dumb ATB - anybody had this happen? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
hhmoore
dumb ATB - anybody had this happen?

I know that ATBs spend more time on the ground than their name implies, and I have witnessed this in my own collection (with certain individuals doing it more than others). This however is a new one for me. I have 1 that curls up inside her water bowl. before anyone says it, it isn't due to a humidity deficit - she is kept exactly the same way as the other 14 ATBs, (pretty much the same as my ETBs). I usually just leave a smaller bowl in with her to avoid this; as once she goes in, she stays in. well, I put one in that was big enough for her to get into, and she did...and she stayed there. things were kinda hectic, and she looked fine (and I know she does this) so I left her there. after 5 days - feeding day- I pulled her out. she had a few big white blisters, presumably where she was contacting the bowl the hardest - one on the side of her head, and 3 on her body. kept her dry for 4 days, just raking the mulch around to keep humidity halfway decent. then I ended up piercing the blisters and swabbing with virosol. she's eating, and almost good as new...just not very bright. so much for those people that always claim that snakes will do what is best for them.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
Wow, that's really weird. Two weeks ago I bought two ATBs at a show, supposed to be females but, of course, when I had them probed, males.

One liked to stay in the water dish and I thought that was pretty odd. Turned out it had mites. My friend bought a bunch of snakes off the same person I got the ATB with mites from and all of them had mites too!

I'm not saying yours has mites, you'd have noticed it by now.

I'm just getting into ATBS and have 3.1 AARGH, and I'm reading everything I can on them so keep posting as to what happens w/the one the blisters.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
hhmoore
nope, definitely not mites.
she should be good as new when she sheds again - its just kinda weird to see her like this. she is bright yellow, with some sparse black speckling...and 4 white BLOTCHES. one of these days, I'll have to take pics of some of my favorites.

To all planning on attending: see ya at Hamburg :>D

Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Karen Hulvey
Harold:
I have to see pics of your snakes. They sound like real beauties.

Mine are all different shades of browns, garden phases. I have a female I think is gravid. She had a huge swelling mid abdomen last month and I thought she was about to have babies but since no babies came (and no big poo either) and the swelling is gone now I think maybe she ovulated? I'm new at this and really don't know what I'm doing. (if ya can't tell.) Here's a pic of 'ole fatty and the swelling I thought was babies.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
hhmoore
well she shed last night, and at a glance is good as new (more interested in biting than being examined thoroughly...mainly cuz she's HUNGRY). I'll get some batteries for the dig cam, and try to figure out how to post pics.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
Scion0
I had an ATB do just that two weeks ago--sit inside a water bowl too small for him for five days--a week before it shed. It disturbed me a little that he did this, but I left him alone. I did take a pic though. For me, in Massachussets, maintaining high humidity in isolated cages during the winter and spring months is a challenge, but I think I do an adequate job of it.

The thing that I find interesting about your case is the white blisters. It makes me wonder about what material the bowl she was in is made of, and what kind of chems you use to clean the cages and bowls. Also I'm wondering if the blistery ATB shed in one piece. I guess it's been two months since this all happened, how is she now?

I took the pic (attached) because I thought it was too funny that he couldn't fit all the way in there....
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
hhmoore
I have both ceramic and plastic bowls. cleaned with antibacterial dish soap when visibly soiled, disinfected with chlorhexidine, and thoroughly rinsed. the blisters were nothing more than pressure ulcers, from a situation much like the one you picture above. it has now happened with 2 of them - the first one I treated as previously described, and she shed perfectly and had no evidence of trauma afterward. the second I did exactly the same, EXCEPT I did not pierce the blisters before swabbing them with chlorhexidine...that one had "sores" visible after the shed, now discolored areas which I hope will shed clear.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!