Beginner - Need viv help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Lat41n
Beginner - Need viv help

Hello.

I am getting my first Ball Python the weekend of Thanksgiving and I want my vivarium all set up and regulated before then. I was told I need a 20 gal tank with an escape-proof top, an under tank heater, a water bowl, and a hiding box.

1) Is there anything else I need?

2) What brand of heater is good (or bad)?

3) Do you have any basic recommendations about the setup that you can share BEFORE I make any mistakes??

Thank you very much in advance!

Jonathan

Old 11-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Leighanne
A few things you forgot...

Not to sound like a smart butt but you asked so heres what I know. Ok, it needs two hides, one on the cool end and one on the warm end so it can regulate its own temperatures without sacrificing its security. You need a large water dish (large enough for it to submerse itself in to soak). The water dish is great for humidity and put it on the cool end because you don't want boiled Snake. I know I don't eat Snake. LOL

There are three devices you need that are a MUST. Thermostat, Thermometer, and Heat. Heres what I know about Thermostats due to all the extensive research I myself just had to due. Stay AWAY from the ESUs. Herpstats and Rancos, and Johnsons are good ones, and then theres the Zoomed Thermostats. Zoomeds are less reliable but also cheap. Cheapest I've seen is $30.00. They are also not digital, and no nightdrops. They are ok though, you can always update later. I bought one because they are cheap and main reason being because I don't have a car and check on my BP like 3 or 4 times a day, so there was less need for me to worry about it since I am home. If your not home as much though I'd invest in a different Thermostat. They can go as high as $200 some dollars and Johnsons and Rancos can range from $60.00 to $70.00. mgreptiles.com has Thermos and he takes payments.

The Thermometer is a lifesaver and definitely a must. They sell a good digital one called Acu Rite at Lowes hardware store for $13.00. It won't read the humidity right unless you put the whole unit in the tank, also tape the probe down to the newspaper under the hot spot and hide. If your using newspaper thats what I use. NEVER use Cedar or Pine. Coconut Mulch and newspaper are most common with BPs though. As for heating pads the most popular one is Zoomed and there good ones. I myself don't know of any bad ones, but other people should chime in on this thread. I keep my BP in a rubbermaid because they are AWESOME for humidity but the way I hear things is that people who keep their BPs in a glass tank do good with a heat mat and a light. Well, thats all I can think of for now and if I missed anything like I said other people can chime in here. Hope all goes well with your new addition.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat41n
Hello.

I am getting my first Ball Python the weekend of Thanksgiving and I want my vivarium all set up and regulated before then. I was told I need a 20 gal tank with an escape-proof top, an under tank heater, a water bowl, and a hiding box.

1) Is there anything else I need?

2) What brand of heater is good (or bad)?

3) Do you have any basic recommendations about the setup that you can share BEFORE I make any mistakes??

Thank you very much in advance!

Jonathan
Jonathan,

First off, welcome to the fold!!

1) That sounds like a good standard setup. For bedding for that, I would use aspen or coconut bark.. I don't like the bark as much, but aspen is somewhat harder to come by. I would also provide a sterile branch for the snake to rub against (and to make your tank pretty!) during the shedding process. You may want to provide two hide boxes, one on the warm side, one on the cool. A thermostat is also important to regulate the temperature of the heat source.

2) NO HEAT ROCKS, and while you are at it NO CEDAR BEDDING. Heat rocks are bad heat dispersal units and can burn your snake. Cedar and Pine are both toxic to a snake (more cedar than pine). Stay away from those...

3) Make sure your tank is a sliding screen top. This will prevent escapes versus the tanks with the overlaying screen top which is easy to push out of. Don't expect your snake to come out and play for a while, since it will be adjusting to the new environment. Also, if you want, purchase a feeder tank to feed the snake in outside of its normal domicile.

IT'S FUN!!! Enjoy!!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
Lat41n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
[color=DarkGreen]

There are three devices you need that are a MUST. Thermostat, Thermometer, and Heat. Heres what I know about Thermostats due to all the extensive research I myself just had to due. Stay AWAY from the ESUs. Herpstats and Rancos, and Johnsons are good ones, and then theres the Zoomed Thermostats. Zoomeds are less reliable but also cheap. Cheapest I've seen is $30.00. They are also not digital, and no nightdrops. They are ok though, you can always update later. I bought one because they are cheap and main reason being because I don't have a car and check on my BP like 3 or 4 times a day, so there was less need for me to worry about it since I am home. If your not home as much though I'd invest in a different Thermostat.

The Thermometer is a lifesaver and definitely a must. They sell a good digital one called Acu Rite at Lowes hardware store for $13.00. As for heating pads the most popular one is Zoomed and there good ones. I myself don't know of any bad ones, but other people should chime in on this thread. COLOR]
I am not home during the day, but I am home evenings and nights. If I get the Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat and the Zoo Med Heat Pad, what will I have to do? By this, I mean, do I do anything at nighttime (since there is no nightdrop?) Will these produce the proper temps with a gradient (for hot side/cool side)? I have a handheld temp gun (I use it for my 3 bearded dragons) to check things with.

Jonathan

Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
tstrenuous10
With the zoomed you plug in the heat pad (under tank heater) and the light (CERAMIC heat emmiter) into one unit.

That one unit is plugged into the wall and gives everything power. It has a high to low knob you turn to adjust how long the heat pad/light are on to raise the temps when it gets too cool and turns them off when it is too hot. It has a long corded probe that you put on the hot side under your substrate. It also has velcro on it if you want to stick it to your tank

I use the zoomed bark from Petco for my snake but I might switch to newspaper or aspen next time.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
Leighanne
Exactly what she said with the Zoomed! I don't have handheld guns yet but I like my 13.00 Thermometer. I just pop the lid and read her temps. I use all the Zoomed stuff and so far it works pretty good. Some people are against them but there are still lots of people that use them. I realized that most of the people that were telling me to get Rancos (had more money) and are breeders or have bigger collections. If I was using it for an incubator or more heating devices, or for a whole rack system I wouldn't use the Zoomed but for one Snake its different. I'm just glad Lickity has what she needs. Updates can always be made, I mean your caring for it for 20 plus years. Just do your Research and buy your stuff. I would set it all up and make sure your heat and humidity are good before you put her in. If you have any other questions about your set up and when you get her just post them and we will help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!