Candoia baby Fiji Boas first shed pics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Candoia baby Fiji Boas first shed pics

The baby Fiji boas are now three months old and going into shed like crazy! Here are pics of one of the orange ones - these are just glowing golden when they shed out.

This one was the runt - 7gms in last photos now a strapping 12 gms and gorging on gecko tails (held in chopsticks) once a week.

This post: pre-shed feeding pics, next post - what a difference a day makes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corrigan 12 gms.jpg (362.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Corrigan preshed.jpg (262.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Corrigan feeding.jpg (220.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Corrigan nom.jpg (352.6 KB, 83 views)

Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Helenthereef
And literally 48 hours later, post shed in glorious technicolour!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corrigan shed.jpg (196.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Corrigan post shed.jpg (282.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Corrigan nose.jpg (347.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Corrigan shed face.jpg (210.7 KB, 72 views)

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Corrigan

and her name is Corrigan: "Little Queen"

"Corrigan, according to the folklore of Brittany is a female færy. She is said to have been one of the ancient druidesses, and therefore malicious towards Christian priests. Corrigan is fond of pretty human children, and is usually blamed for all changeling substitutions."

Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Payara
Awesome pics. She looks amazing. Just curious, where are you getting the gecko tails from?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payara View Post
Just curious, where are you getting the gecko tails from?
We have house geckos all over the place, so we literally pick them off the walls! (I'm in a tropical environment)

Problem is finding ones small enough for these babies, as they really need hatchlings. I have friends with properties out in wooded areas where they get very large house geckos (and even larger forest geckos), so they catch them for me, we kill and freeze them, then break off the tails for the babies and feed the bodies to the adults - waste not want not!

We even have a small cottage industry going - I pay kids from local villages 50c per gecko if they bring them in alive....

Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
looking great! I'm so glad they are doing well! The gecko tail being eaten is such a cute pic!

(nice rings too! I love big/lots of rings)

Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Payara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
We have house geckos all over the place, so we literally pick them off the walls! (I'm in a tropical environment)

Problem is finding ones small enough for these babies, as they really need hatchlings. I have friends with properties out in wooded areas where they get very large house geckos (and even larger forest geckos), so they catch them for me, we kill and freeze them, then break off the tails for the babies and feed the bodies to the adults - waste not want not!

We even have a small cottage industry going - I pay kids from local villages 50c per gecko if they bring them in alive....
This might be stupid question, but don't the adults get big enough to eat mice? Or are they just too hard to wean off of gecko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
The gecko tail being eaten is such a cute pic!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payara View Post
This might be stupid question, but don't the adults get big enough to eat mice? Or are they just too hard to wean off of gecko?

I'm sure they'd eat mice in time - the adults have taken a mouse and also a rat with great enthusiasm. I don't feed them those because I'm not in a place where reliable and clean food animals are available (Fiji!). The ones I've used were obtained by friend's cats and dogs!

Thanks for nice comments everyone, I'm loving raising these - so far 6 out of the 13 have found new (adoring!) families, 2 are awaiting pick up, and one has made a (successful) jail break and is roaming free....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!