This is Really a Shame! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
And your point is?

At least, I was doing it the RIGHT way, even though it wasn't the best video. The first video feeding went down without a hitch. This one twin twisted at the last minute.

If you MUST know, the third snake that I was also feeding, thrived and was eventually sold.

I can't believe that you are still insisiting that you did it "the right way"!!

For goodness sakes, it's one thing if you admit that being new and not knowing what you were doing, and it was a mistake...."I'll learn and do it correctly and safely the next time sort of thing (though there really shouldn't be a next time) but to deny all wrongdoing....do you really want some other real newbie learning form what YOU did thinking that's how it's supposed to be done??

Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
deborahbroadus
Isn't that what everyone does? Offer an opinion although they may have made mistakes?

Trying to understand something here...everyone that has made a mistake or fed a snake the wrong way is a *hyprocrite* if they crititize or offer an opinion on anything anyone else does?

(One thing at a time.)

Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
jasballs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
No, it was not the right way. A snake that has to be fed that way (which BTW, if you really knew what you were doing you should never have to resort to using a pump) should be fed with flexible catheter of some sort attached to the end of that thing, not by having a piece of steel shoved down it's throat. I showed that video to my husband, a 25+ year professional zoo keeper, and he was utterly horrified by your "technique".

As I said in my original post however many months ago when Seamus first posted the link to the video, you are a newbie and therefore it is understandable that you will make husbandry mistakes. We all have, and of course we all still do occasionally. No one knows everything, right. But for you to go around chastising others for what, in my opinion, are less drastic instances of less than perfect housing situations, is a bit hypocritical.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Cat_72
Quote:

Trying to understand something here...everyone that has made a mistake or fed a snake the wrong way is a *hyprocrite* if they crititize or offer an opinion on anything anyone else does?
I have made mistakes, and will admit those...and learn how to do it right.
Not keep insisiting what I did was right.....I have the guts to admit when I'm wrong.

If you can't see what you've done wrong and learn from it, yet still criticize others who may not know any better....yep, you're a hypocrite.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I can't believe that you are still insisiting that you did it "the right way"!!

For goodness sakes, it's one thing if you admit that being new and not knowing what you were doing, and it was a mistake...."I'll learn and do it correctly and safely the next time sort of thing (though there really shouldn't be a next time) but to deny all wrongdoing....do you really want some other real newbie learning form what YOU did thinking that's how it's supposed to be done??
"Still insisting??"

Whew. Ok...there are several opinions on this. Some insist that the snake was handled roughly and abused. There is nothing that I can do about that. It is a matter of opinion because IMO, there is NO simple way to make a snake take what it doesn't want, there will be a struggle. Of course if the video of everything going right was shown then perhaps the verdict would be different, perhaps?

btw: I did have the tubes..they don't hold those little tiny babies still.

As my Vet did it, the direct entry..straightest entry to the stomach is straight. He used a rubber tube. I was afraid to use a rubber tube (I might have punctured something...the tubes where rounded, smooth and long enough to go over the air pipe to the throat and down into the stomach. When the snake twisted, he blocked the point of entry and if I had not pushed the food back down it might have clogged his air tube and more than likely killed him..those vids do not show exactly how small those hatchlings were and I am going by my OWN experience. (Usually, I had someone helping (had visitors living with me at the time). Unfortunately THIS time, it was just me alone doing everything. (my friends hands were busy and I didn't think to ask for help until things went wrong with the SECOND video. In this second video, which is posted, the feeding went wrong, I do not see how that means that I did it wrong.

But for the sake of peace...you can all beat me with a wet noodle and I will say I am GUILTY of poor judgement. I will NEVER let another living soul video anything I do.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
There were THREE snakes (two were twins) If I am feeding all of them the same way and not having issues till this ONCE..I suppose that means I have been doing it the wrong way all along. Everyone has an opinion. That's what makes America so great!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #17
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
No, it was not the right way. A snake that has to be fed that way (which BTW, if you really knew what you were doing you should never have to resort to using a pump) should be fed with flexible catheter of some sort attached to the end of that thing, not by having a piece of steel shoved down it's throat. I showed that video to my husband, a 25+ year professional zoo keeper, and he was utterly horrified by your "technique".

As I said in my original post however many months ago when Seamus first posted the link to the video, you are a newbie and therefore it is understandable that you will make husbandry mistakes. We all have, and of course we all still do occasionally. No one knows everything, right. But for you to go around chastising others for what, in my opinion, are less drastic instances of less than perfect housing situations, is a bit hypocritical.

Thank you for your opinion.

Here's mine, I used a "piece of steel" that was DESIGNED for this purpose. So how does that make what I did wrong?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #18
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I have made mistakes, and will admit those...and learn how to do it right.
Not keep insisiting what I did was right.....I have the guts to admit when I'm wrong.

If you can't see what you've done wrong and learn from it, yet still criticize others who may not know any better....yep, you're a hypocrite.
The same can be said of me. BUT the difference is: I have to know that I am wrong. I don't just say I am wrong because a lot of people that I don't know say so and weren't in my shoes.

I do admit that I learned that there is a less invasive way, BUT like I said, being there and experiencing it..I did the best I could and at that time it was the right thing for me and the only thing that I could do in my opinion.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
Cat_72
You listed off some of the things you did wrong yourself.

As I said, if you can't just admit that you made a mistake, or there was a better way to do it....

Just because you didn't happen to kill off one out of the three...that doesn't mean you were doing it right. Maybe it just means the snake got darn lucky.

Just like the people that say, "I've kept my Ball Python with nothing but a heat lamp, and they've always done just fine!"

Heat lamps were DESIGNED for the purpose of supplying heat....does that mean they are the right thing, or the best thing to use?

See the hypocrisy?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
Cat_72
Quote:
I do admit that I learned that there is a less invasive way, BUT like I said, being there and experiencing it..I did the best I could and at that time it was the right thing for me and the only thing that I could do in my opinion.
See? There's a step in the right direction!

You did the best you could....you were working with what you knew at the time....but have learned there is a better and safer way of doing it.

Right?

Quote:
I don't just say I am wrong because a lot of people that I don't know say so and weren't in my shoes.
Perhaps you don't know these people, but when they come from folks like professional breeders and zoo keepers....isn't it in the animal's best interest to maybe take the advice of those more qualified than yourself to determine what's not the correct way (i.e. the wrong way) of doing things?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!