Exanthematicus (Savannah Monitor) progress - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
dekaybrown
Exanthematicus (Savannah Monitor) progress

Cera let me handle her twice, even rested on my arm for a little bit. No bites, no tail whips!! (only took 8 months of patience to earn a little trust from her)

So as a reward, I let her out to roam. Took measurements too.

Littlefoot is 30 inches long, Cera is 27 inches long.

I got a few pictures... (unfortunately, not while on my arm.)

Cera on the way out.

You looking at me???

So after I put Cera back, Littlefoot got a turn....

This one turned out weird, mouth open, nictitating membrane closed..

And what would a photo shoot be without a tripod shot??

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
dekaybrown
Digging machines.........

and up the tree...

what a dirty boy.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
dekaybrown
Deep soil moisture looks good.

The soil directly under the platform was dried out, as expected since the basking light is shining right on it.

Cera does a tripod for a giblet.

littlefoot covered in mud..

Littlefoot tearing up the giblets..

Cera chowed down too...

Just look at that profile...

Let's see a fat Savannah Monitor do a yoga move like this one!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
dekaybrown

Can't forget Littlefoot.. He poses so nice.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
NIGRO51
Amazing pictures!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
dekaybrown

Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Matt Schubarth
Can't wait for my Savannahs to grow a little bit so I could justify a similar setup- the behavioral activities must be awesome to watch. Great shots. Cera sure looks like she'd color right up with a spit shine

Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Schubarth View Post
Can't wait for my Savannahs to grow a little bit so I could justify a similar setup- the behavioral activities must be awesome to watch. Great shots. Cera sure looks like she'd color right up with a spit shine
Thank you for the compliment.

Not sure what you mean by "justify" a similar setup?

It's called the necessary set up for proper growth, development and good health.

Captive Monitor Caging Importance! (link to web page)

They grew up in that cage from the day they arrived.

This photo is the same lizard, same location less than a year apart.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Matt Schubarth
I would say that your set up far exceeds the requirement in raising a baby savannah if that's what you are asking. I do in fact appreciate your enthusiasm but I would also go so far to say that in an inexperienced keepers hands, setups of very large size for babies could kill more Savannah's than it saves since condition control and health monitoring(lil pun there) increase with enclosure size.

I had the pleasure of talking with Mike Balsai 16 years ago over the phone after he had published the expanded version of the Savannah Monitors Owner Manual. I had a monster(5 foot 10 inches) Mangrove monitor that I wanted to brag about. Very enlightening conversation on what the real issues are with monitors in captivity.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Schubarth View Post
I would say that your set up far exceeds the requirement in raising a baby savannah if that's what you are asking. I do in fact appreciate your enthusiasm but I would also go so far to say that in an inexperienced keepers hands, setups of very large size for babies could kill more Savannah's than it saves since condition control and health monitoring(lil pun there) increase with enclosure size.

I had the pleasure of talking with Mike Balsai 16 years ago over the phone after he had published the expanded version of the Savannah Monitors Owner Manual. I had a monster(5 foot 10 inches) Mangrove monitor that I wanted to brag about. Very enlightening conversation on what the real issues are with monitors in captivity.
Lucky you

Hope we can just agree to disagree on the subject, because (forgive the expression) any mental midget can run my enclosure.

It's merely the standard trio of 50 watt basking lamps and a box full of dirt.

Those lizards used every inch of the enclosure, and I simply cannot justify the whole "grow up enclosure" BS, obviously born from the overeager keepers who feel some need to handle their monitors excessively, after all trying to catch a 5 inch lizard in an 8 foot box is challenging.

Give my web site a read, it should put things in perspective.

Monitor keeping in general has needed improvement forever, and I have the utmost respect for any of the biologists out there, but even Daniel Bennett does not think the same way he did a decade ago, we are all learning every day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!