Another mealworm thread - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
Xelda
Another mealworm thread

I have to eat my own words after reading Kelli's post on the other thread about the mealworm chewing its way out. Am I the only one freaked out about this?

Here's what I'm thinking though: It may actually do MORE harm to your leo to feed freshly molted mealworms. The softer ones never seem to get munched up as thoroughly, and from the way my leos speedily gobble them up, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them get swallowed whole.

So that's why I'm going to stop with feeding freshly molted mealworms if I can help it. To be honest, I don't think it even helps with digestion. I have one baby I fed ONLY freshly molted mealworms to, and she was still pooping out their shells like everyone else. Doesn't seem like any of my leos who eat mealworms ever have a problem with digestion anyway.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Intense Herpetoculture
Personally, I'm not woried about feeding mealworms to geckos. Kelli's pretty sure that the mealworm ate it's way out, but Kelli has raised thousands of geckos, and this is the first time she has known this to happen. I've done it for years without problems, and I may encounter a problem or two here and there, that'll be it, freak occurances.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
progeckos
I agree with Justyn. It doesn’t bother me at all either. When the gecko chomps on the mealworm it should pretty much kill it and once it reaches the stomach acids it’s dead. Just think of the thousands of people that use mealworms as food and haven’t had problems.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
KelliH
Yeah like Justyn said I am pretty sure that is what happened. I was real hesitant to post about it actually. I did not want to scare anyone. Trust me, I have fed mealies for years. I have raised thousands of baby geckos. I have had this happen one time. That tells me the chances of this happening are like 1 in 3000 or something.

It was a freaky thing yes, but also a freak occurance. So keep feeding mealworms, freshly molted or not. I still am!

Old 09-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Gregg M
I just do not see how it is physicaly possable for a mealworm to survive being atleast bitten then swallowed and to live in stomach acid for a long enough period to be able to chew through a leos insides then out of its skin...... I am just having a hard time putting it together...... Kelli, did you see the mealworm actually exiting the leo???? If not it could be a possability that the leo died and the mealworm went into the leo..... I have heard this urban legend a hundred times..... I have been keeping insect eating reptile for as long as I can remember and have never seen this happen.... I know alot of people in the hobby and it has never happend to them...... I guess there is a chance of it happening..... Anything can happen, but I think it would be way more than 1 in 3000.....

Old 09-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Jeremy Letkey
I am still in awe. I also do not see how this is a possibility. I am not doubting Kelli. I am just haveing trouble understanding it. I did a stupid little experiment. I took a ziplock sandwich bag ( to simulate the stomach) added a tablespoon of water and a tablespoon of orange juice ( to simulate stomach fluid ). I removed most of the air, added a fairly large mealie and sealed it. I checked the mealie in five minute intervals. When I checked after the first five I was surprised to find it still alive. However after the next five there were no signs of life. It is dead, as it has not moved in about to days. Yes I still have the dumb thing still sitting in a bowl. Now I know that this is by no means a very scientific method. I realize I have no control group and only tested one worm. I am satisfied though. I feel safe that even if the worm doesn't get chomped, that the lack of air or the stomach fluid will do the job before they could eat their way out.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
KelliH
I know it sounds unbelievable, but I am 99% sure that is what happened. I did a necropsy of sorts, and there was a hole coming from the animals stomach to its side. I did take several pictures of this also, and would be happy to email them to anyone, but I don't think I want to post them here. I'm sure you guys understand why.

Think about this also: the gecko was very healthy, a 25-30 gram leo. I fed everyone the night before, and discovered this the very next day. I too considered the fact that perhaps the animal had died and then been eaten into by the mealworm, but after looking at the whole picture I don't think so. I truly believe this was a freak occurance.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #8
Gregg M
Well all I can say is I am glad to did a photo document of it..... I would be very interested in seeing the pics...... When you get a chance send them over...... Thanks for the info Kelli.....

Old 09-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #9
Xelda
Maybe the calcium neutralized the stomach acids?

Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #10
Devious_bunny
Quote:
Originally posted by Xelda
Maybe the calcium neutralized the stomach acids?

....Thats makes SO much sense! After all thats the main ingredient in all those Tums things! Maybe somebody should do that experement again with a Dusted worm vs. a not dusted worm?? just see what happens, maybe if somebody could get a hold of some HCl (hydrochloric acid) we could do an even better simulation!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!