New Special Report on UVB Reptile Health Problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Dave W.
New Special Report on UVB Reptile Health Problems

Howdy All,

(Sorry for the delay getting this posted here. I originally posted elsewhere 9-25-07)

I want to bring attention to the new information presented in within the last few hours on the http://www.uvguide.co.uk/ UVB website. See " New Special Report" at the top of the site. A number of us reptile keepers have been helping Dr. Frances Baines with her recent research by contacting the manufacturers, supplying case histories as well as shipping the suspect products themselves to her in the UK. The products involved in this recent study are the ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamps and, more rarely, 5.0 Compact Lamps, Big Apple Herpetological Mystic Lamp, and now the addition of the R-Zilla Desert 50 series lamps. The information added is extensive.

You'll want to read through the information yourself but I might summarize things by saying that at a minimum, these powerful UVB sources need a keeper's special attention to insure that injury doesn't result from their use. I have personally viewed the damage that can be caused by the R-Zilla Desert 50 series when baby panther and veiled chameleons were exposed to it over a period of a few days. Death was the result. The keepers involved in those incidents said that trouble came fast, including skin blisters and snow blindness. The manufacturers/suppliers involved in these products are taking actions to address these issues and more information will follow. Don't panic. If your reptiles are not having problems right now, it is likely that your chameleons or other reptiles are not going to have them meaning that the lamp you are using and its distance to your reptile is safe. READ THE ARTICLE TO BE SURE. Our thanks should go to Dr. Baines and the rest of the group of dedicated keepers and researchers that made the UK UVB possible.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Dave W.
Howdy All, (Originally posted 9-27-07 elsewhere)

Some good news! Central Garden & Pet -- Aquatics division is stopping distribution of the R-Zilla Desert 50 UVB light and are offering refunds to anyone who returns theirs. They are reformulating the phosphor blend to give the correct spectral distribution. They really stepped up to the plate on this one!

See the September 26th letter: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherap....htm#responses

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Great someone else is concerned with this as well! I posted the same report in the bearded dragon section, & on several other forums, too!
Yes, it is a huge problem. Thanks for helping out & getting the word out.
I appreciate it. I am going to inform some other people of the new updates as well. I was hoping it would be soon, as Frances had projected. It is a start anyway.
Thanks!

Tracie

Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
pantherdude
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...03812_0_BG.jpg
Could this be what is wrong with my chams eyes? I dont use either of the brands listed tho

Old 11-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

What type & brand of UVB light do you use?
What type & brand of supplementation are you using?

Tracie

Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
lizardsrock
Hello!

I have a Veiled Chameleon. I had one that died last week. I would like to know your recommendations for lighting, light distance, basking and area temps.

I also would like your suggestions for vitamins / supplements too.

Brands, watts, UVB rating, etc!

THANKS!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrock
I would like to know your recommendations for lighting, light distance, basking and area temps.

I also would like your suggestions for vitamins / supplements too.

Brands, watts, UVB rating...
Howdy,

A popular and effective UVB light source is the ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube (not compact) of any length from 18" to 48"; whatever fits on top of the chameleon's enclosure. He should be able to get within ~6"-12" of the tube's surface without any plastic or glass in-between. The enclosure screen will reduce the effective output but you'll still be within acceptable limits.

A simple ~75W flood lamp is a reasonable basking lamp to start with while determining basking site temps. Many Keepers use 90-95F for the basking temp and 70F for the lower gradient temp. 60F at night is acceptable and usually can be maintained without any added nighttime heat source.

Common products used for calcium are Rep-Cal, and/or Minerall. Both of these products should be purchased with and without vitamin D3 so that you can setup a schedule for both. Herptivite is a good source for the other necessary vitamins. (Now would probably be a good time to have you split this into a separate thread regarding anything other topic than dangerous UVB products ).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!