Time to evaluate the issue of replies in the classified ad sections. - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Has the "no reply" policy in classified ads helped or hindered?
Yes. Re-enable all replies to the classifieds sections. 179 50.42%
No. Keep it as it is with replies to the classifieds disabled for non-paying members. 127 35.77%
Didn't go far enough. Disable replies in the classifieds sections to ALL members. 36 10.14%
What? I wondered why I couldn't reply to classified ads! 10 2.82%
There are classified ads here? 3 0.85%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #91
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
I see your point, don't you think it would discourage any scammers?

Not enough to make it a requirement. I would say the ones it would discourage are the scammers that are new & really bad at it.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #92
hhmoore
The main benefit would be from weeding out the people the didn't use their real names; and even that wouldn't be 100% effective. While I think pay to play might fare better for the classifieds than it did for the BOI; I think such a move (especially at this time) would be counter to Rich's intended goals.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #93
WebSlave
Well, there really isn't any overwhelming choice being made in the poll concerning any of the options, but the desire to re-open the classifieds to replies does appear to be more popular than the alternatives.

Quite frankly, it's disconcerting to me to see nearly 3,000 registered members logging in here every day, yet not even 10 percent of them will bother to post anything anywhere. What is lacking in incentive for the remaining 90+ percent to post a reply to something? Surely they have enough interest to have registered here and then come back to visit. Surely there must be SOMETHING they would like to talk about?

So my suspicion is that many are coming here strictly to view the classifieds sections. So perhaps it would be conducive to breaking the ice with them if they COULD reply to ads, and maybe that would lead to more participation elsewhere on this site once that ice has been fractured. The longer they are here, the more they might look around, and decide to just get involved in a discussion that they stumble on.

Will there be problems? Of course! But maybe it would be best if I just stay out of the way of what people want to DO here. After all, this really is a discussion forum site, is it not? So maybe I need to encourage DISCUSSIONS whenever, and where ever people may want to engage in them.

Thread (ad) starters will still have the capability to lock their ads if they prefer to NOT have replies, which can be easily done from their Classifieds Control Panel. So with this in mind, each author of every classified ad can manage the discussion themselves within their own ad. If a particular member is just being a gadfly with a generally annoying presence in the classifieds, then that person can be dealt with specifically.

Of course, no decision like this has to be permanent. If it appears to be causing more problems than it is solving, then I can always try another direction to try to make it better, overall. Wouldn't be the first time that I've had to flip flop from one decision to the other just to see which one seems better TODAY.

Oh yeah, as best I can recall, there is still code in place whereby the thread starter of a classified ad cannot reply to their own ad till someone else replies to it. This was done to try to limit the amount of rampant bumping taking place, and for now I don't see any reason to remove that code. Truth be known, has it really been much better with people just creating new identical ads instead of bumping old ones? Even though they will delete those ads, they are really only soft deletes, so they are still taking up a tremendous amount of space in the database. But I'll leave the anti-bumping code in place for now and just evaluate that when it appears I need to.

Will this remove the incentive for some advertisers becoming paying members so they can bump their ads easily from the Classifieds Control Panel? Maybe so. But I'm hoping the increase in traffic and just general interest in CONVERSATIONS in and about the classifieds will make up for it on the bottom line.

So there it is. Yeah, I know... Some people will hate the change and others will like it. Pretty much par for the course, but it's my job to try to look at the long term and try to do what I THINK may make things better overall for the majority of the people here. I am sorry there are no perfect answers for anything. Never have been, and probably never will be. But like it or not, let's just see what happens, OK?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #94
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painteds4Life View Post
I do not want to go to the bump festival. Keep it the way it is. If you could do what rcarichter says that would be awesome.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #95
yeloowtang
I can omly speak for myself, but i'm sure many others do the same..
been visiting for a long time and decided to register.
I don't post that often but i do enjoy reading and BOI.. lots of good information and great people..
I'm from Canada so most of the adds in the clasified are in the States and sadly i can't buy anything... sometimes some will say the can ship but rarely so.. i did try to reply a few times just because an animal was just too amazing, either just to let the buyer know or to ask questions..but can't !!!
I know the PM is there for that... but beeing active on other forums in Canada, when you put something up for sale, answering the same things over and over can be reduced if allowed in the adds.. others will see the ???? and don't need to ask..
but i understand your point as well because, you always get people who will abuse by bumping or critisize the sellers add...

and it's always a risk of getting flamed when trying to help.. many different ways to do things right but others ,sometimes don't see it this way and will discredit others just becasue they can.. this can shy people away... i've seen that everywhere and is the #1 reason why you always see the same ones on the boards... if they can't get along and flame others... for sure the newbies and quiet ones will just stay back and read.. to be honest... nothing can be done about that unless you have a migical way of forcing respect of others to everyone..

this is a great place to get information , good deals and friends .
hats off to all the mods and owner because i would not want to have to deal with all the issues it involves.. just like herding cats

Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #96
hhmoore
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed seeing these old ads hauled up from the depths so people can ask if the animals are still available...

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #97
Charis
Indeed. How difficult would it be to either auto lock or delete classified ads after a certain period, like maybe a year? Just throwing that out there.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #98
WebSlave
Maybe it will bring the people back who originally posted those ads that haven't logged in here for a while.

But at least those people posting the queries aren't asking us why they can't post there or just scratching their head and leaving in frustration because they can't figure out why.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #99
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Indeed. How difficult would it be to either auto lock or delete classified ads after a certain period, like maybe a year? Just throwing that out there.
AutoLock - I have no idea.
Deleting - The old answer was that those ads still brought traffic to the site by coming up in searches. Were that not the case; I'd be largely in favor of ads going poof at the one year mark...even though I leave a few of my old ads up as examples of my animals.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #100
RichsBallPythons
I know auto delete is possible aka Pruning. My forum has the setting to auto prune threads with no activity for a year and move them to another category. Where i can either reset it and move back to original category or just delete it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!