each feeding. I feed my 2 yr old Nics about every 10 days. With both I'd rather be few days late then early.

If it only "seems a bit thin" then I don't think I would do anything different. Personally I'd rather have a "bit thin" boa than a fat one.
Lucille,

I agree with Kevin. One other thing you may consider is to do a fecal for parasites. The first thing to rule out is if she is thin due to reduced feed intake and/or malabsorption due to parasites. If by any chance she has a heavy load of parasites it would not matter very much with how much frequency or how much you feed. Adult Argentines can easily take care of a small rabbit every two weeks, almost equivalent to 4 large rats. Otherwise I would probably feed her a rat a week.

Regards.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Boas do alot better on a really reserved feeding regimen ive come to learn.

Ive been told that Overfeeding can cause alot more harm than good, and that extra fat can actually cause alot of damage.

i think you should Stick to feeding every two weeks, or even less for an adult. They dont need much food to stay healthy!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
It's much better to increase size of prey, rather than frequency of feedings. Your new Boa will love you longer for it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!