Michigan's Right to Farm - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
Michigan's Right to Farm

Michigan residents lose 'right to farm' in backyards

http://www.sott.net/article/278596-M...m-in-backyards
Quote:
Property rights took a hit this week when the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development voted to to take away protections for backyard farmers statewide - which will result in many small farms being shut down.

Backyard and urban farms were previously protected by Michigan's Right to Farm Act. The Act stated that local ordinances could not trump the state's Generally Accepted Agriculture Management Practices (GAAMP). After the rule change, however, these protections no longer apply to many homeowners who keep small numbers of livestock.

Lands that are located within 1/8 mile proximity to 13 neighboring homes, or that are 250-feet away from just one neighboring home, will no longer receive protection of the Right to Farm Act. The regulatory mess is going to shut down many small farms completely, and leave many others with large sections of property that is prohibited for farm use.

Backyard farmers who raise their own chickens, goats, pigs, and honey may have to give up their operations and go back to shopping for mass produced meats at the supermarket.

One small farmer, Michelle Regalado Deatrick, told MLive that half of her 80-acre farm may be zoned out of use, as it falls into "Category 3," which is described as "generally not suitable for livestock production facilities."

Kim White, who raises chickens and rabbits, said, "They don't want us little guys feeding ourselves. They want us to go all to the big farms. They want to do away with small farms and I believe that is what's motivating it."

This movement shut down small farmers is a boon for large industrial farms, which will benefit from the lack of competition. Sustaining one's family with homegrown food is a basic right; destroying it makes everyone more dependent on large, politically-connected corporations.

On principle, every American should be concerned about the continued destruction of property rights. When a "property owner" must pay the government annual duties and ask for permission do do basic things, it is apparent that the only real entity that may every actually own any land is the government.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
I have to say,I'm ok with some of the new laws.
If I lived in town and a new neighbor bought the house next to me and raised chickens and roosters,I'd be shooting those rooster daily. And than it's an on going issue with owners of those chickens.

But for the lady with 80 acres,different story. Her acres are more than 1/8th mile. I think they took it a bit far.

And moving is always an option . Farming live stock should be done in certain areas. But if they have been farming there prior,they should keep farming as long as it isn't in town .

Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
bcr229
The one I don't get is the ban on honeybees as they're pretty benign. My mom had two hives in her back yard, 1/2 acre in suburbia, without any issues.

The wasps and yellow jackets are worse, those little SOB's will chase you!

I also note rabbits didn't make the list, probably because they are classified as pets. Rabbit ain't bad eating.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
WebSlave
Man, I dunno, but it seems like the problem runs much deeper than this.

Point blank: The less food we CAN produce ourselves, at any level, the more food we will HAVE to import. So who is the ultimate beneficiary of such policies? Like everything else, follow the money trail.

Anyone else becoming concerned about how much of our food supply is actually coming out of China lately? Seriously, our government claims that we NEED to have ethanol polluting our gasoline to try to lessen our dependency on foreign oil while on the other hand they are promoting policies making us more and more dependent on foreign food. Does that make any sense? Well, yeah, I guess it does when you factor in the fact that China basically owns our government. The USA would be bankrupt without those Chinese loans, now wouldn't it? Try to tell me that this fact doesn't influence policy a LOT....

We just picked up a half dozen fruit cups at the grocery store made by Dole. While putting them into the cupboard Connie happened to notice that they were actually made in China. I want her to take them back to the store and tell them WHY we are returning them, to make a point, but she doesn't want to bother with it. She'll either throw them away or give them to someone who doesn't care where they were made. So basically, you HAVE to read the labels on everything you buy. If it doesn't say where it was made or produced, then just assume China. Sorry, but I may very well tolerate using tools and appliances made in China, but damned if I will knowingly eat any foodstuffs coming from there.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
allreptiles1966
I'm for growing all our own food. Fruit and veggies in town is a little different than chickens and pigs. And as far as where our food comes from,I care. We grow our own fruit and veggies right here in the city. I grew a patch of corn ( 10' x 15' ) right in my front yard. Would I raise live stock with neighbors who are close ? No. I have respect enough to not make them go through the noise,smell,possible rodents coming for free feed,possible disease. These are all things for rural living and I would be upset also.

My cars,guns,clothes and wife are all American.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
WebSlave
Mark my words, sometime in the future, anything marked as "MADE IN AMERICA" will be viewed as valuable collectibles, as products manufactured in a once great country.

And collectors will NOT be paying for them with US dollars.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Mark my words, sometime in the future, anything marked as "MADE IN AMERICA" will be viewed as valuable collectibles, as products manufactured in a once great country.

And collectors will NOT be paying for them with US dollars.
Then if not our cash,gold will do.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
WebSlave
I suspect that there is very little, if any, gold bullion left in the USA.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
If I lived in town and a new neighbor bought the house next to me and raised chickens and roosters,I'd be shooting those rooster daily. And than it's an on going issue with owners of those chickens.
I think you have summarized the conflict in just a few sentences. The Right To Farm Act protected farmers when people moved to the country, bought a home right next to a farm, and all of a sudden found out that farm animals can make noise and some of them can smell. They 'came to the nuisance' and so were out of luck with their complaints; and this was codified with the Farm Act.

But when suburban farmers start up a farm, the residents in the area were already there, they didn't 'come to the nuisance', and some of them don't want to be downwind from a pig sty.

It is in my opinion unfortunate that these conflicts were settled by government instead of efforts for the neighbors to come to an understanding.
I am very much for families being able to grow produce and raise food. For one thing, we all gain when that happens. Those who are poor can grow and raise some of their food, and we can all have less tax dollars pay for food assistance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!