Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma...right down the road - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
ms_terese
Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma...right down the road

My husband made a magnificent collection of this guy (girl?) earlier tonight. Will take more pics tomorrow after he's settled down, but he's one of the biggest I've seen down here in this area.

Gorgeous animal!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Darin Chappell
Great find guys!!!

How is it's temperment? I've seen umpteen reams of research that say all of the old stories about cottonmouths are just myth, but there are still those few nasty enough to have gotten the myth ball rolling! I'd really like to see him/her sometime!

Talk to you all later --

Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
ms_terese
Can't say for sure yet, Darin. Not many wild caughts are very calm when you first scoop them out of the water, so we're going to let him settle down for a day or two.

As far as the myths go......well, I've lived in Missouri long enough, and encountered enough cottonmouths to give some validity to their reputation. While I'm sure that most of them are as docile and shy as any other snake you come across, I've seen first hand some truly assertive/aggressive behavior. I suspect they may be more territorial than other snakes, if anything.

Will keep you posted.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
ms_terese
I stand corrected

Darin,

Well, in the time he's been here (he's being released this evening) he's been a perfect gentleman. Quite docile and non-aggressive, even when mucking with his enclosure.

We've gotten plenty of pictures, am posting one more to show the gorgeous face, and then he goes back to his lake :-)
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
BallPythonLuvin
thats a beautiful snake but i wouldnt take the chance on pickin up wild snakes....its cool that u do but wait til you get bit and pass out like i did a year ago

Old 10-14-2004, 02:36 AM   #6
Stevefromsd
Been there done that. Had 20? Southern Pacific rattlers over the years and some were flat out docile. Got bit by a baby eventually. Getting bit isn't worth it. Costs serious $$$ to treat the bite.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
If you take all the precautions, then there is a slim slim chance of getting bitten. That includes using something like tongs and a hook, or even just tongs. Keeping the snake extended away from your body.
I cant say for sure that is the most risk free way, as Im not personally a hot keeper. But thats the method my friend uses, and he's never been bitten in 3 years of keeping hots. Cobras, Vipers, Rattlers...

Old 10-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
Mustangrde1
Nice looking trap jaw! I have a very special place in my heart for those buggers especially the babies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!