Green Iguana Question/Need advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
earljohnbell2
Green Iguana Question/Need advice

I got my green Iguana roughly 3 months ago and she(I believe anyway) is still rather young, my guessing is about 8months old maybe 10. She was in a 10 gallon for the first month or so to get her used to my and I held her daily and bathed he daily and fed her different squash and asparagus daily. She ate every night 99% of the time. I moved her to a much larger cage shortly after that I had for a previous Nile Monitor that I got rid of and she wouldn't eat and all she did was hide. Never basked even. After 5 days of her not eating I moved her back to the 10 gallon and she began eating nightly again after 2-3 days. She was less skiddish in the smaller tank as well. I put a divider in the cage and split it in half where now houses one of my balls on the other side and her on the adjacent. She didnt eat the first two nights and ate two nights ago finally. But she still doesn't move around in the cage. Where ever she is put she usually stays until something scares her or I take her out to hold her. I let her get used to the cage for 3 days without me holding her to try and make her feel more safe and she has fresh water and food daily, just isn't eating nightly like she used to. She should probably start sheding soon so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it or if its just being scared of the larger cage. Advice ? I love her to death and know an iguana takes a long time when super young bought to get tame and she is gorgeous with blue on her neck and top of her head even! I would love to keep her but am afraid that if I keep moving her back and fourth she will get too stressed and probably not eat again .

Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
hadenglock
I would try putting her in her own cage completely away from your ball python first. Then make sure your using proper lighting I.e. UVB lighting. This is crucial in your iguanas growth and psychological well being. For baby iguanas I keep the in cages that are COVERED in green foliage decorations and cage furnishings from top to bottom. This will make her feel safe knowing there are many hiding spots in her vicinity. If you want more info I strongly urge you to go here www.anapsid.org and look for Melissa's care guide on iggys, hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
iggirl1
Green Iguana

This is a very good site for Iguanas, I have personally used this site and diet for 7 yrs with my Iguana. http://www.iguanaden.org/diet/dendiet.htm From what I read I believe the cage is to large for "her" right now. I would put some ramps to different levels as Iguanas love to be high up. Make a food shelf on a lower level shelf on the cool side of "her" cage. Iguanas like to forage during the day after warming up. and best info be patient it takes YEARS for Iguanas to trust you. best wishes iggirl1.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I'm not an iguana keeper, so this may not be pertinent, but if her original tub was very small, could you put it INSIDE the new enclosure so that she can go in and out of it as she gets used to the new place?

Oops, just realised your original post was months ago. Did she work it out?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!