Wild Fiji Boas photos posted - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
Helenthereef
My young Candoia bibroni bibroni certainly display changing colours apparantly due to time of day or mood...

The first two used both to be pink in the morning and brown later in the day, but gradually settled into usually distinct preferences. One of them, (who has grown to be the larger) staying mostly pink, the other, smaller, usually darker brown. Friends of mine have a pair from another litter displaying the exact same pattern of size and colouration.

Now I have another, possibly from thie same litter (the owner is not certain as this one was lost in the adults' tank where two females gave birth, and only discovered some time later). This one seems to prefer to be grey. However, al three can become indistinguishably brown/pink at times, usually when sleeping.

Adults I have seen do not appear to change this dramatically. Maybe they settle into a fixed pattern after youthful experimentation? In particular the two black individuals I have seen appear to be permanently and deeply black with red belly. I haven't seen any black babies so far, but have only seen two litters from brown / grey females (who had 20 - 30 pups each, of the brown / grey colouration described above)

It's interesting. I'm going to see if we can get the black mated and maybe we'll be able to asnwer this in the future. Any 'How to" breeding advice welcomed.
Thanks,
Helen

Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #22
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef
Any 'How to" breeding advice welcomed.
Boas do not have pups. That's a start. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Only advice i can give is keep them as close to their natural environment as you can, (which shouldn't be too hard given your location). It's my belief that snakes will do what snakes will do when you put them together. I don't buy into all the settings changes, and feeding changes that many seem to think necessary to succeed.

But I'm also rather new to actually letting my snakes breed, so I am sure I have a lot to learn. Candoia are completely outside My expertise anyway. LOL

Good luck!
Rick

Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #23
Helenthereef
OK what DO they have? Goslings? I am an ignormaus in the terminology - I claim isolation!

What I read on Candoia breeding was that it requires quite a lot of snakes - the males seem to form a bundle around the female and egg each other on... or maybe that's an effect not a cause

So, snake bundle required or just some intimate one-on-one action?

Cheers,
Helen

Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #24
crotalusadamanteus
Neonates is the term I use. Don't really know if there is a more technical term for baby Boas or not.

That Boa bundling sounds interesting. I've heard of Garter snakes doing this too. By the hundreds in some places.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
Helenthereef
Squirmy!
Helen

Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #26
Metachrosis
SNAKES WILL DO WHAT SNAKE WILL DO !!
(my favorite saying btw)

People have been conditioned to believe there is some kind of trick(art) to breeding snakes.
Snakes have been reproducing since no telling when and some clowns think they have the exclusive method to this natural occurrence.

Snakes have always adapted with without human interference,why does such a simplistic thing evade logical thought ?

1 boy snake + 1 girl snake = baby snakes !
Its really that simple.......
Boa can and will reproduce healthy litters without basking spots,brumation and any other trendy human induced condition to/of their captive environment.

Just let the Boa handle all the scientific stuff,they are in fact the real experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Boas do not have pups. That's a start. (sorry, couldn't resist )

Only advice i can give is keep them as close to their natural environment as you can, (which shouldn't be too hard given your location). It's my belief that snakes will do what snakes will do when you put them together. I don't buy into all the settings changes, and feeding changes that many seem to think necessary to succeed.

But I'm also rather new to actually letting my snakes breed, so I am sure I have a lot to learn. Candoia are completely outside My expertise anyway. LOL

Good luck!
Rick

Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #27
ravensgait
How about babies lol works for everything else..

Helen, the animal I posted above is about as nice a one as I've seen. Most are colored like the youngsters you posted though some will have stripes.

Breeding the Solomons I just bred them in 1.2 groups, they were not hard to breed just feeding the babies was difficult as Solomons are rather small as adults and the babies are tiny.
Here's one a few weeks old. Randy

Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #28
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis
SNAKES WILL DO WHAT SNAKE WILL DO !!
(my favorite saying btw)

Yup! Same with cats and dogs. Hell, stick me in a cage with a beautiful woman and see what I try and do.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #29
Metachrosis
yeah no doubt.

Point is snakes are able to work around human intervetion(captivity) and continue doing what snakes do.
They dont need a $300 cage w/ $300 Temp regulator and pristene aspen sub,muchless filtered water

Granted there is nothing wrong with a Honeymoon Suite from AP
They dont need basking spots for digestion or even gestation(providing ambiant temps are constantly above 80-85*F) many snake forms thrive under conservitive husbandry because they dont have the natural extremes to deal with.

Therefore people shouldnt fear what they obvioulsy dont control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Yup! Same with cats and dogs. Hell, stick me in a cage with a beautiful woman and see what I try and do.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #30
Helenthereef
Great, thanks for the encouragement - Keeping It Simple is always good news as far as I'm concerned.

OK, I'm going to give this a go and get the black female into a tank with the grey male and see whether we get (any) babies that are black, brown or pink with blue spots. (That one might be worth having!)

Obviously this will take a while - if we get any results I'll post again.

Cheers,
Helen

PS - I got my fist two "neonates" when they were very tiny as seen in Randy's pic, luckily we have a full range of geckos running around and we got them onto newly hatched ones immediately. One way is putting gecko eggs into the tank and letting them hatch there - a bit hard on the geckos who don't get much of a day in the sun., but a great source of perfectly sized snacks for hatchling boas...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!