Two plead guilty to dumping cut-up python, 'Baby' - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Two plead guilty to dumping cut-up python, 'Baby'

Two men pleaded guilty Wednesday in Lake County Circuit Court for their role in cutting up and disposing of the carcass of "Baby," the giant python of Serpent Safari in Gurnee Mills.

Sliced-up sections of Baby, including a 5-foot-long tail section, had been found Oct. 29 in a wooded property in Warren Township. The store owner initially denied the remains were Baby's.

Kevin R. Curtis, 20 of Lake Villa, and Randall W. Frolich, 21 of Lindenhurst, both entered negotiated guilty pleas Wednesday to reduced charges, petty offenses of improper disposal of an animal carcass.

The recommended pleas and sentences were negotiated by defense attorney Timothy Konz and prosecutor Scott Turk.

Associate Judge Charles Johnson accepted both recommendations and sentenced the pair to conditional discharge, with $100 fines and 40 hours of public service work. Curtis was also ordered to make a $200 donation to A Safe Place, a shelter for abused women and their children.

Baby was once listed in the Guinness Book Of World Records as the heaviest snake in captivity -- 403 pounds. She was 27 feet long. Her age was estimated at more than 27 years old.

The snake died of "the snake form of heart disease" last Oct. 29, a day after undergoing surgery, store owner Lou Daddano had told The News-Sun Nov. 3. That came a day after he claimed the snake had died one year earlier and had been cremated. Daddano contended that the two men had offered to dispose of the snake, and he agreed, but he didn't know they planned to cut it up.

Daddano could not be reached Wednesday. Other store spokesmen said Curtis is still employed, as a part-time "tour guide and zoo-keeper," and that Frolich is Curtis' friend but has never worked there.

Jerry Lange, who owns the 10-acre woods, had been touring his parcel with friends when they stumbled on "Baby's" tail section. Lange had become suspicious earlier in the day when he saw Curtis drive a van to the backwoods area.

Curtis eventually told Lake County sheriff's deputies that the snake remains were left in the wooded area in the hopes that coyotes would dispose of what was left of "Baby" and the store would avoid negative publicity.

Other sections of "Baby" were located in the woods and disposed of by Lake County Animal Control officials, who said the remains could have been harmful to any animals who might have eaten them.

Link to Article
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (34.1 KB, 197 views)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Casey Hulse
Very sad. Baby was a tremendous animal. I am sure she brought the owner of the exibit enough money over the years to afford her a proper burial.

I think it was about $8 per person to view his display about 5 years ago.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Ginger Ambrose
Any animal deserves better. As Casey, stated this beautiful girl made alot of money for this man. I would be willing to say she was the beginning of many young herpers
"addiction". It is so sad that she would end her days in the care of humans in this manner. May she rest in peace now.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
ms_terese
I don't think it entered my mind that Baby (or any snake of similar size) would not be offered to museums to utilize for display. There is an artistic studio in our area that wasted no time contacting us after we moved in, wanting to discuss our willingness to provide them with any snakes that died so they could be immortalized in professional displays.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
barbie69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
I don't think it entered my mind that Baby (or any snake of similar size) would not be offered to museums to utilize for display. There is an artistic studio in our area that wasted no time contacting us after we moved in, wanting to discuss our willingness to provide them with any snakes that died so they could be immortalized in professional displays.
That would have been ideal I think....it was just wrong that they felt the need to mutilte and discard such a big (literally) part of snake history that so many people have visited over the years!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
I couldn't agree more. Baby was a famous snake, everyone who's involved with the hobby knew of her. It's extremely saddening that such an animal would end up being considered to be 400 pounds of garbage to be disposed of when her usefulness was over.
I couldn't imagine having a snake like that and not having her mounted at the least. Even better would have been to use the plastization (sp?) technique to really immortalize her for continued display in a museum.
I would be willing to bet with her being a record holder the Smithsonian would have been interested in her for the natural history museum.

To care so little about such a legacy as to merely chop her up so the remains could be moved easily and tossed in the woods is unbelievable.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Wolfy-hound
I would like to thank Clay Davenport for finding the news articles for us! I never seem to have time to search out reptile news online, but I know I can always come here and see what he has dug up for us! Thanks Clay!
And in regards to Baby, they really should have thought better than to dump body parts of such a lovely animal, especially on someone else's land! If they wanted to dump her, they could have done so in a garbage dump, burned the body, or any number of better thought-out things, including all the above reccomendations that would have celebrated her place in herp history. Terribly lazy and thoughtless thing for them to have done.
Wolfy

Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Seamus Haley
She was never... lovely... she was overfed to the point of neglect in order to push her size and hit and maintain that record by the scumbag owners of a murderhole deathtrap of a zoological institution. The death isn't surprising nor is some form of scumbag behavior on the part of her former owners... just the fact that their scumbag disposal wasn't directly a moneymaking scheme.

It is a shame that this ended the way it did, but it was a shame that a four hundred pound sausage was being fed about five times what it should have been because feeding time drew bigger crowds... the same way it was a shame when Serpent Safari posted those photos of their axanthic chondro and it was just under an intense blue light and the same way it was a shame when they got some nasty publicity for doing those "educational shows" where voids would be freehandled and then encouraged to strike at balloons... Did anyone *really* expect anything positive to result from those clowns?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
She was never... lovely... she was overfed to the point of neglect in order to push her size and hit and maintain that record by the scumbag owners of a murderhole deathtrap of a zoological institution. The death isn't surprising nor is some form of scumbag behavior on the part of her former owners... just the fact that their scumbag disposal wasn't directly a moneymaking scheme.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
nothing furry
100%

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!